Subject: Inspired by? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that this game was inspired by Barbarian Prince and Star Smuggler. I've enjoyed Doctor Who so much I've decided to print out both of these games and give them a whirl.

Has anyone else done this?

Any thoughts on how the three reflect each other? Similarities? Differences?

I'm sure Simon has thoughts on this at the least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I have loads.

Both games were staples of my youth and I did loads to pimp them up - BP especially but I also did a Star Wars version of SS.

DWSSG existed, in a really rough nasty and dirty form, almost 20 years ago in a way. The idea of having paragraphs that would tell a story - but not like a Fighting Fantasy linear one - was intriguing, and I knew it could be done with any type of genre.

The breakthrough with Doctor Who, apart from my own love and knowledge of it, came with the Plot - Enemy - Goal - Defeat structure as it mirrors the TV structure well.

And I know that with the curent trend of say co-op board games such as Arkham Horror and Lord of the Rings Card game, that DWSSG could be converted that way too. Imagine a starter box with a 'season' of 10 adventures - each with a miniboard and some figures. Play through the 10 episodes in the starter and then get a new season each year with a new expansion. I think that could be a winner too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mackenzie
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Barbarian Prince and SS are both great games. They were staple parts of my roleplaying youth along with Warhammer and Fighting Fantasy. They are both worth a play today, however, in my opinion Simon has outdone both of them and playing them will feel like a bit of a step backwards but still worth a go!

I have been working on a version using Simon's refined system inspired by BP and SS. It really does lend itself to any episodic character-driven show/book/comic. Simon has done a fantastic job with DW because of his love of and knowledge of the subject. I hope I can do the same justice to my chosen context!! Hopefully it will be playable in early 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure this is a bad 80's reference, but I've felt like the old Quantum Leap tv show concept would lend itself well to the DWSSG structure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon, I love the idea of a 2player co-op with one player as the doctor and the other as the conpanion. Are you working on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
Simon, I love the idea of a 2player co-op with one player as the doctor and the other as the conpanion. Are you working on this?

Just vague ideas as I said previously.

The problem with a co-op of Doctor Who (or any genre with a central figure - James Bond, Indiana Jones, Sherlok Holmes etc - all of whom could use the SSG engine as it is now) is that the central figure far outshines the 'companions' - be they Amy Pond, Bond girls, Marion Ravenwood or Dr Watson. So how do you get round that one player id far superior to the others in stats and skills?

Take it in turns to play him perhaps? But that's messy.

Everyone play 'a Doctor' perhaps? Messy again and suddenly it's not a co-op but players doing their own thing on different adventures - which could be with the game as it stands right now!

If anyone could get me around this sticky issue - i'd be grateful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mackenzie
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my Sherlock version I am currently play testing, I made Watson important for such things as Brawn and Weaponry. If there needs to be a fight then he's the man. In essence Watson provides Holmes with a third dimension he can't do without. He also has the Medicine trait that Holmes is not allowed to have... Which is dead useful in the game!

This would need to be carefully balanced in a 2-player co-op. I agree that a context dominated by one central character would be problematic for 2-player. You would need to look for a context with 2 or more important characters (X-Files, SG-1, West Wing) for co-op to work fairly. I don't think you could 'share' one character amongst many players - messy is definitely the word!

With Who in mind, you could have an expansion with multiple doctors (2 Docs, 3 Docs, 5 Docs, Time Crash) and tailor the rules and adventure length to suit a co-op version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mackenzie
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dragoncymru wrote:
Everyone play 'a Doctor' perhaps? Messy again and suddenly it's not a co-op but players doing their own thing on different adventures - which could be with the game as it stands right now!

If anyone could get me around this sticky issue - i'd be grateful!

This is tricky. I've been thinking about it and I wonder whether it takes the game away from what it was designed to do. Is it necessary to try and change this game, which is tuned to being a fantastic solo experience, or instead play one of the games that is designed to be co-op? Or is this defeatist?

Obviously when you have a great concept and a great game like this, then you want to make it suit lots of playing experiences. In my gaming time I play this specifically when my gaming group is not available. Thus it fills the niche it was designed to fill.

I would look to create a game (using this system) that is co-op by design. As has been said previously, a context with an ensemble cast of characters. I'm considering X Files as my next venture. I will let you know how the 1 or 2 player concept pans out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Cromer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
devil

Great ideas. Keeping the game solo is the best way to go. Thats what I love about Simons Doctor Who game. Using NPC that contributes to the main character makes sense. Doctor Watson is a great example. Theres so many ways to go with this format. The real key is executing the theme like doctor who. Simon has found the right format and has made it work. Waiting to see who else can make it work like Simon. Good luck.

Freebird out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Defintely. I'm all about keeping the game solo... If there was a coop, it would have to be an entirely different game, built on some of the same game mechanics.

In other news, I've played three games of Barbarian Prince. I can definitely say I miss my "Luck" as well as the episodic element of Doctor Who. The 12 turn limit really keeps the game from feeling like it's dragging on, and gives natural breaking points for a campaign feel. With 10 weeks of 7 days each (or 70 turns) Barbarian Prince can feel like it's dragging, even though a game is actually shorter than the Doctor.

Really impressive improvements on a quality game Simon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

2012 I think will be a good year for the game too starting with 'Silence Will Fall' in February and then of course, our very own season in April.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.