Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Defenders of the Realm» Forums » News

Subject: Defenders of the Realm Quest Expansion Update, and Some Other Stuff rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

For those of you interested in the Quests of the Realm Expansion, I thought I would share an update of where we are at present.

The testing of the Quests of the Realm Expansion has been completed and I am currently finalizing the cards to submit to Eagle Games for them to determine when to add to their publication cycle. This expansion, as most of you know, will provide full size cards for the Quests, replacing the current Quest deck in the game. This new Quest Deck contains all the cards from the Defenders of the Realm base game and the Dragon Expansion and in some cases changes the originals.

For example, Scouting the Generals can gain different levels of rewards now, but also has some risk.

This new Quest deck will also include many new Quests, the majority of new Quests have been submitted by you, the heroes of the realm. And, as promised, if you have a Quest that will be printed in this expansion, you will be receiving a free copy when printed. Additionally, and I think this is kind of cool, your name will appear on the bottom of the Quest card you submitted (tiny type - but I think this is nice for each of you).

Also in this expansion will be Fellowship cards. These cards are distributed at the start of the game and link the heroes to each other with a back-story and provide a benefit to those in fellowship during the course of play.

As it stands now, the Quests of the Realm Expansion will include 82 Quests, 24 Fellowship Cards and 2 Quest Dice.

I would like to thank the play testers of the Quest Pack. They did a great job and their feedback improved this expansion significantly, and I truly appreciate their help and support on the project.

OK - that is where we stand on the Quest Expansion Pack. The publication date has not been set, but hopefully not too far into the future.

Additionally, for those of you interested in more direct conflict, the Defenders of the Realm: Battlefields is just now going off to press. In my opinion it is a very fun direct battle card game for 2 - 4 players where you can take the Heroes or the Dark Lord's armies and battle over many of the locations you have come to know, and hopefully love, in the realm - each providing a benefit to the winner of the battle. You may want to check it out as more information become available over the next month. With the completion of that project I am back to focusing on the Troll Alliance Expansion and hope to complete that project design by the end of January and begin testing sometime in February. I will update you as that project moves along.

In closing I want to thank all of you for buying my game, and especially for enjoying it enough to share some of your sessions, ideas, or even questions on BGG for all to enjoy. I would also like to thank Eagle Games for the support they give to this game and their willingness to continue and expand the realm.

I wish each of you a very Happy Holiday Season and look forward to a great New Year.

Richard

Disclaimer: As always, I must add a disclaimer that Eagle Games makes all final decisions on their publications including when (and if) it will be produced as what will be the final components. Having said that, I believe they are as excited about the Quest Expansion as I am, and as many of you are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Stewart
United States
Owego
NY
flag msg tools
designer
www.drunkassgames.com
badge
!!!NERD ALERT!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in for the Quest of the Realm Expansion!!!

Woot!

Happy Holidays Richard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Petty
United States
Leander
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait for this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great update. Thanks.

But a request of Eagle Games on the Quests expansion. Please please make the box/packaging a sensibly size. Given the compenents mentioned the Hero expansion sized box would seem more than adequate. Here's hoping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate T.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
nom nom nom
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds great! It will be nice to have full size quest cards and the fellowship aspect looks exciting.
Thanks to Richard and Eagle games for continued support of this great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Launius wrote:
For those of you interested in the Quests of the Realm Expansion, I thought I would share an update of where we are at present.

Thanks for taking the time to make your design process very transparent tand participatory (e.g. Quest cards). It is one reason (among many) that I bought DotR and continue to enjoy it.

Richard Launius wrote:
Also in this expansion will be Fellowship cards. These cards are distributed at the start of the game and link the heroes to each other with a back-story and provide a benefit to those in fellowship during the course of play.

I love this idea and I hope it works out so that it is worthwhile to complete these quests. Sometimes there is quite the time crunch for defeating the generals such that taking two heroes off the front lines to complete the quest could be very tricky. Do these typically have rewards that are more powerful than the solo quests?

Thematically I really like the idea because lots of excellent stories involve the characters needing to achieve multiple goals along the path toward defeating/thwarting the antagonist.

Richard Launius wrote:
As it stands now, the Quests of the Realm Expansion will include 82 Quests, 24 Fellowship Cards and 2 Quest Dice.

Count me in for a copy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very much looking forward to the new Quests of the Realm expansion! Richard, thank you so much for always keeping us informed and updated on the current progress of your projects as well as answering questions. It's very appreciated! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent support as usual from Richard and Eagle Games. Great stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news!

