Recommend
78 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: My thank you to a very generous act... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Since he steadfastly refused money/games in exchange can I at least acknowledge on the wargames subdomain the generosity of fellow Brit and regular poster...

ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


He contacted me a few days ago offering me the spare copy of a game he knew I was hunting for. The game is not a cheap one but he insisted I take it as a gift. If that wasn't enough he quietly mentioned as he handed it over that he had put in the counters from the operations magazine for The Devil's Cauldron: The Battles for Arnhem and Nijmegen, which correct some of those that were provided with the game. He had read my session report and knew I was probably missing them.

It had been my intention to give him a game on his wishlist but he doesn't have one! But can I just say, that for me, Ian - as well as being a thoroughly nice guy, (as anyone who has read his posts will know) is also my geek wargamer of the year. Since Ian is a very modest guy I know this might embarrass him, but it needs to be said

92 
 Thumb up
2.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I say well done, sir. Very generous and superb act for the season. A tip of the touque and some GG sent to Ian to celebrate the holidays, and his generosity to Jim.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar experience (only that it was cross-continents) and tried to do a geeklist celebrating it here.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/75012/thanksgiving-a-g...
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
I say well done, sir. Very generous and superb act for the season. A tip of the touque and some GG sent to Ian to celebrate the holidays, and his generosity to Jim.


I was literally speechless when he made the offer. I'm just waiting for something to appear in his wishlist and then I'm going to pounce...ninja
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:
Since he steadfastly refused money/games in exchange can I at least acknowledge on the wargames subdomain the generosity of fellow Brit and regular poster...

ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


He contacted me a few days ago offering me the spare copy of a game he knew I was hunting for. The game is not a cheap one but he insisted I take it as a gift. If that wasn't enough he quietly mentioned as he handed it over that he had put in the counters from the operations magazine for The Devil's Cauldron: The Battles for Arnhem and Nijmegen, which correct some of those that were provided with the game. He had read my session report and knew I was probably missing them.

It had been my intention to give him a game on his wishlist but he doesn't have one! But can I just say, that for me, Ian - as well as being a thoroughly nice guy, (as anyone who has read his posts will know) is also my geek wargamer of the year. Since Ian is a very modest guy I know this might embarrass him, but it needs to be said



thumbsup
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TonyClifton wrote:


The resemblance of this picture to our meeting in the Ian Allan bookshop in Birmingham is startling, except my eyebrows are a little bushier and I don't wear my medals in public.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geekgold sent - he upholds the finest traditions of the wargaming subforum
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Three cheers for Ian!
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
For now.
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Great story, great guy.

What was the game?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Roads to Gettysburg and in very good condition. I have recently had an offer accepted for a new house and was actually more excited about this (maybe because it doesn't need a bathroom fitted).

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Three cheers for Ian!



HUP HUP HUZZA!! HUP HUP HUZZA!! HUP HUP HUZZA!!


8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:
I'm just waiting for something to appear in his wishlist and then I'm going to pounce...ninja



Careful what you wish for !



blush



Thanks Jim for those kind words, and thanks to everyone who has sent me GeekGold, an unexpected treat. Far better that the game goes to a gamer who will play it and hopefully treasure it, than have it quietly moldering away in my cellar for years on end. The only price you pay, Jim : a session report when you're ready.




  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hughes
Australia
Surfers Paradise
QLD
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done, Ian
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer72 wrote:
Ashiefan wrote:
I'm just waiting for something to appear in his wishlist and then I'm going to pounce...ninja



Careful what you wish for !



blush



Thanks Jim for those kind words, and thanks to everyone who has sent me GeekGold, an unexpected treat. Far better that the game goes to a gamer who will play it and hopefully treasure it, than have it quietly moldering away in my cellar for years on end. The only price you pay, Jim : a session report when you're ready.






Offer is of a limited period and subject to change without notification. This affects none of your statutory rights as a great bloke.

I have already opened it up and taken in the beautiful map. Just need to get the rules read and find a willing victim/opponent
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that you mention this, I did miss out on picking up a copy of Devil's Cauldron...

whistle
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
Three cheers for Ian!



HUP HUP HUZZA!! HUP HUP HUZZA!! HUP HUP HUZZA!!




Must be the Coriolis effect - in the Northern Hemisphere it sounds like:

HIP HIP HOORAH!! HIP HIP HOORAH!! HIP HIP HOORAH!! laughlaughlaugh

Top notch stuff, Ian.thumbsup
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hidden Among the Leaves
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
A gentleman's act.

M.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Fisher
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Very kind!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.