Popular Tags: [View All]
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last two years I reduced the number of games I bought to a relative minimal number (compared to the years before). Many of the games I got are games not even from the last 1-2 years. The reason for decreasing the number of games is space and time to play the new game (I still have many unplayed games I already own, and other that hardly hit the table that I enjoyed in the past) and the older games are games I wanted for a long time and finally had the chance to get them (or get them at trades which usually mean getting older games)
Looking at the forums here in the last couple of months I started feeling outdated. Many of the thread are of new games I only heard that came out, don't have a chance to play them and probably won't in the future since they are had to come by here.
What does this mean about the industry? You'd expect something like that to happen when dealing with high-tech but this is super low tech and still after 2 years I feel outdated.
Is this a bad thing? In terms of game I have, I'm sure it is not a bad thing. My collection has super interesting games that will fit everyone and keep me busy for years to come, but still there is this nagging feeling I'm getting old and outdated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry about it. I'd even go so far to say that some of the best new games are reprints or re-imaginings of older games. I'm relatively new to "serious board games" and some of my favorite games, while being less than five years old, barely get any forum traffic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.
badge
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
mbmbmbmbmb
Your not outdated, just taking a respite.

It makes sense that the forums are discussing mostly new games because the older games have already been discussed. Its similar to reviews of games in that as time goes by new reviews are not as frequent because they are not as needed. It's the nature of this social "market."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny thing is that I'm contributing to this issue, by trying to design new games and finding publishers for them = more new games, but at least I'll know the rules for the games I will find publishers to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You outdated, I don't own a game that younger then 8 years old (and most well over 20).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ycyclop wrote:
Funny thing is that I'm contributing to this issue, by trying to design new games and finding publishers for them = more new games, but at least I'll know the rules for the games I will find publishers to.

Don't worry about that. You make cool games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Servo wrote:

Don't worry about that. You make cool games!

Thank you very much.

Currently a company is looking at Island trader and I'm looking for a publisher for Rolling courts.

New game free PnP will hopefully be loaded to BGG in 3-4 months

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.W. McLain 3
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ycyclop wrote:
Last two years I reduced the number of games I bought to a relative minimal number (compared to the years before). Many of the games I got are games not even from the last 1-2 years. The reason for decreasing the number of games is space and time to play the new game (I still have many unplayed games I already own, and other that hardly hit the table that I enjoyed in the past) and the older games are games I wanted for a long time and finally had the chance to get them (or get them at trades which usually mean getting older games)
Looking at the forums here in the last couple of months I started feeling outdated. Many of the thread are of new games I only heard that came out, don't have a chance to play them and probably won't in the future since they are had to come by here.
What does this mean about the industry? You'd expect something like that to happen when dealing with high-tech but this is super low tech and still after 2 years I feel outdated.
Is this a bad thing? In terms of game I have, I'm sure it is not a bad thing. My collection has super interesting games that will fit everyone and keep me busy for years to come, but still there is this nagging feeling I'm getting old and outdated

I just wish I had your superhuman discipline!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ycyclop wrote:
My collection has super interesting games that will fit everyone and keep me busy for years to come, but still there is this nagging feeling I'm getting old and outdated

Better question would be to ask what popular games that have been released in the past 2 years will still be so in another 2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
ycyclop wrote:

I'm content with letting others play every new game. I'll try some that look interesting and get to ones everyone says are great eventually. My goal is to have a collection of great games (in my opinion) to play in different situations and with different groups of players.

You can subscribe to indiviual game pages to discuss the games you like and see what people are doing with them. I've done this with some and plan on adding more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the feeling. Looking at my collection, I left boardgaming sometime back in 2005. I've got games up to that year, but nothing newer. Recent years have been spent mostly with miniature wargames, and I haven't had time for both.

Now I'm getting back into boardgames and there are all these popular highly rated games I've never played. Agri-what now? So, I've got some catching up to do.

But on the other side, I've got a nice collection of "classics", and some of these newer guys have never seen those either. And they're back from when they sold you the WHOLE game in one box instead of spreading it out into four or five expansions too

Some of my "old" games are even the same thing as the "new" games. Small World? Hey, I've already got Vinci. Nothing much new there. And back in my day, Airlines Europe was called Union Pacific and we LIKED it!

I do plan to pick up some of the games I've missed, but I have the hindsight luxury to see what's stayed rated well and what was a flash in the pan that I don't need to waste money on.

