Popular Tags: [View All]
Julian Robinson
Spain
Malaga
Andalucia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

I've just got this game and have just played through a 'practice run' to get the hang of the rules etc. There is one area about which I'm uncertain

Quote:
• Draw or discard cards until you reach your Hand Limit.
• You only reconcile your hand during your own Cleanup Phase, never on an opponent’s turn.

A strict interpretation of this rule would be; for example, if you followed someone else's Warfare role and played 4 warfare cards to pick up 4 fighters you would only have 1 card left in your hand (or more depending on planet modifiers) until the end of your go.
Is this how everyone's interpreting this rule?

thanks

Julian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JulianRobinson wrote:
Hi,

I've just got this game and have just played through a 'practice run' to get the hang of the rules etc. There is one area about which I'm uncertain

Quote:
• Draw or discard cards until you reach your Hand Limit.
• You only reconcile your hand during your own Cleanup Phase, never on an opponent’s turn.

A strict interpretation of this rule would be; for example, if you followed someone else's Warfare role and played 4 warfare cards to pick up 4 fighters you would only have 1 card left in your hand (or more depending on planet modifiers) until the end of your go.
Is this how everyone's interpreting this rule?

Yep. Seems extremely clear from the rule you quoted. That's one of the considerations to make when you follow a role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destroyer of Islands
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JulianRobinson wrote:
Hi,
Julian

Yes, that's it. Although if that card is a survey card, you could draw more cards for your action before selecting a role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Robinson
Spain
Malaga
Andalucia
flag msg tools
mbmb
thanks for the quick replies.

Wanted to make sure that when I get round to teaching the rest of the family the game I get this rule correct, as it'll have a big effect on the tactics you choose.

Julian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JulianRobinson wrote:
Wanted to make sure that when I get round to teaching the rest of the family the game I get this rule correct, as it'll have a big effect on the tactics you choose.
You should also make sure you are clear on some other often-confused rules:

1) When you take the Research role and obtain a non-Permanent Technology card, it goes into your hand, not your discard pile. When you obtain a Permanent Technology card, you immediate choose one side of the card to activate and put the card into play.

2) At the end of your turn, before you re-fill your hand, you may (but do not have to) discard any or all of the cards in your hand. (Obviously, if you have more cards in hand than your hand limit, you must discard at least down to that limit.)

3) Only the Leader of the Colonize (or Warfare) Role may Settle (or Attack) a Planet. Following those Roles only allows you to place Colonize cards (or collect Fighters). (Obviously, if you have the Technology card -- the name of which escapes me at the moment -- which allows you to use the Leader bonus on those Roles even when Following, that is an exception.)

4) When you use the Research Action, the Research card you played (for the Action) may be one of the two cards that you remove from the game.

5) If you have the Utopian/Prestige Planet Expansion, you should print out the rules governing those planets; a PDF of those rules can be found on TMG's web site.

Enjoy teaching and playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes a lot of sense, too, that you do not refresh your hand (except on your own turn), because otherwise everything depends on the luck of the draw (giving you tons of extra cards each round potentially, making Dissent essentially useless).

No, no, that would not be a good idea.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
1) When you take the Research role and obtain a non-Permanent Technology card, it goes into your hand, not your discard pile.

Oi! We always played this one wrong, then... so you immediately have that card available? That makes the 3* Research cards a lot better.

Good you mentioned it here.

Bye
Thanee

P.S.

Quote:
2) ... (Obviously, if you have more cards in hand than your hand limit, you must discard at least down to that limit.)

I wouldn't call that one "obvious", really, but the rules make clear that it works that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.