Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to get a light war game, I like memoir 44 and monsterpoc.
I thought I wanted a game that used the memoir system at first but now I see that others are good as well so could anyone recommend a light war game that can be played fast like 44 can

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Elliott
United States
West Harrison
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games that use the same basic battle system, but are different enough to merit a purchase are...

Battlelore
Battles for Westeros.

I feel that both of these games offer slightly more strategic depth than Memoir (although I only played vanilla M44.) Battlelore uses a deck building mechanic and some battlefield formations and some hero characters. BfW forgoes the left, right and center card play of those battle systems and instead focuses on leaders on the battlefield. When cards activate leaders, you are able to activate units within a certain distance from that leader, which for some reason makes the game feel slightly more realistic and strategic although admittedly my experience with it has been brief (but extremely enjoyable.)

If you are looking for a step up in complexity and length (which your post clearly said that you weren't but I gotta throw it out there because I'm a big fan) look no further than Tide of Iron.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Commands & Colors: Ancients

Also, if you check out the websites for companies such as GMT and MMP, you'll find that they usually offer a complexity rating for each of their games. These can offer you a good idea of what you're getting yourself into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bmwrider wrote:
could anyone recommend a light war game that can be played fast like 44 can

When you say "played fast" do you mean?
1. Game moves fairly briskly
2. Total game length within some limit (60 minutes, 90 minutes, etc...)

Any of the Command & Colors games should work. If you don't mind the game being somewhat longer as long as it's simple and moves along maybe try Hammer of the Scots? There are probably a lot more, but I'm don't know that many wargames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bmwrider wrote:
I would like to get a light war game, I like memoir 44

Wow, it seems like this exact same question is posted once a month here, its really too bad that BGG does not do "stickies" for repeating topics like this. Its also interesting to me that it always starts out "I like Memoir '44", almost without exception.

Okay, I'm not picking on you, and I do plan to help you out. BUT, one thing not usually pointed out in the avalanche of suggestions is that "wargames" is just a catch-all phrase that is just about on its way to losing its meaning. The genre has such a huge variety that it almost warranted sub-genres. It's kind of like beer. If I said "recommend me a beer" there is a very high chance that you might suggest something I will dislike in the extreme (esp. if it's sweet)

Don't worry, I'm not that easily put off beer, but similarly I do not want to put you off wargames. What exactly about M44 did you like? Mechanics? Scale? Complexity? Knowing this will really help give you a decent suggestion.

In the meantime, have a look at this geeklist to get an idea of the wide variety from which you have to choose, lots of good light games in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold the Line is somewhat similar to Memoir '44 (but no cards or plastic pieces). If you like the American Revolutionary War, it might work for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A REALLY light and fast war game is The Battle for Hill 218. It's done with two decks and has great mechanics. One of my favorite two-player games, hands down. In fact, I like it so much I wrote a review http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/645008/a-brief-glowing-r...

It may not be what you're looking for, but if you want a two-player game that plays quickly, it's a lot of fun. Combination of skill and chance (b/c you draw cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayfield
United States
flag msg tools
bmwrider wrote:
I thought I wanted a game that used the memoir system at first but now I see that others are good as well

the first 3 posts suggest C&C games (which is what the OP refers to as the Memoir system)

he wants suggestions for other games that don't use C&C\Memoir system
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"Laser-focused, with a half thought-out plan, this is what a hero looks like." -Narrator in the 2018 Peter Rabbit movie.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan
Tank on Tank
Julius Caesar
Blue Max
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayfield
United States
flag msg tools
Cowboys: The Way of the Gun
Mission Command Air
Boots on the Ground
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cannon
United States
Marion
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might like Manoeuvre, It's quick and light warfare in the 19th century.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
bmwrider wrote:
could anyone recommend a light war game that can be played fast like 44 can

When you say "played fast" do you mean?
1. Game moves fairly briskly
2. Total game length within some limit (60 minutes, 90 minutes, etc...)

Any of the Command & Colors games should work. If you don't mind the game being somewhat longer as long as it's simple and moves along maybe try Hammer of the Scots? There are probably a lot more, but I'm don't know that many wargames
j

I mean total game time, I would like to be able to play the game when I don't have much time, so one hr. approx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
In my mind there are two types of wargames. You may have a preference for one over the other, and that could affect your choices.

1). Replays of real historical battles (SPI, Avalon Hill, Columbia, OSG, etc.) using real historical units and maps, or,
2) Those that use units or terrain representative of a war or battle (Memoir 44, Domaine, maybe Manouevre but I haven't played it) but do not use actual units or maps. These seem to me to be more like abstracts that try to capture the feel of a battle rather than re-creating the actual battles themselves.

There are excellent choices in either category, although I favor (#1) the historical simulations and don't have much experience with #2 to recommend any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not necessarily a wargame, but I'd consider Nexus Ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nexus ops counts for me, perhaps I should have said war type game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SJBenoist wrote:
bmwrider wrote:

I mean total game time, I would like to be able to play the game when I don't have much time, so one hr. approx.

60 minutes or less will narrow your options quite a bit.

The aforementioned Manoeuvre is a good choice.

Nations at War: White Star Rising (WWII) or World at War: Eisenbach Gap (WWIII) would also make good choices.

Columbia Games games may push past your time limit at first, until you know the rules better, but I would definitely recommend trying one when you get an opportunity. Some are very light, but very different from the C&C (M'44) system, and they are a lot of fun. Try Quebec 1759.

For a card game/wargame, consider Frontline: D-Day perhaps?

If you want to give aerial combat a go, the forthcomming Wings of Glory: WW2 Starter Set is an update/reprint to Wings of War, while Sails of Glory adapts the system to the high seas (Age of Sail).

If you have more preferences, I could add others or refine the suggestions.

Ok the game does not have to be short just have the option to play it quick like memoir does, it can be a game that has a long play as well, my group prefers shorter games, long games rarely make it to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayMe1 wrote:
In my mind there are two types of wargames. You may have a preference for one over the other, and that could affect your choices.

1). Replays of real historical battles (SPI, Avalon Hill, Columbia, OSG, etc.) using real historical units and maps, or,
2) Those that use units or terrain representative of a war or battle (Memoir 44, Domaine, maybe Manouevre but I haven't played it) but do not use actual units or maps. These seem to me to be more like abstracts that try to capture the feel of a battle rather than re-creating the actual battles themselves.

There are excellent choices in either category, although I favor (#1) the historical simulations and don't have much experience with #2 to recommend any.

real history is not important, a member in my group already has memoir and battle cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Hold the Line

+1 Sekigahara

+1 Manoeuvre

These are three of my favorite lighter wargames right now.

I also enjoy CDG wargames and they can be on the lighter side.

Washington's War
Successors

Nice thing about Successors is that it is multiplayer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Isaak
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A great little intro game is
Neuroshima Hex! 3.0 brutal and quick game. When I took this to ATA no one played. When I was surplused Mike purchased two copies as the kids had loved playing it. In fact, they still do!

another good one isTank on Tank by Mark Walker. I would suggest many of his games, but some of the scenarios may take longer than an hour to play.

Corps Command: Dawn's Early Light is another good lock and load game

Commands & Colors: Napoleonics for Napolean.

Game on and enjoy. I myself am hoping to find more time to play my games either solo or by myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.