1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Tired of Euros rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
msg tools
mb
I am getting a bit burnt out on Euros...

Every weekend we seem to be pushing cubes. We play the odd ameritrash game, but I find it's not enough.

Right now, I am looking into Chaos in the Old World since I am looking for a Risk style game.

I will look into any game suggested here, it doesn't have to be "risk like".

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Merchants & Marauders. It is a little euro-ish (trading) but there is dice combat and pirates(!!!). A little long, but fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion ...

Dungeons and Dragons: Conquest of Nerath... Attack! Attack! Attack! No turtling here. May be a bit more like Axis and Allies in a fantasy setting than Risk ... great figures, nice map, lots of polyhedral dice, 2-4 players. Lots and lots of mayhemic fun.

Good luck in your quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Succession: Intrigue in the Royal Court
Lots of direct interaction with other players. Mostly a bidding game, but the "choose a player to blame" mechanics are interesting.

Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game
This game is heavy on theme and general wackiness. It can be played as a competitive game or includes additional rules and cards to play as a co-op. Anything goes in this zany invasion.

The Resistance
A "party game" with a gritty feel more appropriate for gamers. Find out who the spy is by socializing with other players and observing whether or not they sabotage missions. Of course, you will always be a suspect yourself. It comes in a small box, so its a cheap and portable game if that matters at all to you.

Arkham Horror
This game is as close to an RPG on a board as I've seen yet. You play as an investigator with your own unique stats, equipment, and spells as you wander Arkham, drawing random events and fighting monsters. A co-op game that takes quite awhile to play and uses a LOT of table space.

Innovation
A card game with a theme of societal development, like Civilization. Each card is a tech or society advancement of some kind and gives you new potential actions to take before it gets covered up. Card effects can be quite wacky and severe, but this is not a "draw this cool card and play it as an instant" type of game. Every card covers up a previous card and eventually gets covered up, so the nature and type of society sort of changes over time. It's interesting, fun, and engaging. It's also a cheap and portable game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
msg tools
mb
I've played both the games mentioned and like them both!
The only thing I don't like about the D&D game is that you can't play it with 3 players, which is a big turn off for me.

I actually suggested that my friend brings Merchants and Marauders this weekend, so I will probably be playing it!

EDIT: I love Resistance and I want to try Arkham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Martin
United States
Overland Park
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannot go wrong with Chaos in the Old World!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Davis
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everybody in the world should own a copy of Light Speed. It's cheap, takes 5 minutes and is tons of fun. Closest thing to playing a video game that a card game can be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first suggestion previously mentioned comes closest to your specs but then I reread your request and a couple of other great dice-fests came to mind ...

Defenders of the Realm ... A super intense co-op game ... very immersive, can be quite brutal but winnable (some of the time). Really enjoyable, colorful, nice figures, only one way to win, but several ways to lose.

Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game ... Just got into this one and we had an absolute blast, great art, figures, tons of dice rolling, can be played competitively, cooperatively, and solo. This one even comes with a soundtrack!

One caveat on these two ... They can be a bit pricey, even on line but Oh so worth it for me and my game group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Risk Legacy is a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airdroppers wrote:
I've played both the games mentioned and like them both!
The only thing I don't like about the D&D game is that you can't play it with 3 players, which is a big turn off for me.

Actually, you can play with three. I have done it. One takes two of the armies is all you need to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airdroppers wrote:
Right now, I am looking into Chaos in the Old World since I am looking for a Risk style game.

This is an area control eurogame at heart...

Why don't you try some easier wargames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
msg tools
mb
GeoMan wrote:

Why don't you try some easier wargames?

Why don't you recommend me some?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
How about Viktory II then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamey Game Gamer
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game

RoboRally

Dungeon Run

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Miller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I humbly suggest Fire & Axe: A Viking Saga. You're a viking, pillaging and settling. If you pillage the most cities you get a scoring bonus; The Bloody Axe Bonus.

Okay, they are difficult to find, but well worth whatever you pay for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Wallace, man. Wallace.

Liberté
Princes of the Renaissance
Struggle of Empires
Byzantium
Way Out West
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascending Empires
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

Arkham Horror
This game is as close to an RPG on a board as I've seen yet. You play as an investigator with your own unique stats, equipment, and spells as you wander Arkham, drawing random events and fighting monsters. A co-op game that takes quite awhile to play and uses a LOT of table space.

+1

This game is a lot of fun, as long as you are playing for the experience and not with any expectation of winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Eclipse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Miller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot Lords of Vegas. Good theme, no cubes to shove around, some die rolling, some negotiation, and many opportunities to screw the other players.

The best paper money in any Mayfair game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an alternative to Risk, how about Dust? More strategy and choices, AmeriTrash pieces and still playable in a decent timeframe. Ran my copy of Risk straight to the thrift store

"A lighter wargame" covers a lot of area, but I think anybody getting tired of pushing cubes around should maybe consider dipping a toe. My favorite light wargames I've recently played are:

Iwo Jima: Rage Against the Marines, and
Victoria Cross II

Both are easy on the rules, but heavy on theme and offer enough depth to be worth multiple plays. Neither is hexes/NATO symbols/CRT so are not really indiciative of where wargaming used to be, but both might be good examples of where it is going.

And for something completely different, may I recommend High Frontier? Realistic Space Exploration game. Not for faint of Heart, orders of magnitude more difficult than my other suggestions, but if you are interested in the subject and willing to climb a steep learning curve I think this is a great immersive experience. Admittedly does have little cubes, but they play a very minor role

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For three players, Fury of Dracula (second edition) is a great game. I second lords of Vegas. Chaos in the old world is another I like quite a bit.

For war games, Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943 or Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage are two very different, but very good places to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D a n _ C
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airdroppers wrote:
I am getting a bit burnt out on Euros...

Done. Look no further. Chaos In The Old World has tightly integrated theme, asymmetric play, and some real tension surrounding the timing of falling regions. The expansion is excellent as well, if you need to accommodate 5 players or if you want a nice variant set of card powers for 4 players.

Best area-control-with-special-powers game since the original Dune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords Of Vegas is a whole bucket of fun! It will erase any Euro-gaming memories from your cube-overstuffed-brain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.