Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another error among the many discovered so far:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8091643#8091643

So, my question to Mayfair representatives reading these posts is:

Are you planning to offer any real solutions (ex. correctly printed tiles) to fix all those errors reported here, besides a pdf file (which also has an error!) and which we must print and stick on top of many tiles and board and manually fix the company chapters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
This just never gets old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything of value to add besides this "funny" pic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If you're really concerned: buy one of the readily available Avalon Hill editions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
GeoMan wrote:

Well, I should also let Mayfair know that while I had every intention of picking up their 1830 reprint, I now find myself driven to just make a Photocurio edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Bremen
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
does lookout version have same mistakes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
superjosef wrote:
does lookout version have same mistakes?

They are identical except for rules language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Bremen
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
superjosef wrote:
crap.

Shrug. It isn't that important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Prescott
England
Wigan
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1st edition :- if there was a misprint over values, who's to know?

2nd edition :- if there is a misprint over values 100s of 18xx afficianados spot the errors.

I feel sorry for Mayfair who despite what some of the old fogeys say have made a good fist of it, especially in trying to gather together unofficial expansions and variant games and what is more getting the co-operation of Francis Tresham who in the past has told me he was extremely annoyed [as shown by sub text of 1853 - "A game for engineers who've had enough of the financiers!"] as regards the "bastardisation" of his original rules which were not as "nasty" as Avalon Hill's rules editor, Bruce Shelley.

I am sure that the 2nd edition game is playable in its own right by those that have never played the 1st edition and don't realise there are errors in this edition. You could argue that this will make a different game but then so are all the other 18xx games.

Despite having the original game I was always loath to introduce 1830 to newcomers as they invariably got stiffed into bancruptcy by other players. I am told that USA players like this way of play. I can tell you that many this side of the pond are with the game designer, Francis Tresham.

I feel sure that when Mayfair find all the errors they will announce the full fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
jakeprescott wrote:
1st edition :- if there was a misprint over values, who's to know?

2nd edition :- if there is a misprint over values 100s of 18xx afficianados spot the errors.

I feel sorry for Mayfair who despite what some of the old fogeys say have made a good fist of it, especially in trying to gather together unofficial expansions and variant games and what is more getting the co-operation of Francis Tresham who in the past has told me he was extremely annoyed [as shown by sub text of 1853 - "A game for engineers who've had enough of the financiers!"] as regards the "bastardisation" of his original rules which were not as "nasty" as Avalon Hill's rules editor, Bruce Shelley.

I am sure that the 2nd edition game is playable in its own right by those that have never played the 1st edition and don't realise there are errors in this edition. You could argue that this will make a different game but then so are all the other 18xx games.

Despite having the original game I was always loath to introduce 1830 to newcomers as they invariably got stiffed into bancruptcy by other players. I am told that USA players like this way of play. I can tell you that many this side of the pond are with the game designer, Francis Tresham.

I feel sure that when Mayfair find all the errors they will announce the full fix.

Good points! The 18XX niche crowd, like many similar groups (beware anyone proposing to revive Magic Realm), are rather fussy about "their baby." On the other hand, since the stated intention was to reproduce the original game, the number of editorial gaffes is becoming rather larger than a thoroughly professional outfit should be satisfied with. I hope you are right about Mayfair's intentions but only time will tell...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:

This whole business seems to be really impacting you. As a fellow gamer, I strongly suggest buying the game, fixing the very simple errata yourself, and enjoying it. That's got to be more fun than posting in these threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TwentySides wrote:
GeoMan wrote:

This whole business seems to be really impacting you. As a fellow gamer, I strongly suggest buying the game, fixing the very simple errata yourself, and enjoying it. That's got to be more fun than posting in these threads.

Why suggest that, and not suggest to Mayfair to fix the errors? I think that we all spent our money to buy a game without errors, or am i mistaken?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
What is frustrating to me is the continual discovery of errors. More so than that, it is every where - the board, the tiles, the charters. It seems it has gone beyond just a minor inconvenience and is becoming a major annoyance.

I've already printed off the pdf, and now appears I still have to do more to fix this game.

I really think Mayfair should address this with more than PDFs. Perhaps it is not game-impacting enough to matter for some but it matters to me. And I would be willing to pay a little to offset some costs associated with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In an established older game with an established fan base and set values and IDs for these items, one of Mayfair's primary responsibilities is to get the clerical stuff right. And the fans have been waiting for freaking years, the could have waited another month for copyediting.

A couple tiles I could forgive -- grudgingly -- but this seems way more than that and its not as though they had a fickle game designer changing his mind up to the last minute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Adultman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's frustrating to me about all this is how easily this could have been prevented with some simple copy editing. These are elementary mistakes. Embarrassing for Mayfair, frustrating for those of us who bought it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
This just never gets old.

This never stops being amusing for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
β€œIt's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
The errors are minor. Nothing that prevents you from having a great time with a great game.

And look on the bright side: Now they have a good reason to bring out an expansion set where not only you get the corrected tiles, but more variants and scenarios too meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richert
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've introduced 8 players in my local group to this game. No one has had an issue regarding the misprint. There's been several jokes made by the local players that have a BGG presence concerning the issues. Since I received this game 2 weeks ago, we've played about 5 games of it and a great time has been had by all.

Well, except for the 2 players that bought two different President Certificates the first stock round of one game... They made sure they didn't make the same mistake their next game (one of who came in second).

And there were the people that nearly went bankrupt that next game...

Then there was the one who had the NYC stolen away from him by an unscrupled profiteer...

Anyhow, rather than post in this thread, I'm going to see if I can't get another game together!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasonbartfast wrote:
What's frustrating to me about all this is how easily this could have been prevented with some simple copy editing. These are elementary mistakes. Embarrassing for Mayfair, frustrating for those of us who bought it.

It's not like this is the first time this has happened though. Valley Games f'd up a TON of stuff in the Republic of Rome reprint that was simple clerical errors. Those errors impacted the game far more than Mayfair's errors with 1830, largely due to the use of a card deck in the former's case.

The same debate happens each time. Some players feel it is the end of the world, others feel that it is completely acceptable. It is interesting to see who falls on which side of the fence, especially when connections to the publisher color their personal view.

It is too bad that Mayfair botched this one - it will be interesting to see how they handle it. I mean, it's not like consumers were buying their products at a deep discount from online retailers. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Adultman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
^ I see your points, but between this and the 1853 rules, isn't it time somebody told Mayfair about spellcheck? This guys are supposed to be a major player and they're handing in C-grade work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario De Super
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasonbartfast wrote:
...spellcheck? This guys...

It doesnn't seem to be working very well for you. Sorry, but I felt compelled to note that while pointing out Mayfair's mistake you were making the same one. I just thought this was kind of funny. BTW, I could be guilty of the very same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Adultman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mariogolbee wrote:
Jasonbartfast wrote:
...spellcheck? This guys...

It doesnn't seem to be working very well for you. Sorry, but I felt compelled to note that while pointing out Mayfair's mistake you were making the same one. I just thought this was kind of funny. BTW, I could be guilty of the very same thing.

True, although that was a grammar, not a spelling error yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.