Count me in on a copy.

I really appreciate the time you invest in keeping us updated!

While there are a few other games I have higher on my list, I believe you are on the top of my list of designers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really looking forward to these expansions in 2012 Richard. Thanks (again) for producing such a great game and all the supporting material.

Have a great Christmas and wishing you all the best for the new year.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds FANTASTIC! Thanks for the update, Richard, and for producing a game that I REALLY love!

Best wishes for a wonderful Christmas season! Looking forward to more Defenders in 2012!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds superb. This game just gets better and better! What a classic it has become!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kingsley
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Richard and the play testers for all your hard work. Here is to hoping that this expansion and others get published.

Enjoy the holidays everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
Germany
Kassel
Deutschland/UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is great news, does anyone know how much it will approx. cost though?

I did not buy the expansion because the price is frankly ridiculous (60 Euros, give me a break) and I hope Eagle Games gets a bit more reasonable for a bunch of cards and two dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
I'll be first in line to pick this up - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news!
Impatient for Trolls but will buy the quests!
Quote:

May I ask about Generals - The Call of the Dark Lord: This expansion comes with 4 new General sculpts and their General cards, 4 new Minion cards, new Global Effect cards, and New Quests and any tokens needed to bring the new Generals to life. Also Darkness Spreads and hero cards reflecting the new Generals.

Target Release Date: 4th Quarter 2011

Just for information. I am more pleased about the Troll Alliance and their new board.

I also remember a Hero expansion but like a prequel where you have adventures that defines your hero and your powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B.
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My copy of Defenders of the Realm arrived in the mail this Monday as a birthday present and the first game was every bit as awesome as BGG lead me to expect!

I'm very excited about the Quests of the Realm Expansion and was wondering if anyone had a recent update about it. Specifically, does anyone know what 2012 quarter to expect it in (I can't wait to order it!)? Does anyone know if any of the new quests are group quests, or will they all be solo quests?

Also, thank you Richard Launius for your active posting on BGG! Seeing that played a major role in me asking for Defenders of the Realm as my birthday present this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scythe!
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
mbmbmbmbmb
jbraga wrote:
My copy of Defenders of the Realm arrived in the mail this Monday as a birthday present and the first game was every bit as awesome as BGG lead me to expect!
Welcome to the Realm, John!

jbraga wrote:
I'm very excited about the Quests of the Realm Expansion and was wondering if anyone had a recent update about it. Specifically, does anyone know what 2012 quarter to expect it in (I can't wait to order it!)?
There is no release Q-date yet planned for the Quests of the Realm Expansion. I just spoke to Richard about it recently and he was expecting to talk to Keith at Eagle games very soon to see exactly where they stand on this expansion. Hopefully we will get some news in the not too distant future.

jbraga wrote:
Does anyone know if any of the new quests are group quests, or will they all be solo quests?
While I can not say with any certainty that no Group Quests will be included, the final version that the play testers saw did not contain any Group Quests. It was strictly reworkings of the base game/Dragon expansion Quests along with the fan submitted solo Quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me get this strait: You guys are spending ALL this time making "Quests of the Realm". There are already group quests out there. And there are not going to be any group quests in an expansion called "Quests of the Realm" in a cooperative game with quests in it?
shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scythe!
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
mbmbmbmbmb
I assure you that there will be more than enough Questing fun to be had with all of the new Quests and Fellowship cards - there's no need to be disappointed.

Besides, perhaps Richard is planning to save these for a 'Group Quests of the Realm' expansion later down the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B.
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you Rob; I appreciate the welcome and information! Once the release date is know I'll be marking my calendar and ordering it at the first opportunity.

I asked about the group quests because I was reading through the print and play content and saw some of them in there and talk about more in the future, but no reference in the forums about wether they'd be included in this expansion. It seemed like a natural fit, but I'll be completely thrilled with the expansion even without group quests. And, if Richard does decide to make a "Group Quests of the Realm Expansion" in the future it would instantly become a must buy item for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Any update on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my spin. This game needs a new publisher. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya. Everyone I know that plays this game would snap up the quest expansion in a heartbeat. The fact they are taking so long is just unfathomable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me SO much of the fate of BattleLore. But when THAT game went to the new publisher (FFG), practically nothing came of it there, either. yuk Sad, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.