Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have received Ares as my Secret Santa gift - THANKS A LOT SANTA!

Now, I had a first quick read through the rules (and the advanced rules, without the species particular rules) and somewhat disappointed. It seems to me that in core this is a two player game with a third an/or fourth player pasted on.

I can imagine that four player matches are interesting, yet it feels a bit like "split forces" in any other wargame (or combat game - "you take over the left flank, I'll take care of the right flank"). With three players it looks even worse. As soon as two players slugged it out, they must fall prey to the lucky third player?!

Again, this is just a first impression from ONLY reading the rules, I yet have to play the game, but I am currently most interested in multiplayer games and as such this is a very important aspect for me in new games.

What do you think about the 3 and 4 player rules in Ares?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 3-player once. It's good, and I'd do it again, but there are two things you need to know:

1) Winning strategies look different. In 2p, a long and grueling battle for the frontier where your opponent loses everything and you lose almost everything is good in 2p, but very dangerous in 3p. Holding the frontier makes you the punching bag of two players rather than the threat looming over one, but it's also very likely the way you'll win.

2) There is downtime. There is almost no experience of downtime in the 2p game because you're either waiting on a single card being played or you are fighting a battle. You could be waiting and watching through long battles that don't involve you in 3p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lee
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Andy, you Goonie!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me just say that The Ares Project as a Secret Santa gift is clearly the best Secret Santa gift I've ever heard of!

But regarding 3-player, I've played it once and it didn't play out as you suggest. Because the frontier is a king-of-the-hill thing, there's not really any teaming up, and also, just because two players were duking it out didn't mean that the 3rd player (me in this instance) was better poised to win, because the other two were accumulating attack card victory points in the meantime. I just simply was the poorer player and should have been building up better (it was also the first time playing as Xenos, so I was learning).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericaustinlee wrote:
But regarding 3-player, I've played it once and it didn't play out as you suggest. Because the frontier is a king-of-the-hill thing, there's not really any teaming up, and also, just because two players were duking it out didn't mean that the 3rd player (me in this instance) was better poised to win, because the other two were accumulating attack card victory points in the meantime.

I don't mean to suggest there is any teaming up. You just get hit from both sides and your opponents have little reason or opportunity to attack anyone but you. The attrition is brutal, especially if you spend turns banking attack cards instead of playing resources, but then again if you're scoring points (and thereby winning) you deserve it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Yates
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
badge
Tea and Board Games
mbmbmbmbmb
The mode I'm really looking forward to trying out is 2v2. I'm getting the game today so I'll be able to find out how this works!

I'm also tempted to buy a second copy of the game so we can try 3v3, 2v2v2, mirror match 1v1s and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2v2 rocks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Yates
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
badge
Tea and Board Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, just gonna add that 3 player is a lot of fun, and yeah the game plays very differently. Wiping out your opponent at the cost of most of your own forces is a bad idea! Often weakening them a little then retreating so your other opponent can butt heads against them is a better idea.

In a sense I feel like it removes some of the luck factor of 1v1, as it's easier to lick your wounds and rebuild when your opponent isn't breathing down your neck to wipe you out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.