Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roy Tan
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

anyone encountered a game whereby the fire markers ran out? What happens if you need to put a fire and there isnt any left?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 33 fire markers, the house is 48 squares. If you count the outer ring outside the house the board is 80 squares total.

HOWEVER, It seems to me that, by the time you've placed 33 fire makers mostly inside a 48 square building, EITHER you will have lost all the victims OR the house will have taken enough damage to collapse.

So, while it's THEORETICALLY possible, it seems incredibly unlikely that you could get all 33 fire markers on the board without having lost anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there's another thread on the subject where Travis said that the number of fire markers is limited to those supplied and it's generally inconsequential because if you've reached that point, the ship is going down.

Edit: The link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/713997/threat-tokens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
someone should design a microbadge for placing all the fire markers and still winning. Its likely very hard to pull off, but at least one person has commented that they've done it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This situation came up for both our first games. It really mattered because it was near the end of the game and made all the difference.

So Travis, is the "official" ruling that one should not add additional smoke/fire counters once they run out, but resolve damage from explosions normally?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beasi
United States
Easthampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
someone should design a microbadge for placing all the fire markers and still winning. Its likely very hard to pull off, but at least one person has commented that they've done it.

My group managed to pull this off once.

Once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
mbmbmbmbmb
This happened in my most recent game. We decided to move the nearest smoke token to the space that needed the new smoke or fire token.

We almost won, but the building collapsed while I was standing at the door with the final victim. If only I had two more AP...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wells
United States
Shelton
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We ended up pulling this off twice tonight. Once with the family rules and once with the experienced rules. We were down to our last damage marker and had rescued 8 and 9 victims respectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I ran out of fire markers at the very end of our game tonight. We had a couple of fires blow through some exterior walls and then because of later flash-overs, we had 4 fires outside and 29 inside.

We were playing the front of the map on experienced recruit level. At the end, in the "piano room" had both the final POI (sitting in front of the door and the ambulance) as well as the majority of the 17 remaining open (non-smoke/flame) spaces. Both of us were in the room as well. Unluckily for us, the last advance fire in the turn before we could grab the POI landed directly on the POI who was naturally right next to a fire.

Blammo!

Charred kitty... soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Great Dalmuti
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my last two games ended because i run out of fire markers... it was close, one person to rescue and i would win.
is there an official rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Board Games are Old School, I Be Old School
mbmbmbmbmb
Ran out of markers. However we saved our 7th person before needing to play any additional ones. Would love to know if the designers have a rule for this scenario.

Cheers,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
My son and I ran out of fire markers at the very end of our game tonight. We had a couple of fires blow through some exterior walls and then because of later flash-overs, we had 4 fires outside and 29 inside.

The ones outside get removed, so you didn't run out.

Near the top of page 6: "Remove any Fire markers that were placed outside of the building."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my first four games tonight and the last game we also ran out of fire markers. A lucky blast from the fire truck gave us back four but we simply made due by putting a temp marker where the last flare up/smoke was supposed to have been. [That said, we were playing the explosion rule wrong by both knocking down a closed door and also placing a fire marker into the square behind it.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really have no idea why these were limited. Running out has saved me a couple times where extra ones would've resulted in a loss.

EDIT: I've found myself running out in the Family/Rookie/Veteran levels, but I haven't come close yet on Heroic. The building usually collapses before hand due to the increased potential for explosions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisbender wrote:
This happened in my most recent game. We decided to move the nearest smoke token to the space that needed the new smoke or fire token.

We almost won, but the building collapsed while I was standing at the door with the final victim. If only I had two more AP...

Same exact situation today, but the firefighter was one space from ambulance outside building, playing Veteran Level on the back (harder) side

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Hastedt
United States
California
flag msg tools
This happened to me as well, so we stopped the game an scoured the rulebook to find the answer.

If you run out of smoke/fire markers, you do not place anymore.
You do still roll to see where they would have been placed.
If it would have caused an explosion, resolve the explosion to add more wall destruction.

We did place some smoke/fire markers, when they became available through POI placement. Poor little crispy kitty.cry

Sadly, we lost, with our winning POI at the door looking at an ambulance as the walls caved in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:

Does this happen often enough to warrant a microbadge? I'm happy to give it a shot if so

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Schrempp
United States
Atascadero
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No way to "monitor" it.

I am not sure if we have run out, but I know it has some really close at the end of a couple really nasty games. Save the seventh victim with only one or two markers left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I've never run out.

We have saved all 10 victims though (ie: just keep playing until all saved)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have run out of firemarkers once on the beach house and still won it. Started leaving smoke in the hex to avoid having to place more firemarkers in new hexes. This saved POI's on 2 occasions.
I also ran out in my recent playing of Garage+basement and still won.
With the larger boards due to basement/attic this would probably happen more often. Will more firemarkers be released.

Gammey situations can arrise when you have 1 or 2 firemarkers left and have an explosion occur. Choosing which direction to place the marker can potentially save POI's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.