So, I just bought the War of the Ring reprint, Fresco, and the new Ticket to Ride Asia map pack. I'm staying away from the heavier titles for now until I can see how things go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I try a lot of new games, some I even enjoy. But, most of my favorites are old titles.

I was musing recently that it's amazing how much discussion goes on about the 'new' soon to be 'has been' and how little talk about the 'tried and true' of yesteryear lately.

I think there's still pockets of it though, but as the site grows it seems that the 'new' is what people 'want' to talk about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and you really haven't missed anything in the last two years that won't be around in 2 OR redone in 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cool I wouldn't worry about it. My wife and I ended up selling off a huge chunk of our collection because we were always paniced to buy the new hottness, only to have the games SIT there. We kept our old favorites and "Classics" that we'll always love, and haven't been happier. Sure we pick up new stuff every now and again, but honestly it takes a lot for us to take the bait now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
cool I wouldn't worry about it. My wife and I ended up selling off a huge chunk of our collection because we were always paniced to buy the new hottness, only to have the games SIT there. We kept our old favorites and "Classics" that we'll always love, and haven't been happier. Sure we pick up new stuff every now and again, but honestly it takes a lot for us to take the bait now!

My similar solution this year was selling/trading game. I got rid through both methods out of ~13 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
I was musing recently that it's amazing how much discussion goes on about the 'new' soon to be 'has been' and how little talk about the 'tried and true' of yesteryear lately.

That is something I miss about the rec.games.board days. All of the game discussion (save for a few sub-groups) was in one place and you stumbled across all kinds of conversations. Discussions of the tried and true have their own forums here under the games, but you don't see them unless you are looking for them.

The sub-domain forums have some potential, but only the wargaming one seems to have much going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:

That is something I miss about the rec.games.board days. All of the game discussion (save for a few sub-groups) was in one place and you stumbled across all kinds of conversations. Discussions of the tried and true have their own forums here under the games, but you don't see them unless you are looking for them.

The sub-domain forums have some potential, but only the wargaming one seems to have much going on.

That's kind of the 'pockets' I was talking about. games and subdomains. I think Wargames is active while others aren't, is because it's always been it's little community within the greater community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
ycyclop wrote:
there is this nagging feeling I'm getting old and outdated

You can always look forward to being rereleased by FFG with a glitzy appearance and a few unfortunate rules revisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what you mean. I look all the reviews, recommendations, videos, etc and the vast majority doesn't mean anything to me: A few a acres of snow, Quarriors, Panic Station, etc. I either don't know them or don't care for them.

But in the end it doesn't matter. I'm not playing board games to ride the newest fashion wave. A new game will be old tomorrow but a great game will still be great 20 years from now. Sure I'm probably gonna miss a number of very nice games but I doubt I would enjoy them any more than what I have now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You shouldn't feel outdated. New games are fun to explore, but there are a plenty of hidden gem games that are always fun to play and revisit again.

Board games of that category are considered timeless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't play boardgames much for about 5 years (2006 through early 2011) myself. I don't feel outdated exactly, but the "cult of the new" makes it hard to get people to play the great games from the past few years. I'd love to play Agricola, Brass, Through the Ages, etc but everyone wants to play the new games almost exclusively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin B
Canada
Richmond Hill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it depends on whether you want to play games or talk about them.

If you want to play them, you have the games you need, so go and play!

If you want to talk about them, you better get some newer games, because that's what people are talking about and you'll need to know what they're talking about.

I prefer to play games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
Your not outdated, just taking a respite.

It makes sense that the forums are discussing mostly new games because the older games have already been discussed. Its similar to reviews of games in that as time goes by new reviews are not as frequent because they are not as needed. It's the nature of this social "market."

Go to any major site dedicated to movies, books, video games, etc., etc., etc. and you will find the same thing.

As something gets older, more and more people know more and more about it and so much has already been said about it.

With something new, not as many people know as much and less has been said so there is more appearing about it when it is new.

It is not unique to this site or 'market' but is pretty much the typical way these types of sites are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:

Go to any major site dedicated to movies, books, video games, etc., etc., etc. and you will find the same thing.

I don't think that books, movies are the same thing. Most people will see a movie or read a book once. In game you'd expect that good games will be played more then once. A lot more then once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
I'd love to play Agricola, Brass, Through the Ages, etc but everyone wants to play the new games almost exclusively.
I haven't even played these yet! So I consider them to still be pretty new.

Playing games from a couple years ago is nothing to worry about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.