Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played UF several times but I get the feeling I'm still handling the weapon malfunction wrong.

I used to think:

1) You draw a red 6 and stop the fire mission immediately. Consult the RPC line on that card to find the malfunctioned weapon. That's it.

After awhile I learnt that was wrong so then I played it:

2) You don't stop the fire mission you just reduce the fire strength by -1 and keep going.

After awhile I learnt I was still doing it wrong so then I played it:

3) You do all that but you must draw a seperate card only for the RPC immediately after you draw the red 6.

I played it that way for awhile but later learnt I still had it wrong. So now I play it:

4) You do all of that but the weapon that malfunctions determines how much you reduce the fire strength by. It's still -1 unless the weapon that malfunctions is contributing at least half of the firepower then you reduce it by half of what that weapon is contributing. So a weapon that malf. with 4 firepower reduces the fire strength by -2. And if it's a weapon that isn't contributing at all you still reduce the fire strength by -1 but that weapon doesn't actually malfunction.

I'm pretty sure I still have it wrong though. Can someone clarify please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
Weapon Malfunctions [Section 19]
* If a fire check reveals a red 6 [or 5 if using a bracketed
firepower on a crew weapon], then a weapon malfunctions.
* Draw an RPC to determine whose weapon malfunction.
This malfunctions unless the person is a crewman, or was
ordered not to fire. (Yes, their weapon malfunctions even if
they had zero firepower or were pinned. Many soldiers fired
uselessly in war).
* A man can only be ordered not to fire if he was infiltrating,
had ordnance or a flamethrower.
* Grab the appropriate malfunctioning weapon chit and place
it on the soldier.
* For every 1-2 points of firepower lost, the fire strength is
reduced by one (for the remaining targets).
* In the case of a weapon with 0 firepower, the fire strength
is still reduced.
* However, if the soldier was pinned, no fire strength is lost.
* The soldier suffers a morale and panic penalty while the
weapon is broken.
* The group can take it's action to attempt to fix the weapon,
draw a RNC and compare it to what is required on the
weapon chit. (This could fix the weapon, destroy it, or result
in no change).

This is taken from TnT!'s excellent Up Front Summary
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/68069/a-4-page-summary...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malfunctions are pretty complicated topic:

Fire attacks:
If during a fire attack, a red 6 (or 5, if you have a weapon that breaks on that number) causes a malfunction.

- First determine if you even need a RPC check: If a firing flamethrower or enemy weapon that has been captured MUST malfunction OR if there is only one choice. (This happens mostly with red 5 draw and uncrewed MG or Japanese/Italian MG, because only cards marked with X5-6 would be affected. Note: previously malfunctioned weapons are always X6--so a malfed Japanese MG would not break on a red 5.)

- If group consist of one armed man (i.e. crewed MG has 2 armed men, the MG man and the crewman--even though the crewman is not using his weapon.): the malf occurs on that man's weapon and the rest of the fire attack is canceled.

- If needed, draw an RPC to pick which man is affected. (Include all men (except transferees) in the draw.

- Based on which man is selected, apply the following results
* Unarmed man, non-firing FT or infiltrator: N/E
* Crewman: No malf, but continue attack with -1 FS.
* Man with malfed weapons: Eliminate weapon, no effect on FS.
* Man with weapon (even if pinned): malf weapon and reduce FS of attack by FP of the malfed weapon/2 (round up)

Ordnance Attacks:
If the group was only firing ordnance, check for malfunction ONLY on the To Hit draw. If it comes up, the weapon malfs and the attack is canceled. If a red 5 or 6 is drawn during the draw for each man after a successful To Hit draw, no malfunction will occur.

Also demo charges, the malfunction can only occur on the first card drawn to resolve its attack. Afterward, any red 6's are ignored. A bit like ordnance.

Whew!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="rri1"]
q]

FT?, N/E?

I'm guessing this means if his gun didn't contribute to the firepower then nothing happens.

Thanks for the responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiploGuy wrote:
rri1 wrote:

FT?, N/E?

FT = Flamethrower
N/E = No Effect

Yes, according the errata, these non-firing men men are included the count for the RPC draw, but if their number comes up, nothing happens.
Quote:

I'm guessing this means if his gun didn't contribute to the firepower then nothing happens.

No. A man at RR0 with a rifle (even though that rifle has 0FP at that range) HAS a weapon, which will malfunction if his RPC number comes up. However, there is no change the fire strength for the remainder of the attack since 1/2 * 0 = 0.

Pinned men are treated similarly.

Only non-firing FT (which list its FP as "N/A", not 0FP) and non-firing infiltrators are immune from breakage. And, of course, unarmed men have no weapon to break.

Quote:
Thanks for the responses.

No problem. As I said above malfunction is confusing,

Also remember, all men with malfed weapons (or are unarmed) are -1 to both Morale and Panic values until they fix/acquire a working weapon.

Fixing weapons in Up Front is much easier: Use an action for the group to fix one weapon. Draw an RNC and check the waepon chit--If repair comes up, the weapon is fixed (remove/flip weapon chit). If Remove comes up, remove the weapon chit and placed an unarmed chit. Otherwise, N/E.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.