Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Wright
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Last time I played Merchants and Marauders, we had a fantastic ending that raised an interesting question. I was the first to reach 10 Glory Points, but as stated in the rules we finished out the turn. Another player subsequently sunk my ship to reach 10 points for himself. That gave him more points on the track on the board so he unambiguously won the game according to the rules. But my question is this:

If I had ended up with more points on the track itself, could I have won even though he'd just sunk my ship and killed my captain?

Thoughts? Seems like the rules would state I'd be the winner, but also seems thematically to be just wrong.

Cheers.

nate

P.S. Apologies if this has already been covered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't lose any glory points or stashed gold when your captain is killed, so if you had more points on the board (plus enough in your stash to break 10) the new captain you drew would technically be the winner.

It is a little odd thematically to have some new guy show up and say "I'm just as awesome as that other captain that died!" just in time to win, but this is a very unique situation. You could probably play the game a hundred more times and not have it happen again unless you went out of your way to make it happen.

Next time, be sure to park your ship in a port somewhere when you declare victory so no one else can pick you off to steal the win. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Wright
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd forgotten about needing to take the 10 gold out of the stash for the new captain. That would in fact make it hard to win unless you'd stashed extra gold. Good point, and thanks so much for the quick reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tretiak wrote:
Woelf wrote:
[...]

It is a little odd thematically to have some new guy show up and say "I'm just as awesome as that other captain that died!" [...]

As I see it, the player wins the game by leading a captain or more to glory. The "cup" is granted to the player who accomplished the most of great deeds, not to a controlled captain. So it's not really odd.

Except that the rulebook explicitly mentions that this is not the case and it's the captain that has the glory, not the player

Rulebook page 15 wrote:
Your new Captain is imagined to have advanced as far in his career as your previous one. For that reason you keep the number of Glory Points you have and any Gold you may have stashed (now located in the home-port of your new Captain).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Hohkala
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is there a mention WHEN the win condition is checked? The new captain will take 10 gold from the stash, possibly lowering you back under the needed 10 points in total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
twibs wrote:
Is there a mention WHEN the win condition is checked? The new captain will take 10 gold from the stash, possibly lowering you back under the needed 10 points in total.
Under the "Winning the Game" section near the beginning of the rulebook it says that players declare when they've hit 10 points, and then everyone gets to finish their final turn (so all players have had an equal number of turns).

There was some debate a while back on whether or not it was okay to wait on making that declaration in order to build up an extra "cushion" of points and/or gold, but I think the general consensus/designer intent was that you're supposed to call it right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Hohkala
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds about right.

Blazing glory. He will be remembered forever, too bad he won't be around to enjoy his newly found fame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.