Subject: Bent (and bendy) plastic pieces??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alasdair Clarke
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Hello,

does anybody else have a box full of horsemen with bent spears and standards? After looking forward to this game for months, I'm really dissapointed with the poor quality of the minitures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to fix it, dip the minature in nearly boiling water for a few seconds and bend it into position. It's too bad they're bent, a few of mine were, but at least it's not permanent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cast Ll'tor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
greekramos wrote:
If you want to fix it, dip the minature in nearly boiling water for a few seconds and bend it into position. It's too bad they're bent, a few of mine were, but at least it's not permanent.

Then put them in cold water, as sometimes they'll just bend back to the original position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is par for the course with miniatures of this size especially with flags, long bows, etc. The Memoir 44 minis had similar problems. You should see the curvature of some of the tank cannons

Most of the time the hot water soak alone will straighten out any warps. If not, hold the mini in position while it cools.

Also, obviously, do not place the minis in a pot on a burner. Remove pot from stove, allow to cool for a couple of minutes, then commence the dipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some bent bendy Dungeon Twister 2 Prison pieces, and I can vouch for the hot/cold water method, it worked like a charm. They snapped right back into shape, like magic, I didn't have to do any shaping at all.

For pieces of this type, I really think they should have either something in the rule book or a little flyer in the box describing the hot/cold water method and that it might be necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a tutorial with photos someone put together

How To Fix Warped or Bent Plastic Miniatures - A Thorough Tutorial

I did mine with hot water just off a boil and removed from the burner.
Lowered the minis in with a metal slotted serving spoon.
Took them out the same way, and put them immediately in a mixing bowl of ice water.
Left them in there a good long while to be safe (maybe an hour, that was probably overdoing it, but, didn't do any harm).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave de Vil
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
This is really far preferable to having pieces made in brittle plastic.
The hot water method in much easier (and permanent) than gluing on spears and axeheads that have broken off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Clarke
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
JohnnyDollar wrote:
I had some bent bendy Dungeon Twister 2 Prison pieces, and I can vouch for the hot/cold water method, it worked like a charm. They snapped right back into shape, like magic, I didn't have to do any shaping at all.

For pieces of this type, I really think they should have either something in the rule book or a little flyer in the box describing the hot/cold water method and that it might be necessary.

Agree... I've never come across this trick.

I'll go give it a try

Now I jsut need to to find somebody to play with!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Conser
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used the hot water trick on some of my pieces and it worked just great. I tried with hot tap water first, but that was not enough so I heat up the water a little more in the microwave and that seemed to do the trick. Once I took the pieces out of the water they did not need any bending or holding in place. I just made sure they were sitting upright in the hot water. Very cool little trick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both the first and second edition, and I agree with the OP. The 2nd edition pieces are very bendy. The 1st edition pieces are perfect; neither bendy nor brittle in any way. It's too bad the 2nd edition wasn't made with the same plastic.

Luckily, I can just continue to use the pieces from the 1st edition, but I feel bad for those of you with just the 2nd edition.

The hot water trick works, but only temporarily. What happens when you box the game back up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Clarke
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
When you box the game back up, the pieces get all bent out of shape again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
riadsala wrote:

Well, it's a good thing the pieces are "bendy", instead of brittle, otherwise you've have a pile of spear tips and sword points at the bottom of your box. Maybe you should remove the insert so the pieces have more room? Or, consider a fisherman's tackle box or plastic storage box, they're very easy to find in stores. Plano is probably the easiest to find brand, take a look if you haven't already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riadsala wrote:

This actually happened to you, or are you predicting?
I had some droopy spears and such, so I did the hot water trick a couple weeks ago. I put the pieces back in the box and I haven't see any problems come back.

I'm guessing the issue was at the factory, where they didn't give them time enough to cool off in their "set" position. So the hot water snaps them back, then I put them in ice water so I think they're good to go now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.