air show
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, I'm quite new to this marvellous game, and I'm trying the solo play...

well,I'm not a good r4tg player yet, but it seems to me that the solo play is quite good, but unbalanced in the develop phase..

during the first 3 games, it always happened that at least two "6-points" development cards (plus the development chit) were picked up by the robot, so even if you play "easy" level, the robot scored 18 points with 3 cards only (!!!).

Maybe I was unlucky, but this is the only problem (imo, of course) of this system, that I like a lot, if you have not the possibility to play with others.

What do you think about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice is : play more, and be conservative about which phases you choose.

Against a human opponent, it's quite common at first to call a develop or settle phase, and realize afterwards that it helped your opponent more than it helped you. The robot is a harsh teacher, but it forces you to think about this fact, and ponder whether you *really* need that develop phase.

If the only developments you have are small-cost ones (as good as they may be), you're usually better off waiting for a development phase call by your opponent/the robot, and playing that card when it happens.

Since the robot can make on average 4-5 points per develop card (due to drawing 6-costs), you should only call develop under specific circumstances :
- you feel you can gain more than that out of the phase (A big 6-dev, or a card critical to your game plan)
- the robot is low on cards or on credit and might not be able to leech your Develop effectively

Be wary of other phases as well! Choosing consume too much against a robot Old Earth can also be deadly, for example. A lot of people have complained that the robot's consume*2 phase is too strong, but what it really takes is more plays, and learning to manipulate the odds by not choosing phases the robot could efficiently copy

Enjoy your plays, this is really an excellent game !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Link
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What Dystopian said. Pretty much nails it.

But an interesting feature about the develop phase is that it is the best phase for forcing the robot to mill through its draw stack and spending credit on crap. You are quite happy, for example, when the robot has zero credit, has to pass up two 6-Devs, and then whiffs its whole draw stack. You are equally happy when the robot has 2 credits, fails to copy your develop action, then places Space Mercenaries, spending 1 credit to gain 0 points.

But, you are quite unhappy when the robot has 1 credit and no cards in the draw stack, copies your develop action, and top-decks a 6-Dev.

So the develop phase is a double edged sword. In general, though, if you can force the robot to zero credit and then call double dev for some cardflow (e.g. Bank + Bankers or Bank + Public Works) you can be in great shape. This works wonders against the usually-tough robot Epsilon Eridani.

Notice that I used Bankers in my above example. Doing this with TGS only is really tough; adding RvI helps immensely. See my session report to follow!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
air show
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, today I've won for the first time (difficult: easy) but I've played in a different way (less colonization, more production-selling-double.. at the end of the game, with 10 cards on my side, I had 29 victory points of blue tokens). This game, even in solo play, requires practice and skill! But the more I play the more I like it, it's a great game!

Thank you guys for your advices!

Regards

AS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.