Subject: First official Scenario for War of the Ring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
The first official scenario for War of the Ring has been released.

The scenario is compatible with both the First and the Second Edition.

Check out The Breaking of the Fellowship over at Ares' site:

http://www.aresgames.eu/2343

as well as at my site:

http://www.warofthering.eu/scenario.htm

At my site you can read some of the story behind the scenario as I designed it together with Roberto DiMeglio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mont A.
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's exciting news, Veldrin. Thanks much. sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Keates
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool. Based on the setup, I wonder how much shorter the game is using this scenario?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Shaw
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exciting news. I have this sitting under the Christmas tree for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patesi LIMAC
Brazil
Recife
Pernambuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hristo Filipov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic. I remember this was a rumor years ago when Steve Owen bought me on board. Thanks Veldrin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwerve Supper
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
It is known.
badge
Almost as much as Red Cliff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just unboxed my 2nd Edition WotR Monday evening and am excited to try this scenario out. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
themothman421 wrote:
Very cool. Based on the setup, I wonder how much shorter the game is using this scenario?
I would venture to say that this scenario might be a turn shorter, but not much. It's really just a different starting position. Certainly interesting and worth playing at least once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks cool, but I want to get some plays in of the standard scenario first.

What I'm mainly impressed with is that Ares is putting out so many updates, regardless of the content. We've already had a couple of strategy articles, and now a new scenario. Way to support your game Ares!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How cool is this?!?

Frosty cool, that's what it is.

Thanks so much for the scenario!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Mohr
Germany
Leupoldsgrün
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really nice idea . Thank you very much for making this public. Maybe there will be a scenario with the Ringbearers starting in the Shire in the future?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flomo1981 wrote:
Maybe there will be a scenario with the Ringbearers starting in the Shire in the future?

Somebody posted one here years back - have a look in the Variants folder.

[edit] Found if for you: "Starting from the Shire" variant, 3rd Edition, 5/1/09
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nielson
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Mohr
Germany
Leupoldsgrün
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
flomo1981 wrote:
Maybe there will be a scenario with the Ringbearers starting in the Shire in the future?

Somebody posted one here years back - have a look in the Variants folder.

[edit] Found if for you: "Starting from the Shire" variant, 3rd Edition, 5/1/09

Thanks very much! Completely forgot that I looked at it a few weeks back and posted in the thread. Was wondering at the time whether the Variant would be influenced by the rule changes in the Second Edition. Thanks again for reminding me. I will take another look .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very cool!! I hope someone posts a printer ink-friendly version at some point! sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd been looking forward to this since it was mentioned in your interview with Roberto, Kristofer. What a beautifully laid out PDF - fun to see it official at last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting scenario - would love to try.
I wonder, though - the Balrog encounter really doesn't not count as a 3 damage hunt tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
As the scenario was tested with both editions in mind, the Balrog encounter is the EYE tile as in the Twilight expansion the EYE kills the Balrog and the Guide (Gandalf) if drawn due to the Balrog's ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
What I'm mainly impressed with is that Ares is putting out so many updates, regardless of the content. We've already had a couple of strategy articles, and now a new scenario. Way to support your game Ares!

More articles are coming in the weeks to come. Over at my site (www.warofthering.eu) you can find a clue as to how many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks fantastic. I love the way the fellowship starts split which should force some new and more interesting decisions. I also imagine this could possibly half the play time, leading to WotR hitting the table more often.

One thing I'm slightly perplexed by - if you're playing with 1st edition pieces but the 2nd edition cards and rule changes, do you need anything from Twilight of the Third Age?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
MattDP wrote:
This looks fantastic. I love the way the fellowship starts split which should force some new and more interesting decisions. I also imagine this could possibly half the play time, leading to WotR hitting the table more often.

One thing I'm slightly perplexed by - if you're playing with 1st edition pieces but the 2nd edition cards and rule changes, do you need anything from Twilight of the Third Age?

Nope.

The scenario works in three ways:

With the Second Edition (this includes First Edition base game with the Upgrade Kit)

With the base First Edition (simply follow the same setup as for the Second Edition)

With the base First Edition with the Twilight of the Third Age expansion added, follow the setup with the changes on page 11 in the scenario booklet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MattDP wrote:

If you're "playing with 1st edition pieces but the 2nd edition cards and rule changes", you're basically playing with the second edition...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave de Vil
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
They're taking the hobbitses to Isengard!

Except that they've already been slaughtered by the Rohirrim.

Actually, by the time Ugluk and the boys met their end, and M&P had escaped into Fangorn, Frodo and Sam were well up in the Emyn Muil.

Still, I suppose allowing characters to be held prisoner would constitute a major rules rewrite. But then, Merry and Pippin have been changed somewhat in the new edition anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb

Angry Martian wrote:
Actually, by the time Ugluk and the boys met their end, and M&P had escaped into Fangorn, Frodo and Sam were well up in the Emyn Muil.

So, as the FP you use your first Character Action die result to Hide the Fellowship and your second Character Action die result to move them...

and they are in the western part of the Emyn Muil.

That is if you want to "play by the book". The Shadow player won't be as inclined to follow the "historical" reference though, but hiding the Fellowship is never wrong...

This is what I believe is War of the Ring's greatest strength, the fact that YOU have to make the decisions that (might) alter the, oh so loved, narrative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.