Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well more of a goal really. Over on the RPG side we have some goals and we're looking for some help. (Of course, by we, I mean me. I'm no one of consequence, just someone who thinks you might be able to help us out)

One of those goals is to get something to have 1000 ratings. We're not really very close, but there's a good chance that many people who aren't currently playing RPGs could rate one of our top items and help us out.

We're not asking you to just make up a rating, but if you played D&D years ago, you probably still remember it will enough to pick a number from 1-10.

Here are a few of the items that are closest. If you feel qualified, how about making a brief pit stop to give the RPG side of the house a Christmas gift?

These are some of the top books:
Call of Cthulhu main book
D&D 1st Edition DMG
D&D 1st Edition Player's Handbook
Warhammer 1st Edition (1986)
Warhammer 2nd Edition (2005)
D&D Basic Set (the Red Box)
These are the most rated RPG items so far so if you don't see one you know right now, you can check out this list: Most Rated Books

You could also just rate a whole game if you don't remember specific books:
Call of Cthulhu (2nd - 6th Edition)
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1st Edition)
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (2nd Edition)
Vampire: The Masquerade
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (1st Edition)
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (2nd Edition)
You could also just jump to the list of the most rated games and pick out the ones you know: Most Rated RPGs

Remember, we're not asking you to shill, but if you're familiar enough to rate them 1-10, please help us out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I multi-class in promoting and shilling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chanfan wrote:
Can I multi-class in promoting and shilling?

You could, but you'd be ignoring my specific suggestion that you not rate games you aren't familiar with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
sdonohue wrote:
Remember, we're not asking you to shill, but if you're familiar enough to rate them 1-10, please help us out!

"Every time I think I'm out - they pull me back in!" This will be tough, but I think I can help a bit before I go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AD&D DM Guide and Players guide, the game as a whole, and the Basic Red box all rated.

Funny. Every once in a while I look back through my old books and think of how ridiculously complicated they all look (except the Basic D&D, I'll probably use that with my kids when they get older). But then I got into a group as a player for Pathfinder.... I had no idea what 'complicated' really meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I can rate RPGs, despite having played them for 30 years. (Holy crap!)

For one thing, I've given up on trying to find an actual system I like, so unless the game has some really unusual system which is central to its gameplay (like Dread), I'm going to ignore all the rules anyway. I'm not interested in tracking hit points or figuring out the modifiers for an off-hand shot from a moving vehicle; that's all an impediment to the good stuff. The best times I've had in games have all been because of the ideas & interaction of the DM & players; the worst times have all been because someone was trying to map their description of the action to a system which couldn't handle it. (And the second worst times have been because someone was forcing the action to conform to some game's structure or time scale.)

I think I own 5 different editions of Gamma World, each with its own wildly different systems. The one I would rate the highest? The one where I didn't know what we were playing, because all the dice & the numbers on my character sheet were on the DM's side of the screen. I don't know which edition of the game that was, because it didn't matter! (So, uhh, other than HiveGod's session reports, I'm not RPGGeek's target audience, ha ha.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
I will see what more I can rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
But I think I only played RPGs that are Swedish... However maybe I should drop in on the RPG side of the site too see what I acctually can rate...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's not an easy way to find only Swedish RPGs, but you can search by either RPG or RPG Item (which means specific books). If you pick one of those two in the search box, you can then rate the items right on the page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve,

I only ever rate the games that I own and I've just realised that I DO own a copy of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd Edition so, I have added it to my collection and rated it accordingly.

Regards,

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of the children!

HiveGod wrote:
It's 8th grade, and a friend of mine is throwing a sleep-over D&D birthday party. It was to be an orgy of nerd-dom, filled with junk food, talk of boobs like we knew, and better than 36 hours of hot D on D action. There are eight or nine of us, all low-level characters, and this one giant kid none of us know. Giant is relative, of course -- he just happened to hit puberty at 10 or something and ended up man-sized, complete with mustache, by 8th grade. But what the hell -- we are a friendly and accepting lot of misfits anyway. The more the merrier!

Except that this guy is an enormous dick. Instead of rolling up a third-level character as instructed by the DM he brings the crowning achievement of his 13 years -- an 18th level Anti-Paladin. He gets into the role pretty much from the get-go, letting us know we were his insectile servants and that any lip would be met with torture. A few of us stand up to him only to get smacked down, held fast with horrible spells, and have his cigars put out on our naked buttocks. And when you're third level that shit takes off an appreciable chunk of your life.

Whipped and cowed, we head into the dungeon, the party acting as his trap lackeys. Like sticks jabbed into beartraps we take the brunt of the punishment; in battle he hangs back and makes fun of us, coming in only at the last moment to snap up the lion's share of XP and all of the treasure.

It's nearing midnight and we're getting demoralized. My thief is scouting ahead, tripping traps with his last bit of HP, when I come upon a particularly nasty-looking trap room. Through winks and nods the DM lets me know that this is Serious Stuff. Manfully, I declare that I'm going in because "I'm pretty sure I saw a pile of magic items in the far corner."

The Anti-Paladin perks up. "You will do no such thing, worm."

"Dammit," I protest, selling it, "You've been screwing with us all night and I want some treasure!"

With a sneer he swats me aside and strides into the room --

-- and it's pretty much like that, only with fire, lightning, and red-hot spikes fired from the mouths of laughing gargoyles. When the door pops open, the Anti-Paladin staggers out, smoking, with only one hit point left.

So I trip him.

Shrieking with rage he face-plants and expires.

We sit in the pooling silence for a moment, not really sure how to feel about where we all suddenly find ourselves.

Someone shatters the moment with the immortal words:

"I loot the body."

"NOOO!!!" the Anti-Paladin screams, but it's too late. Like a group of hyenas on a baby antelope we fall on his character sheet, rip it from his hands and begin parting out his kit.

He raves. He rages. And then he hits someone.

It was like a lit match tossed into the house -- our house -- that he had been splashing with gasoline all night long. As a pack we fall on him, hold him down, draw a pentagram on his chest with Hershey's Chocolate Syrup (in the handy squeeze bottle), carry him outside and throw him in the pool.

We've all been there, right? So go rate your own personal 8th-grade sleepover!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So I rated some books and systems from the BGG domain. It was very hard to rate anything very high at all (I use the BGG descriptions for rating games). Later, I switched to the RPGG domain to browse around to see if there was much more I could rate and found that the rating system is different! I was able to rate books, etc, higher.

So if you rate with the BGG system, be sure to rate from the RPGG side!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
Think of the children!

HiveGod wrote:

It was like a lit match tossed into the house -- our house -- that he had been splashing with gasoline all night long. As a pack we fall on him, hold him down, draw a pentagram on his chest with Hershey's Chocolate Syrup (in the handy squeeze bottle), carry him outside and throw him in the pool.

We've all been there, right? So go rate your own personal 8th-grade sleepover!

There ain't no justice quite like nerd justice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.