Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johnpatrick Marr
United States
Buffalo
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We attempted to play this game for the first time today with five players, two of the players having gone through the rulebook as printed. We hadn't yet found any of the resources on BGG. It was a complete and utter trainwreck; there are so many rules questions that aren't addressed in the core rules.

After an evening of research I have only two questions left. First off, could you conceivably use your entire turn (of 4AP's) to search the same room four times? We've run into the situation where one side is losing and starts playing for a draw over a win. Dropping four parasites (or more in a parasite room) on one turn can make the game much more challening for the opposing team. It's definitely playing the rules more than the game, but it seems legal.

Secondly, if you use a healing pack at the beginning of your turn, or during your turn do you immediately get the upgraded Action Points or do you have to wait until next turn to enjoy the enhanced points?

This game seems fun at the core, but I think there need to be more victory conditions. It was our first game and we already ran into a situation where the humans had all the keycards and were behind locked doors (and all the computer terminals had been placed behind locked doors with us), and the infected had every single gas can. There were 3 humans and 2 infected. It seems that cards from deceased players should absolutely be shuffled back into the item deck to brake stalemates like this.

Thanks for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you search 4 times? Yes.

I'm not exactly sure if you get the AP after you heal. I would say yes, but that's just a guess.

And as far as I'm aware, there's no stalemates in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnpatrick Marr
United States
Buffalo
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
arcane220 wrote:

The infected can win by killing all the humans, but the humans can't win by killing all the infected. In our situation, when the humans are relatively safe behind security doors and the draw deck is completely exhausted of gas cans they have no motivation to do anything other than turtle behind the door which would drag the game indefinitely. Having only played once, I'm not sure how often this would be the case, but if it CAN happen it certainly will some percentage of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
arcane220 wrote:
I'm not exactly sure if you get the AP after you heal. I would say yes, but that's just a guess.
The 2.1/2.2 rules specifically say that you do not get the extra AP:
Quote:
A player will not get to use any newly-acquired APs as a result of
healing until the start of his next turn.

Quote:
The humans can only win by torching the hive. If the infected players have collected enough of the gas cans that burning the hive is impossible, the humans lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
niftykracker wrote:
arcane220 wrote:

The infected can win by killing all the humans, but the humans can't win by killing all the infected. In our situation, when the humans are relatively safe behind security doors and the draw deck is completely exhausted of gas cans they have no motivation to do anything other than turtle behind the door which would drag the game indefinitely. Having only played once, I'm not sure how often this would be the case, but if it CAN happen it certainly will some percentage of the time.

Woelf wrote:
The humans can only win by torching the hive. If the infected players have collected enough of the gas cans that burning the hive is impossible, the humans lose.

Yep, means they lose. The humans only have one winning condition; to burn the hive. If they can't they lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnpatrick Marr
United States
Buffalo
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
arcane220 wrote:
Yep, means they lose. The humans only have one winning condition; to burn the hive. If they can't they lose.

Dang, so aside from the 2 victory conditions listed for the infected in the rule book there's also "collect ten gas cans."

I don't like it as much for a victory condition since it implies perfect knowledge of who the infected are. I thought the requirement that the infected players prove their victory conditions through the use of the heat scanner (in my early edition of the rules) was better since it didn't rely so much on everyone revealing themselves during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there's an automatic scan once the Hive comes out. If there's no infected, I would think you'd be safe to ask how many gas cans you have collectively. If you have 3, you'll win...if not, infected wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Naturally, players are free if they want to "reveal" themselves as infecters at one point and discuss their gathered cards or not.
In many cases by the end of the game some of the identities of players are known through deduction (both mechanically and through observation of suspicious behavior) so in some cases it is logical to start openly work together, as for example when the infectors are aware they collected alot of the gascans and might have striked victory.
A human with only 1 or 2 gascans in hand and no cards left in the searchdeck also realizes he just has lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Todea
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David,

Can you please clarify the Action Points issue where you heal yourself during your turn - do you get any Action Points back?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tzutzy wrote:
Can you please clarify the Action Points issue where you heal yourself during your turn - do you get any Action Points back?

It's been clarified (see the latest rules), and you don't

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Todea
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, sorry about not reading the new Version of the rules, I've just found it and I'm reading it now. It answers quite a few of the 'gray' areas that were raised by the initial version.

Thanks for your prompt reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. I can't stress enough to download the V2.2 rules.
They are printer-friendly by the way so they don't deplete your ink cartridges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.