Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it was added late, but I'm surprised at the lack of enthusiasm for FA compared to MoV and other reprints in the nominations for the 20 most anticipated of 2012.

At this pace it won't even make the top 50 for final voting.

Geeklist here if you're curious:
[POLLS] RESULTS POSTED -- NOMINATIONS ARE CLOSED -- 20 Most Anticipated Games of 2012

FA is on page 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, I've got the original sitting in my basement and don't have the urge to ever take it out again. Same goes for Shogun/Ikusa.

If someone wants to re-make Up Front, that's a different story. That I can get excited for. But not Fortress America.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the original, too. Plus, I don't do polls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmac wrote:
I don't know, I've got the original sitting in my basement and don't have the urge to ever take it out again. Same goes for Shogun/Ikusa.

If someone wants to re-make Up Front, that's a different story. That I can get excited for. But not Fortress America.

Agreed. Furthermore, if I'm in the mood for a game with that setting, I'm going to play SPI's Invasion: America, rather than the knock-off from MB.

But there's just too many games that are so much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I've got the original, too. Plus, I don't do polls.

Poll: Do you do polls?
Do you do polls?
Yes
No
      180 answers
Poll created by cferejohn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played and owned the original back in the day and found that the US lost pretty much every game. None of us were that impressed so my copy was sold for an obscene amount of money. As for a reprint...it wasn't that great of a game to begin with so getting an updated copy isn't high on my list. I do have a copy of either Shogun or Samurai Swords; that game was much better and balanced since the territory placement initially was random. I also have Conquest of the Empire,the original (2 copies) and the 2nd Ed.both of which haven't seen table time in years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Where was the outcry for a reprint to begin with? Or are companies just looking at eBay prices to determine which "moldy oldie" gets reprinted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'm looking forward to it. It was played a decent amount in my high school days, and I could never justify buying a beat up second-hand copy for too much money. Messed up city placement or not, I'll be adding this to my collection when I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both the original Fortress America and Nexus Ops, both games being reprinted by FFG. I understand that they (FFG) may see a need for these games in the market, but I really would like to see support for their current games than reprinting games that I don't see a whole lot of demand for on BGG or elsewhere.

It could be a gambit to become as big as Wizards of the Coast or the next Avalon Hill (without going out of business we hope).

Maybe Big Corporate Game Company has a better grasp of what is in demand than a lowly consumer, and I'll give any corporation that, but I always look at questions about Battlelore being reprinted, more TI3 content, Gears of War content, Tide of Iron, and support for games that basically got a following and turned into a 'limited run'.

There are plenty of classic games that could be re-released, but should they? Up Front would definitely see a surge of people purchasing a reprint, but it would not be sustainable? Same with Magic Realm. Those games, while classic and worthy of reprints are just not what the general market is looking for at this time due to their complexity. Would a smaller company benefit from making one of those remakes than a big company, I think it would because it would be a smaller print run for one thing. Does a big company benefit from making a lukewarm game into a remake, I'm not so sure.

I would love a copy of Up Front or Magic Realm. I think my boys and I would love either one, but I would be just as happy getting expansions to more modern games and ones that are hitting the table here at home than repurchasing or hunting down 'grails'.

In conclusion to my soapbox (sorry), I have a limited game budget and limited time. I'm not a collector and have to be really choosy about what to purchase. We tend to gravitate to games that offer more expansions and company support that one shot games. That is why I'm not excited about reprinting FA or Nexus Ops.

Thanks for your patience!

Maus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
You bring up some good points, Todd.

A smaller company would probably do better by reprinting limited demand games, if only to establish themselves on the market. Much like Valley Games and Stronghold Games, who are making their footprints by bringing back older titles which had been out of print for many years.

Perhaps the big boys are seeing these efforts, and are trying to muscle in on the vintage game segment. But I don't think they'll stay in long for the reasons you mentioned. Modern tastes have shifted to newer design mechanics, and many people are already in possession of many of these games (which may be a factor in FFG's incessant rules tinkering with games they resurrect).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmac wrote:
Same goes for Shogun/Ikusa.

How much you want for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mst3k4L wrote:
seanmac wrote:
Same goes for Shogun/Ikusa.

How much you want for it?

I'd have to give it a look over. I thought it was in fine shape, but the last time I dragged it out of the basement...I wasn't so sure. Let me see what the deal is and I'll PM you with an offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maus wrote:
I have both the original Fortress America and Nexus Ops, both games being reprinted by FFG. I understand that they (FFG) may see a need for these games in the market, but I really would like to see support for their current games than reprinting games that I don't see a whole lot of demand for on BGG or elsewhere.

