Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Risk Legacy» Forums » General

Subject: original or legacy first? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fairfaxx
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hello Riskers.

I'm getting together with a bunch of friends in january. one of them wants to play risk, as he has never played it before but has heard of it.

should i play the original risk first with them and then maybe try legacy if they like it? or should i just play legacy straight away and skip the original risk?

it will be a mix of gamers and non-gamers playing.

I have the original risk which with the right group of friends is still great fun but am thinking of trying to get a copy of legacy.

many thxs
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
legacy is better. so yeah....
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Names and numbers.
badge
I haven't changed this in years and I don't intend to start now.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Legacy was designed to cater to people who already know the basic Risk mechanics.

If they've never played any wargame before, I'd say play a game of original Risk. The fundamentals of area control, troop distribution, supply lines, and the probabilities involved with attacking and defending are concepts that Legacy assumes all players are heavily familiar with.

If one player isn't familiar with those concepts, not only will they be at a disadvantage for the first couple of games, but the permanent nature of the game means that they might make some mistakes that they'll sorely regret later, and they'll ultimately blame their inexperience for the mistakes.

So, if they're familiar with other wargame type games, it doesn't matter if they've played Risk. The tactics in Risk are watered down versions of more complex games. However, if the only board game they've played is something like Dominion or Ticket to Ride, show them Risk Original before Legacy.

EDIT: All of THAT being said, you only need like one game to really 'get' Risk. So buy Legacy regardless, and kick off your game day with a game of original to teach the concepts if need be. That's what I would do with a group that had never played Risk.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would personally just skip straight to Risk Legacy. You say you still have fun with original Risk, so that might be an option, but in my mind, any of the newer versions (with different win conditions than simply "take over the entire map") is preferable to old school Risk.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
metaridley18 wrote:
Well, Legacy was designed to cater to people who already know the basic Risk mechanics.

If they've never played any wargame before, I'd say play a game of original Risk. The fundamentals of area control, troop distribution, supply lines, and the probabilities involved with attacking and defending are concepts that Legacy assumes all players are heavily familiar with.

If one player isn't familiar with those concepts, not only will they be at a disadvantage for the first couple of games, but the permanent nature of the game means that they might make some mistakes that they'll sorely regret later, and they'll ultimately blame their inexperience for the mistakes.

So, if they're familiar with other wargame type games, it doesn't matter if they've played Risk. The tactics in Risk are watered down versions of more complex games. However, if the only board game they've played is something like Dominion or Ticket to Ride, show them Risk Original before Legacy.


This is also a good point. However, my first game of Risk Legacy was with two players who are new to Risk entirely. The mechanics are simple enough that they were able to pick them up quickly, and one of them even won it. If your players all want to start on an even playing field, then maybe a single game of original Risk is in order. However, in doing that, you run the risk (har har) of boring them into not wanting to play Legacy due to a four hour game of back-and-forth classic Risk.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree with Jordan. You might as well go right to Legacy. There really isn't a significant complexity difference between original Risk and Legacy, at least with the first game or two of Legacy. (Eventually more rules are added, but by that point you're just adding on to what you already know.) It is very close to original Risk in terms of combat and territories and resource cards. A few small differences, but the main difference being that Legacy is much, much shorter and IMO, a lot more fun.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's anything that Risk 2210 and Nexus Ops did, it was that they figured out what the fatal flaw in original Risk was: one extremely sloggerific victory condition.

Risk: Legacy is the latest in the "fixed" Risk genre.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl von Laudermann
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
metaridley18 wrote:
Well, Legacy was designed to cater to people who already know the basic Risk mechanics.

If they've never played any wargame before, I'd say play a game of original Risk. The fundamentals of area control, troop distribution, supply lines, and the probabilities involved with attacking and defending are concepts that Legacy assumes all players are heavily familiar with.

I strongly disagree with this statement. Like any other boardgame, the rulebook in Risk Legacy is complete and self-contained, and explains everything that the players need to know in order to play it. There is nothing in it that requires players to be familiar with previous versions of Risk.

In fact, only one guy in my group of Risk Legacy players is greatly familiar with original Risk, and so far he's been playing the most poorly out of all of us, never even coming close to winning. This is because he keeps making strategic decisions that are more appropriate to original Risk, instead of going after the actual win conditions of Risk Legacy.

Finally, the rules and components of Risk Legacy start out fairly simple, with more complexity added over the course of multiple games as sealed packets are opened. Thus, it has a much gentler learning curve than a game that starts with everything available, so it is more suited to beginners.

In short, I recommend just starting with Risk Legacy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendation would be to:

d10-1Buy Risk Legacy, and download the rules to classic Risk online

d10-2Play a game or two of classic Risk as best you can using The Risk Legacy components. Territory cards and troop bonuses would be tricky, but you can always just use the Risk legacy territory cards and troop bonuses while keeping all of the other classic Risk rules. (In fact, I think it improves the mechanics of classic Risk to do so)

d10-3Once all players have a feel for how Risk works, start your Risk Legacy games.

Risk Legacy is a far better game. Doing this allows all players to get a feel for the strategy of Risk before delving into Risk Legacy, without having to buy both games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP mentioned that he already has a copy of classic Risk, so that shouldn't really be a problem. I still think it's questionable whether it's necessary for new players to play a couple games of "classic" Risk before playing [good] Risk Legacy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
The OP mentioned that he already has a copy of classic Risk, so that shouldn't really be a problem. I still think it's questionable whether it's necessary for new players to play a couple games of "classic" Risk before playing [good] Risk Legacy.


1) Defend your HQ.
2) Acquire continents and high-value territories.
3) ???
4) SIGN THE BOARD!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Humpert
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
While I would certainly choose Risk Legacy over vanilla Risk, I would actually use Risk (Revised Edition) to introduce a new player to the system. It has the mechanics of regular Risk, but throws in missions and special abilities, which of course Legacy takes to the max. So use the Revised Edition to whet his whistle, and if he still seems interested throw down for some Legacy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the group. I think I would play at least one game of regular risk to get people familiarized with the game.

When I introduced Risk to two people once, they left so many territories weak, open etc. It was hard not to exploit those advantages. In the end, I really had to hold back because I could have wiped the board with them really early on.

if this is how your first game of Legacy is going to go, you may prefer some experience under the belt.

I get the impression that those who are saying "go straight with legacy" are those that despise the original risk.

Are these players avid board gamers? or not really into board games? If they are avid gamers, then I'd go with Legacy, because they could probably pick it up fairly quickly.

If they are rather new to games in general, then go with Regular risk for at least one game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
Legacy. Its so much better
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Names and numbers.
badge
I haven't changed this in years and I don't intend to start now.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
karlvonl wrote:
metaridley18 wrote:
Well, Legacy was designed to cater to people who already know the basic Risk mechanics.


I strongly disagree with this statement. Like any other boardgame, the rulebook in Risk Legacy is complete and self-contained, and explains everything that the players need to know in order to play it. There is nothing in it that requires players to be familiar with previous versions of Risk.

...

In short, I recommend just starting with Risk Legacy.


While nothing is wrong with your conclusion, and some groups may like it this way, the statement you disagree with is indeed true.

The designer himself says that Risk Legacy is designed for people who have played Risk.

Source: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7990289#7990289

Risk is simple enough, and some players may do okay picking up the concepts as they go. I'm just saying that inexperience may lead them to do things they regret later, and you should at least give them the option of learning the basics first.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Holden
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that if in doubt, play a few games of Legacy in which no one changes the board. Don't even pass out scars. Then, when you're comfortable, go ahead and start playing "for real." That said, my game's first two signors were the people who had never touched Risk before in their lives.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.