Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for a good dice calculator with a number of options for calculating odds.

I was using one on my iPhone call Dice Odds that was perfect, but with the latest iOS update, it no longer works. I contacted the developer and offered to make a donation but never received a response.

Here are the functions that Dice Odds has that I am interested in:

1 Roll X d6 and calculate odds to get specific rolls, including wildcards. For example, roll 4d6 and chances to get at least one six.

2 Roll X d6, calculate odds to get certain total (equal, less than, higher than). For example, roll 2d6 an calculate odds to get greater than a 9 (or maybe equal to a 5). Dice Odds also let you remove dice.

3 Roll X d6 and calculate odds to get a hit, where a hit can be equal to, less than, or greater than a certain number.

It would be really cool if the app could do other dice (d4, d8, d12, etc).

I have seen anydice.com, but I am not sure it does all of these things.

Right now, I am trying to calculate the odds of rolling 4d6 and getting doubles, both specfic doubles and any doubles.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
dougbass68 wrote:
3 Roll X d6 and calculate odds to get a hit, where a hit can be equal to, less than, or greater than a certain number.

I'm pretty sure that for any real number A, the odds of you rolling less than, equal to, or greater than A on a die are 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mirkes
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Papa was a rollin' stone...
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Small Roller for Dungeons and Dragons. It seems to do pretty well, although I'm not sure it does everything you're looking for. Take a look and see if it's what you want.

http://www.fnordistan.com/smallroller.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
dougbass68 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that for any real number A, the odds of you rolling less than, equal to, or greater than A on a die are 1.

I was referring to three separate options the program has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tlmirkes wrote:
I use Small Roller for Dungeons and Dragons. It seems to do pretty well, although I'm not sure it does everything you're looking for. Take a look and see if it's what you want.

http://www.fnordistan.com/smallroller.html

Thanks, I will take a look at it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
dougbass68 wrote:
Right now, I am trying to calculate the odds of rolling 4d6 and getting doubles, both specfic doubles and any doubles.

Found this - hope it helps:

What is the probability of rolling a "pair" when tossing 4 dice?
"The pair can be any one of 6 numbers. The other two singletons can be among the other five. So there are 6*combin(5,2)=60 combinations already. There are combin(4,2)=6 combinations of dice on which the pair can appear. The two singletons can be arrange in two ways. So there are 60*12=720 ways to throw a pair. The total number of all ways to throw the dice is 64=1296. So the probability is 720/1296 =~ 55.56%."

http://wizardofodds.com/ask-the-wizard/probability/dice/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mestemaker
United States
Wheeling
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://anydice.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
oudknoei wrote:

dougbass68 wrote:
I have seen anydice.com, but I am not sure it does all of these things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, what the hell. I'm bored, so I went ahead and read up on anydice to figure out how to do the stuff you wanted.

dougbass68 wrote:
1 Roll X d6 and calculate odds to get specific rolls, including wildcards. For example, roll 4d6 and chances to get at least one six.

output [4d6 contains 6]

Quote:
2 Roll X d6, calculate odds to get certain total (equal, less than, higher than). For example, roll 2d6 an calculate odds to get greater than a 9 (or maybe equal to a 5). Dice Odds also let you remove dice.

output 2d6 > 9

Quote:

output 2d6 > 9
output 2d6 = 9
output 2d6 < 9

Actually, I don't see how your second and third questions differ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Eh, what the hell. I'm bored, so I went ahead and read up on anydice to figure out how to do the stuff you wanted.

dougbass68 wrote:

output [4d6 contains 6]

Quote:

output 2d6 > 9

Quote:

output 2d6 > 9
output 2d6 = 9
output 2d6 < 9

Actually, I don't see how your second and third questions differ...

The third option is more about hits. For example, if a "hit" is a 5 or 6 on a single die, what are the odds of getting 2 hits on 4 dice. Or 3 hits on 6 dice. Etc.

Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oudknoei wrote:

I tried a simple expression to calculate the odds of rolling 4 dice and getting a 6:

output [4d6 contains 6]

What I want are the odds of getting two sixes and anything else. Something like this:

output [4d6 contains {6,6}]

(or)

output [4d6 contains {6,6,?,?}]

Can't seem to figure out the syntax for that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, that's a bit trickier. Have to write a function for it. Here's what I came up with:

function: M at least N {
result: M >= N
}

HITDIE: [d6 at least 4]

output 2dHITDIE

EDIT: Wrote this before your last message... This is for the 3rd thing, the number of dice at least a particular number.

Of course, you can make this work with your last message as well. Just do "[d6 at least 6]"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougbass68 wrote:
oudknoei wrote:

I tried a simple expression to calculate the odds of rolling 4 dice and getting a 6:

output [4d6 contains 6]

What I want are the odds of getting two sixes and anything else. Something like this:

output [4d6 contains {6,6}]

(or)

output [4d6 contains {6,6,?,?}]

Can't seem to figure out the syntax for that...

Maybe I got it... I think it might be 13.19% if someone can confirm...

I did: output [count {6} in 4d6]

and then added the chances of gettings two 6's + three 6's + four 6's.

What about any doubles, i.e. two 1's OR two 2's OR two 3's, etc.

Can I just multiply 13.19% by 6?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Ah, that's a bit trickier. Have to write a function for it. Here's what I came up with:

function: M at least N {
result: M >= N
}

HITDIE: [d6 at least 4]

output 2dHITDIE

EDIT: Wrote this before your last message... This is for the 3rd thing, the number of dice at least a particular number.

Of course, you can make this work with your last message as well. Just do "[d6 at least 6]"...

Excellent - thanks! I just need to learn the syntax. Starting to get the hang of it... I think. Your example helps me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.