Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Commands & Colors: Napoleonics Expansion #1 – The Spanish Army» Forums » General

Subject: Initial Impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(also posted at CSW)

Initial impressions

My P500 arrived 24 hours ago, so I hd the chance to crack this box open and spend some time reading...

The base set terrain tiles weren't the best in terms of thickness.

The expansion tiles / counters, are to say the least.. 'thin'

A quick flick through the scenarios found 2-3 minor errors

Militia unit labelled as MI instead of S-MI. Left wing instead of right wing in scenario desc / notes. One other which I am too tired to remember..

The scenarios look very interesting, with a good mix and range of types.

The new Spanish Guerrilla Action can be very nasty for the French.

Overall, a really nice expansion, expanding on an already great game, with 18 varied scenrios, a decent sized Spanish army, a novel new game mechanic, let down, (slightly) by the much thinner tiles / counters and one or two minor typos.

I'd give it an 8 / 10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, are the tiles thinner than the standard wargaming stock used in GMT's C&C lines?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a lot thinner

I'll try and get a pic up later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
Wait, are the tiles thinner than the standard wargaming stock used in GMT's C&C lines?

Yes, three of the new tiles are about the same thickness as two of the old ones as best I can tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the reply from GMT when I emailed them about this.

Mike,

It was a printer error on the terrain tile sheets. Won't happen on future expansions.

Thanks

Tony Curtis

manager, GMT Games LLC

so, good to hear for future expansions, going forwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh. That is unfortunate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Arena
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As usual our man Tony is ON IT!

GMT rocks. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Arena
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh ya -

I'm setting up the Spanish section of Talavera right now as a follow up to the British front from the original game that I have just finished.

We'll see how effective the new Guerrilla rules are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Stone
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salivating over this one! Not released yet here in the UK (as of 26th December)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWAlbion wrote:
Here's the reply from GMT when I emailed them about this.

Mike,

It was a printer error on the terrain tile sheets. Won't happen on future expansions.

The same problem with the Spartan expansion. I'll wait to see if the thin tiles wrap after a while before ordering.

But to be honest i am VERY disappointed because i haven't seen a SINGLE game released this year without problems. It seems that QA doesn't really matter anymore as people keep buying anything they throw at them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DeWolfe
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy just showed up this morning, I've been looking through the scenarios for the past hour or so. Maria jumps out as a really interesting challenge - how do you attack with the Spanish across that valley of death when you can't move and shoot uphill with your line units without leaving them sitting ducks for a turn or more? (So yes, I have spent the last little while thinking "How do you solve a problem like Maria?") I might end up playing that one first to see how it goes.

I really like the abbreviated reference cards, having the dice for every unit in the game in every situation on one sheet is a great idea.

As others have said, the terrain tiles are disappointingly thin. Still, it's not enough to dilute my joy at getting the expansion today. Probably won't have time to sticker today, so tomorrow I have two missions - get the Christmas tree down ASAP so I can start stickering!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.