Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We were three, ready to hunt for gollum. Well, almost ready, because first we had to build decks! We had a pool of one core set & the hunt for gollum expansion, and decided to build 35-card decks

Jan Van Zon
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
made a Tactics/Leadership Dwarf deck, using mostly Tactics cards and using Thalin, Gloin and Gimli as heroes.

Jules
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
badge
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
mbmbmbmbmb
made a Lore/Leadership Gondor deck with Denethor, Aragorn and Glorfindel as heroes, focusing mostly on card draw & healing.

I had a Spirit/Lore deck with Bilbo/Eowyn/Eleanor, mostly focusing on location help & cancellation.

We got off on a good start, in one turn reaching Stage 2 of the quest (helped by an initial setup of the Threat X (X=number of allies) and an Anduin Banks with threat 1).

And then the location misery began. Every turn, 2-3 locations were added to the staging area, sometimes replaced by a bunch of minions all at once - even my combat-poor deck had to find a way of blocking a Morgul orc for a few turns straight … we soon learned why the ranged keyword might be useful after all). The only clues we saw were encountered as shadow effects. There is a cruel questing turn when we meet 2x the orc with variable threat, one of which has 6 and one of which has 7 threat once we execute their “when revealed” text. All of us gained a lot of threat from that questing phase!

Turns pass, Aragorn helps (as sentinel) me to kill my orc, several Hunters from Mordor are killed by Gimli & his dwarven/eagle companions and eventually, I got my first Northern Tracker in play, the hunters were slain, and Eowyn&Glorfindel both got clues and proceeded to Stage 3. And that’s when we first got a Hunter as shadow effect. Evil! Revert to Stage 2 and try again.

Once more we encountered locations and hunters - I finally worked out that the best place for the hunters to be was engaged with other players, preferably under a Forest Snare … which is quite cool thematically, as they are also hunters looking for Gollum; what we as players want is to keep them from interfering with the hunt - and then Eowyn got a Clue. Move again to stage 3 and suddenly we notice only I can go questing now.

Luckily, Juleske’s Faramir and my Gandalf support Eowyn/Bilbo/Wandering Took/Northern Tracker & Gleowine, and we get just enough willpower to finish the quest.

cool scenario, random chat + deckbuilding + the quest took us about three hours all together.

I think we’re ready to face Dol Guldur now

EDIT: Oh, the clues you lose when you get damage go on top of the encounter deck rather than discarded ... that would have made the game shorter, I believe ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christof Hauwaert
Belgium
Maldegem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you're from Leuven. Do you play in De Spelfanaat?

I'd love to join you guys for future LOTR sessions, if I'm welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegarend wrote:
EDIT: Oh, the clues you lose when you get damage go on top of the encounter deck rather than discarded ... that would have made the game shorter, I believe ...

No kidding
Assembling decks before playing is a lot of fun! They didn't all work (stupid steward of Gondor card) but they were pretty complementary!

Oh and Christof, we play at home (because of the kids) and they're not really open house (because of the kids). We really need to make it to Spelfanaat sometime, especially since me and Con only live two streets away from it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realize that, even with 2 leadership decks, we missed a pretty good ally (Snow-bourne Rider) ... did we fail to draw him or fail to draft him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Van Zon
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Failed to draw I think. Looked back through the drafted decks and did find it in my stack, just never came up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.