9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Game of Thrones 2nd ed - any pointers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Franklin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've picked up a copy of the new edition of Game of Thrones ready for some friends visiting after Christmas - a chance to get in a 6 player game (pretty rare in my part of the woods). However, they're a bit euro / mainstream in their tastes; friends who boardgame, rather than gamer friends. I don't think they'll mind playing something crunchy (the theme in GoT is so strong) and they'll love the chance to backstab one another, but is there anything I should keep in mind to make sure the session goes nice and smoothly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aki Järvi-Eskola
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
It's a pad of sticky notes!
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I can't help you specifically with this game, but can only give general pointers: Read the rules forwards and backwards, and take notes. Organize the components into tackle boxes (or similar) for ease of access. And especially true for FFG games, open up the game page at their website, hit F5 until an FAQ appears, read it forwards and backwards, and take notes.
But I'm sure you'll have better luck getting game-specific help in the game's own forums: A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)
Have fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of those games that could go on as long as you allow it. The "I think you will do this, but if you think I think you will do this, then you will instead do that" line of reasoning is prevalent. There can be a lot of talking, both strategic and taunting. The game encourages temporary alliances, so there will also be implicit and explicit deal-making.

Just be sure the game moves along at a reasonable speed. That said, if the game is being played too quietly and quickly, then it will be a completely different, and inferior, experience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also find it helpful to listen to the latest episode of Ryan Sturm's excellent The How to Play Podcast.

It sounds like you already know how to play, but Ryan also offers some tips on how to teach it and things to keep in mind while teaching it.

You can download the episode here, or search for How to play podcast in iTunes or your podcatcher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Franklin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for pointing out the game forum - didn't realize they existed! And I'm sure the FAQ will be invaluable. Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Franklin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks, looks like a good tip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As pointed out before, be mindful of the time. Endless negociations are fun at first, but after 3 hours you might regret not bringing a timer to the table and enforcing strict time rules at the beginning.

Also, I've never watched or read AGOT. I dislike the fantasy theme. Yet, AGOT is a game I quite like. So, don't worry about your euro friends - it's a mechanically interesting game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Franklin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Big thanks to everyone for your pointers. The game ran to 5 hours (and 2am) in the end, but everyone had a great time. Even better, everyone is keen to play again the next time we meet up. It could a good few months before then, of course, by which time some people will have forgotten the rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.