BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Game Rules Explanations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Hibbard

Middletown
Ohio
msg tools
I'm TERRIBLE at explaining games (part of the reason I think my wife doesn't like to play with me). I've thought about typing up scripts for all the games I own to make them easier to explain when I play with new players. Is there anything like this for games already out here somewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.
badge
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not aware of a trend toward pretyped games explainations but there are many game videos available that give a solid overview. You can find them on the game forums or on Youtube.com.

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Though streamlined explanation script for some games would be worth a nice sum of Geek Gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a tip.

First, start with the object of the game, then, work backwards.

Example:

-The object of Agricola is to get the most points.
-To get points, you will build a farm. You will score points for how may crops you harvest, animals you breed, how big a home you build etc.
-In order to build these things, you will select actions from the board using one of your family members, by simply placing them on the action you wish to take. You may take as many actions as you have family members.
-The game starts with X number of actions, and every round, a new action is unveiled.
-After 14 rounds, the game is over.

That would provide the basic framework for her to understand everything else. The minutiae will be easier for her to internalize, once she has an understanding of the framework of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
TommyP wrote:
Though streamlined explanation script for some games would be worth a nice sum of Geek Gold.

Not likely. People seem to rarely tip or thumb files for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to the files sections of the game's page. Many of the games have a streamlined rules file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have over 30 teaching scripts for popular games at my website www.howtoplaypodcast.com as well as the audio explanations themselves, I hope they can be useful to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.