Jens
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
I have now played one session of this game, where I managed to complete one adventure, but was horrible overrun and beaten to death by renaissance soldiers on the first turn of the second adventure. I failed to regenerate. But I was intrigued, had fun and learned from my many mistakes!

I have a few questions about the rules, which I frankly think are somewhat lacking in clarity on some points.

Movement and Locations

I (think) I have read on the forums that the designer has said that you can use the Move action to go to a Location you have already been.

This is mentioned, as far as I can see, exactly zero times in the rulebook. If there is such a rule, I think it should be in there, preferably the first thing under the Move action headline.

Also, the Move section of the rulebook says that, if you have a native with you, you can Move to a location that "appears twice" in the adventure. At first, I was confused by this and thought that you had to end up at the location two times before you were able to go there. Now, I am pretty sure it means appears twice on the location line of the adventure, which makes a lot of sense. This could easily be clarified in the rulebook.

Also, can you return to a location that you have been to on a previous visit to the adventure, using the Move action?

Friends

The rulebook does not explain Friends in detail. It says the following under Move: "Companions often have friends and family. If you land at an Adventure location where your Companion is Native
(same era and location) you may try to contact them by making a successful Move (r306e) roll." I understood this as that you're allowed to contact Friends (with a capital F) under these rules.

But apparently, you can make friends ("You may turn a surviving Ally into a Friend (encountered at exact Adventure) ..."). What does this entail? Does the ally become the Doctor's Friend, then? And how do you use them, since the only rule for meeting Friends concerns companions who are native in a certain adventure location. Common sense tells me that "encountered at exact adventure" means that you can meet this Friend my making a Move roll when you are at the Adventure where you made Friends with them. Is this correct? Whether or not, it really needs clarification. Sure, it's kind of intuitive, but such a basic rule needs to be spelled out.

fe?

In the UNIT Trait section:

"The Doctor and Companions may choose this Trait and if they do, they gain Sir Alistair
Lethbridge-Stewart (fe04) as a Friend in Post Modern Earth Adventures."

In which book do I find this "fe04"?

Time limits (suggestions for the designer)

I've read through the forums about this, and it is now clear to me that 12 is the standard turn limit for an adventure. This is not very clear.

The rulebook says that the turn limit is "usually 12 turns", which is not the same as saying "12 turns unless stated otherwise". It sounds more like "as you'll see, most adventures have limits of more or less 12 turns" which is confusing, since most adventures do not have specified time limits.

Also, you (Simon / The Designer) have said that you usually roll for any yet unseen enemy and goal if you fail an adventure. Since this can make a difference on the game, as far as I understand it (goals can have effects, or?) I think it should be in the rulebook.

However, I would think that if you have had no enemy event NOR any plot event, and thus no indication of any threat at all, then the adventure should be treated as having no enemy so far (unless the adventure states otherwise for example). In other words, if you leave to another place before anything evil happens, you don't let evil win. Does that make sense?

Thanks for a fun game! (Writing this made me realise that I had played incorrectly on some accounts, upon reading through the rules more carefully... Like that you can not try to Hide after Following, since Hiding needs to be done before any other encounter option. Which is a good thing!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
woonklepuff wrote:

fe?

In the UNIT Trait section:

"The Doctor and Companions may choose this Trait and if they do, they gain Sir Alistair
Lethbridge-Stewart (fe04) as a Friend in Post Modern Earth Adventures."

In which book do I find this "fe04"?

Page 67 of the Event Book.

fe04. Sir Alistair Lethbridge-Stewart
You have encountered one of your most beloved old friends – Sir Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart – the former Brigadier of UNIT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, let's see if I can offer help:

Moves - absolutely right on all pointsand I will clarify this in the rules - thanks.

Friends - Again initially correct. if you make an ally a Friend and then you later return to the same Adventure you can contact them witha Move Action.

Fe - fe events are at the back of the events book.

Time limit - I like your syntax and will correct it in the rules.Rolling for an unseen Goal or Enemy is purely aesthetic choice. and leaving with no Plot (and thus no Enemy - nothing nasty happening) event is not a 'lost' adventure as you say.

Keep with the game - it is very intuitive and sometimes with the vast amount of material and types of adventure, inaccuracies and other 'wobbly bits' do creep in!

Thanks for your comments - much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, thanks for the answers (both of you)!

The Friends thing makes sense, but the confusion comes from the fact that you consistently write Friends with a capital F, except for in that paragraph which explains what Friends actually do. That makes it read more like a thematic introduction than a rule.

About the fe-events thing, maybe the introduction section (which says where the different kind of paragraphs are found) should mention this. It only says that e-events are in the event booklet, and I didn't want to peek through the event booklet to see if fe-events were there, to avoid spoilers.

I will certainly keep playing the game. With these clarifications, and now that I've discovered the additional actions in the appendices, it will probably be great fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a better paragraph on Friends?

Companions often have Friends – family members or other people they know well, such as Rose Tyler knowing Mickey Smith. If you land at an Adventure location where your Companion is Native (same era and adventure location) you may contact them and have them join you by making a successful Move (r306e) roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr
Poland
flag msg tools
One of the newest expansions for the game, The Companion, has some nice additions including new actions: Meddle, Challenge and variations of Explore. I'm going to finally play with them in a few days but I can already suggest playing with them, they give more choices in early and middle part of the adventure. Also, have you found an Action Reference Sheet here on BGG? It's a valuable asset, I believe, although it has 2 or 3 mistakes which I pointed out in some topic here on BGG. I'm actually planning on making corrections, adding all additional actions and making it a 2-page sheet with everything I need to play fast and effective When I do, I'll probably add them on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just uploaded my tweaked ref sheet - so that should appear soon once cleared.

have the 2 Action Sheets in front of you and you're ready to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr
Poland
flag msg tools
This is amazing, thank you very much! Now with 2 Reference Sheets I'm going to play the game very soon, but I had quite a break from it so I'll start without too many optional rules, just all the actions, I don't want to get overwhelmed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.