Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rex Cobalt
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, the supply/demand semantics have been flying like so much dung in a ceiling fan. My question is this: how are people finding the game? I'd like to hear something beyond pots and pans banging as the villagers storm Castle Ebay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vinarcik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How am I finding it? Not sure which of these you meant, so here goes:

1) RIW Hobbies in Livonia, MI pre-ordered it for me. Pam's absolutely great, and she managed to get a copy for me. She only had a few other copies (due to the price point) and I believe they're sold out.

2) How do I like it? Very smooth play. Player sheet reminds me of Endeavor, a game I revere for its elegance. I'm pleased with all the little touches on the play sheet that help move the game along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely awesome, and worth the hype!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Henson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my copy from Amazon when a few popped up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
There were two sitting on the shelf at my FLGS. Amazing but true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very pleased with the game after only one play. Really looking forward to the next. I believe that I have the rules down pretty good at this point after reading the rules online, rereading them when I got the game, and then playing one game. Now strategy.... well, that is what I like about this game. I'll be developing and tweaking and countering strategies for a long time.

Intitial impression: Great game. I am glad I preordered it, and am glad that Coolstuff came through so quickly. Very cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I Got mine through a trade on this wonderfully website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the most excited I've gotten after 1 play of a game. Definitely worth the hype, and then some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
78giraffes wrote:
So, the supply/demand semantics have been flying like so much dung in a ceiling fan. My question is this: how are people finding the game? I'd like to hear something beyond pots and pans banging as the villagers storm Castle Ebay!

You shouldn't have used the word "finding" in your question.
Half of the answers you got are still about supply/demand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juuso Marttila
Finland
Jyväskylä
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great game, smooth mechanics, real sense of arms race later in game. Solid 8, could be 9 when our group learns to play bit faster so playing time/downtime -ratio turns better.

My only grievance is that in such a long game we have always had 1-2 players who know at half way that they can't get to top positions whatever they do. And yet still they have to hang around and play for 2 more hours. Rest 4-5 players have always had a blast, but I feel sorry for those players who didn't got lucky with explore (or neigbour-relations or whatever).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sami Liukkonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kantti wrote:
My only grievance is that in such a long game we have always had 1-2 players who know at half way that they can't get to top positions whatever they do.

I have to disagree with this a little. Ok, both of the four-player games I've played were fairly even, but the last couple of rounds could see 10-15 VP shifts easily. For instance, if a player is able to build two or three monoliths, that's 6-9 VPs right there. Especially the Mechanima can pull this off, as monoliths cost only 8 for them.

The other part is attacking. Since dice are involved, a single interceptor could defeat an entire enemy fleet, if sufficiently lucky. Attacking the lead player and taking a 3 VP system from them causes a 6 VP shift between the two, which is a lot.

I have to admit though, not having played 6-player games, being denied some techs for the entire game - and having a greater risk of being closed in with no avenue for exploration and colonisation - could exacerbate the gap between the more and less successful players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juho Snellman
Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
I've definitely seen players who had no realistic chance of getting a top-3 position in a 5/6p game. But the problem was the same both times: exploring too defensively. It can be tempting especially to newbie to intentionally block connections with other players, hoping to build a great empire behind a single bottleneck. This is a horrible mistake, unless you're confident of getting the wormhole generator.

In one 6p game two of the players had no connections at all except to the centre, and one more player had just an extra connection to the player who held the centre for the whole game. And the centre was of course rather well defended.. Lots of suicide runs for reputation in that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Wright
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the major delights of the game is the multiple routes to victory. The points will go to people who can adapt to the current situation.

As others have noted it's amazing how the rankings can suddenly change with a well-timed change in tactics.

This happened in a game I played where a frenzy of exploration in the last turn propelled me from a distant last place to within striking distance of the leader. In the same game another player racked up a major end of game boost in points through research. In the final scoring I think we were all within 10 points of each other.

I'd say there are no really "bad" tactics - just ones that work better than others in different situations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Cobalt
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
StroppyGnome wrote:
One of the major delights of the game is the multiple routes to victory. The points will go to people who can adapt to the current situation.

As others have noted it's amazing how the rankings can suddenly change with a well-timed change in tactics.

This happened in a game I played where a frenzy of exploration in the last turn propelled me from a distant last place to within striking distance of the leader. In the same game another player racked up a major end of game boost in points through research. In the final scoring I think we were all within 10 points of each other.

I'd say there are no really "bad" tactics - just ones that work better than others in different situations!

I agree with you entirely. It reminds me of Civilization in this regard, except in Civ you can't always jumped victory tracks and hope to win the day.

I applaud the designers on this endeavor. Despite the pervasive industry standard of typo-riddled rulebooks, I think this one is pretty perfect (if empire building is your bag).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
This game is awesome. I say it will be in the top 10 after the second print run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can wait for the second print run, but I don't really want to...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played through the game a little by myself just to understand the rules and basic game play. From my brief experience I was shocked how easy to understand most of this game is. Also having 900 pieces in the game you would think it was super complex but it really is not that bad at all. It seems like it will be really fun. I will say once you get it easily set aside 2 hours to punch and sort everything. However if you sort things well setup does not seem that bad at all. I would say the hardest part about the game is the combat system but that seems not that bad once you get the hang of it. Also the player boards are amazing and very intuitive and helpful. I really would say a lot of this game is very intuitive and the rules really makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Armstrong
United States
Bedford
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received mine last week. Punched it out and organized it, and played it for the first time (2p) last night. Loved it and I am hoping to play it again tonight with more players.

Worth the price in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This IS the game you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.