Mats Lintonsson
Sweden
Borås
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing this game mainly solitaire.

There are now three expansions to this game (Space Marine Pack 1, Mission Pack 1 and The Death Angel Tyranid Enemy Pack) - how much value would these add to a solitaire experience?

Anyone tried any of those expansions in pure solitaire gaming? Your impressions?

Thanks in advance!

/Mats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried the third yet, but plan to get it soonish. The first two add a tremendous amount of replayability and work exceedingly well for solo play. They give you more locations and more marine teams to toy with.

The two additional teams are ever so slightly slightly stronger than the base game's teams (particularly a comparison between the Cyclone launcher and the Assault Cannon is not really fair), but the slightly tougher locations make up for that.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the first two expansions for enriching your solo play experience. I really hope that the same is true for the third, but I can't tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only play (and played) this in solitaire.
I got the SM pack and the Mission pack (the third is I am waiting for to be realeased by Maelstromgames, to save on postage).
I got the expansions because I wanted variety, and these packs provide a few different locations, missions and teams (stiil have to try the third, though).

They are not needed, per se, but if you outplayed the game again and again, and became fed up with the teams, locations, terrain and missions provided by the core set, these expansions will grant a revamp on the game.

There is no difference for playing solo or for playing multiplayer, as the expansions provide no rule changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i love the original team balance soo much... the new team member is good addition but the original is the bestt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mats Lintonsson
Sweden
Borås
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your VERY quick answers!

haslo wrote:
I haven't tried the third yet, but plan to get it soonish. The first two add a tremendous amount of replayability and work exceedingly well for solo play. They give you more locations and more marine teams to toy with.

This sounds really good.

Ikim wrote:
There is no difference for playing solo or for playing multiplayer, as the expansions provide no rule changes.

This was one of the things I was wondering. So no non-solo rules has been introduced. That is good.

Again, thank you all!

I will for sure pick up these expansions. Love this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mats Lintonsson
Sweden
Borås
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
i love the original team balance soo much... the new team member is good addition but the original is the bestt

I'll give the expansions a try, they are pretty cheap anyway, so the loss won't be that big.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
haslo wrote:
The two additional teams are ever so slightly slightly stronger than the base game's teams (particularly a comparison between the Cyclone launcher and the Assault Cannon is not really fair)

I think they're quite nicely balanced, actually.
Assault Cannon: guaranteed range 3. Kills up to 3 targets from multiple swarms. Can use support tokens to increase kill rate.
Cyclone Launcher: potential range 5, but risky over 2 (and really you want range 1). Kills exactly 3 targets from one swarm, ignoring facing. Cannot use support tokens to reroll misses.

haslo wrote:
but the slightly tougher locations make up for that.

I actually find the red locations to be easier than the original green ones, on average. More promethium tanks and spore chimneys that can be destroyed to reduce spawn rates (and possibly take some genestealers out, too), plenty of locations with missing colours (again, reducing spawn rates), and the Area 4s tend to require less shooting than Genestealer Lair or Toxin Pumping Station.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.