I found it hard to get interested in the Nexus Ops reprint... especially as I have the old version.

I also have the old FA, but I find a FFG reprint/remake of FA more intriguing than Nexus Ops. I would love to see them take the approach that Eagle took with Conquest of the Empire or Mayfair took with 1830... include the original game, but also include a very cool new take on the game.

Maus wrote:
It could be a gambit to become as big as Wizards of the Coast or the next Avalon Hill (without going out of business we hope).

Personally, I think GMT is on track to best channel the Avalon Hill spirit of old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT has a stable of fine games that I wish I had the money to purchase. You're right about the AH vs GMT comparison.

I know there is some demand for these older games, but I am surprised that FA is worthy of a remake when there are more people that would buy into Battlelore (and expansions), for instance, than a one-shot like FA. All the excuses about models and cost issues aside, there is a huge following for BL and people would suck it up. I suspect that once FA is released, that will be the end of it. No expansions, no support, and possibly a second printing, but probably not.

I'm not trying to piss in anyone's cereal, but I feel that there are some really good modern games that need the love more than the old AH classics.

Maus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Marquez
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I think the problem is also that FA was a product of the 1980's Cold War attitude, and had that epic Red Dawn feel that cannot be recaptured. It was a product of the zeit-geist.

If anything, they should make an original dudes on a map game that could reflect the current state of affairs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maus wrote:
I know there is some demand for these older games, but I am surprised that FA is worthy of a remake when there are more people that would buy into Battlelore (and expansions), for instance, than a one-shot like FA.

I was really surprised by the FA announcement as well. Given that FFG went out of their way to acquire the Blood Royale license several years ago, and their cooperation with GW, I really expected to see a reprint of Blood Royale, Warhammer Quest, or HeroQuest before FA.

After I added FA to the 20 Most Anticipated of 2012, I was really surprised to see the lackluster performance it had compared to Nexus Ops.

I am sad to see the lack of attention they're giving Battlelore though. It's a fantastic system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

I didn't enjoy it when it first came out so I'm guessing I'm not going to enjoy it now. Of those MB ameritrash games I thought this was the worst, by some distance. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Fortress America. I would like to find the original version, not because I think it may be an awesome game but because I'm just old enough to remember the 80s and I like Ameritrash stuff. I have enough dudes on a map games that the reprint just isn't doing it for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original so don't see the need for getting the reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original and absolutely love playing it. I'm somewhat interested in the newer one, but FFG's tendency to meddle with the gameplay of all their reprints and, in particular, what I've heard of their intended changes for the new Fortress America have got me cautious. It would be an awfully expensive purchase when all I'd probably use out of it would be the cool new figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
M0DEM wrote:
I think the problem is also that FA was a product of the 1980's Cold War attitude, and had that epic Red Dawn feel that cannot be recaptured. It was a product of the zeit-geist.

If anything, they should make an original dudes on a map game that could reflect the current state of affairs.

Would that mean having a charicature of Hugo Chavez on the cover?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maus wrote:
... but I really would like to see support for their current games than reprinting games that I don't see a whole lot of demand for on BGG or elsewhere...

I think FFG does an excellent job supporting their line and keeping this stuff in print in addition to bringing out lots of interesing new games.

Very happy to see FA back in print!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original and it is great fun to play once in awhile. It is very dated politically and even then the invasion scenario was pretty far fetched. Imagine the Navy it would take to land enough troops on US shores to accomplish any sort of military goals. And this sort of naval force would be required even if the troops, tanks, etc were dropped off in Mexico or Canada as well. Hell, China just launched its first aircraft carrier.

Not sure why this needs a reprint aside from the fact that FFG seems to be falling into the Hollywood Reboot mode lately. And there is talk of a new Red Dawn movie sooo.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the problem may be that say 75% of the people that wanted the game by now... have it. And of those at least half aren't overly enthused to shell out 80$ for a new version that has been altered in various ways. Super Glitzing a game doesn't allways gloss over alterations that have that notable tendency to put potential buyers off.And you can bet that some of the people who still don't have the game and want it yet will pass on the FFG version because its not a 1-for-1 reprint with updated looks.

FFGs rather bemusing attempts to spin-doctor a goof up early on likely didn't endear some to the new release either.

I think its good that the games seeing a reprint no matter the other issues. Id have been more enthused without the gameplay changes. But its really too early to tell yet how its all going to come together.

I think once more is known of the new version that members and fans will have a better grasp on wether or not to get excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.