Evo (second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: The big thing we reckon this does better than its predecessor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the 'old' Evo we always struggled to properly get a grip on what was going on with the environmental changes, it was really disempowering and as a result we didn't really enjoy it very much. Played this new version for the first time last night and we felt in control thanks to the super clear environment wheel, and as a result really really enjoyed ourselves, brilliant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had no problem with the old version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the old version, I printed an extra fur and parasol token. I put those on the climate board, indicating which region requires fur/parasol, and moving them as the climate changes. It works quite well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
With the old version, I printed an extra fur and parasol token. I put those on the climate board, indicating which region requires fur/parasol, and moving them as the climate changes. It works quite well.

That's brilliant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
inuitmyth909 wrote:
With the 'old' Evo we always struggled to properly get a grip on what was going on with the environmental changes, it was really disempowering and as a result we didn't really enjoy it very much. Played this new version for the first time last night and we felt in control thanks to the super clear environment wheel, and as a result really really enjoyed ourselves, brilliant!

Yep, I think the new wheel is MUCH more clear. Glad they went this route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Honestly, I find the new wheel more confusing and hard to read. That said, I can just ignore the outer rings with the confusing dots and look at the inner circle, where the "which colors are next to ideal?" rule of thumb still works. I haven't played new Evo with other people who know old Evo yet, but new Evo folk have been mixed when I explained both ways of looking at the dial to them: some like the old, some like the new.

I do think that the assortment of genes and cards is a bit better and that tails was a weird way to do initiative, so the reworking of all of that would be my "most improved."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happened to our dino tails?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

There are no "tail" genes: initiative is done during the auction based on what order the genes are drawn from the bag (so whoever wins the bid on the card goes first, whoever bids on the leftmost gene goes second and so on). There are one specialized gene and one card that override this, but by and large turn order is seamlessly baked into the auction rather than a separate step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:

There are no "tail" genes: initiative is done during the auction based on what order the genes are drawn from the bag (so whoever wins the bid on the card goes first, whoever bids on the leftmost gene goes second and so on). There are one specialized gene and one card that override this, but by and large turn order is seamlessly baked into the auction rather than a separate step.

If all players had the same dino population, this would be correct. After you move the tokens up, you resort by population, so two players of the same population remain in the same order, but players with smaller herds move before them, and players with larger herds move after.

-Munch "this makes Adrenaline rush very powerful" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.