The Resistance» Forums » Rules

Subject: trying to understand The Resistance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rebecca leigh
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I just bought The Resistance and I am trying to understand how to play it. The rules are very vague and say "after appropriate discussion" I don't really understand this part of the game. I understand what to do with the cards and such. So I am hoping for some input on what is suppose to happen during the team building phase. What kinds of discussion usually happen. And what do people say depending on whether they are a spy or resistance member? The only game I have played that is a role playing kind of game is Bang and this is very different. Any help is appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph DiMuro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play and find out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kennedy
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Discussion involves people deciding whether or not the players who have been chosen for missions are spies or not. This usually will include spies accusing other people of being spies for misdirection, accused spies vehemently denying other's accusations.

I have found that how this part of the game plays out varies depending on the group and how different people handle having to lie to their friends. It's also the heart of the game, the really fun part!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Dickson
ACT
flag msg tools
??!
badge
And when you gaze long into Ducky Momo, Ducky Momo also gazes into you.
mb
Say you've done the first mission, which failed with one spy. Now it's time to pick a group of three for mission two. So who do you pick?

Jim was on the first mission, and Fred, who also went, says he was fidgeting suspiciously and shouldn't go again. Emma says that Fred is just saying that because he was the spy and wants the attention on Jim. Anne suggests that neither of them should go. Kevin sits quietly and doesn't say anything -- possibly because he is the quiet type, possibly because he is SECRETLY A SPY. ninja

Eventually you pick some people, and then you vote, and the votes also give you more information to talk about next time. Maybe the vote succeeds and the mission goes ahead, which gives you even more information.

This goes on and on until someone wins, and Emma turns out to be an incredibly, terrifyingly good liar, while poor fidgety Jim just naturally looks suspicious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echoing the prior two posters. The crux of the Resistance is the leader's decision about who goes on a mission and who doesn't, and that decision should not be made in silence after quiet contemplation. It's a team game, so everyone trying to help the Resistance win should be figuring out who possibly is a spy and convincing the leader not to send those people on the missions... and the spies, of course, should be convincing the leader that they're trustworthy and it's the other players, the non-spies, who can't be trusted with the mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doom Finger
msg tools
badge
elgin_j wrote:
ninja

SPIONINJA!!!!!!!!111111

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
momoeight wrote:
And what do people say depending on whether they are a spy or resistance member?

Well, the spies hope there is no difference!

Tell everyone that when they look at their secret identity card, regardless of whether they're good or bad, they should smile and announce, "Oh good, I'm a good guy!" That should help set the tone.

At the start, the good guys have almost no information to go on. The first team leader, chosen at random--do they include themselves in their proposed mission? If not, why not? If they're Resistance, they'll effectively be choosing the team members at random (since they won't have any real information to base their choices on), but if they're spies, they may be deliberately seeding the mission with exactly one spy. So their selection for the first mission is the first thing to argue about, although there isn't a lot to argue about at that point.

(If you're Resistance, then anyone who argues too much at this point is a spy. Anyone who is strangely quiet is also a spy. And you can be sure that anyone who says exactly enough to convince you that they're Resistance is definitely a spy.)

It may take several votes (and several team leaders) before a first mission is approved; that's fine. (I will often vote no on the first few proposals, because I want to see who votes yes. It doesn't hurt the Resistance to have the first few proposed missions voted down; it's only five in a row which is a win for the spies.) Each time, you have a little more information (who the team leader chooses, and who votes for/against).

Then, depending on whether that first mission succeeds or fails, you want to argue over whose votes meant what. If it succeeded, then maybe there were no spies on it, and the spies knew that, which means anyone who voted against it is probably a spy. If it failed, then the spies knew it would, and anyone who voted for it is probably a spy.

(It's not until after the first mission that you have enough information to really start arguing. And keep in mind that the spies have all the information, all along, so if anyone doesn't seem to be trying to figure out who the spies are, it's them.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to The Resistance » Forum » Rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
We play this game by Forum here in the Play By Forum forum. For a good example of a game, check out PBF #8! It was one of the best games I've ever played, and still I lost. Immensely fun!

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7811559#7811559

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Clyde. For a more... genuine experience of what it can be like in person, however, check out the epic game with the audio that's posted in this forum somewhere... ah... wait... there it is...

Epic Game at Origins 2011 (Audio + Full Transcript)

That's a game right there. Although I don't suggest explaining the rules to people passing by if you're not at a con trying to sell the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
PBF games tend to have a lot more analysis and it's harder to trip up the spies... most of the time, they'll say things that they think sound innocent... where in person, there's not enough time to think about it...

If you have any stalls in conversation, ask around the table who people think the spies are and why, or who besides them is resistance, or any number of questions that will illicit responses. If everyone is staying quiet, you may have to up your game and show them what kinds of questions to ask... if you're a spy, it's much harder to do this than if you're a spy-hunting Resistance member. But it's good practice anyway because you need to be playing both sides the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a suggestion: let the first leader propose the first mission proposal and then let people vote on it. Now, for everyone voting yes on that mission but not assigned to the mission, ask them why they voted for the mission. Typically, that'll get a lot of discussion started. (If you were assigned to the mission, you can easily justify either a yes or no vote, but it's much harder to justify a yes vote to a mission you aren't on.)

(By the way, the typical answer here "I'm trying to gain information" or "I don't think you can learn much based on the first mission" or, the best/worst response being, "I'm pretty a sure a spy is on this mission but they're going to pass it anyway." In the hundreds of games I've played, these are the three typical newb responses.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah... getting your friends to start having actual reasons to vote yes is key to this game being winnable for the Resistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.