Subject: Unbalanced rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Magician ..
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just about to pick this up to play over the Christmas because I had heard it was very good but after reading the comments here Im starting to think its going to be unbalanced (be playing 3-5 most of the time) I dont see the point if the same house wins all the time, is this actually the case or am I worrying for nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgios P.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It won't be easy. But it can be done.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it's heavily asymmetrical and requires players to keep each other in check, and by extension pushes diplomacy further into the focus of the game.

With three and six players, the board is to busy to require too much skill to screw up the plans of other players. Even with five players the game is reasonably even, due to two different houses fighting over the neutral areas.

The big issue has to do with four-player games. Due to the way neutral zones are placed, and the location of the participating houses to one another, it requires a coordinated effort by Lannister, Stark (and to an extent Greyjoy) to keep Baratheon in check.

Somebody mentioned in another thread, that it can make the first few turns in a four-player game feel "scripted", and this might be true. But I think there are enough ways to tool with the set-up in a four-player game that an acceptable variant should be easy to find.

EDIT: Such as using Tyrell instead of Greyjoy, when playing with four players. Or by using Tide of Battle cards, when marching into neutral areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Stampley
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't go so far to say unbalanced, it is still a great game. I just wouldn't recommend the 4 player game as is out of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baron VonJimmy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
From what I've seen, I would say that only with 4 players is the game unbalanced. With 5 players it feels more.. asymmetric, but manageable through diplomacy and awareness. 3/6 players seem fine.

This is with the stock rules, mind. I'm pretty sure there's a solid variant out there already that brings balance to the 4/5 player game. Just need to test them.

Despite all this, I'm looking forward playing this some more, myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magician ..
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok guys cheers for the input sure I'll give it a go and if it turns out for the worst nothing a bit of turkey wont cure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.