Subject: Greeks q rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dejan Vlahović
Croatia
Varaždin
flag msg tools
Hi again.

"after the Greeks research a tech that no other player knows or is researching that turn,they retain all of the ... on their dial "

Is that mean ; knows or researching only that turn--- or for all of oponents tech card researching or knowing from begining of the game ?

Ty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It includes all the tech throughout the whole game. For them to keep their trade, they must research a brand new tech that no other player has at all, including that same turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Decros wrote:
Hi again.

"after the Greeks research a tech that no other player knows or is researching that turn,they retain all of the ... on their dial "

Is that mean ; knows or researching only that turn--- or for all of oponents tech card researching or knowing from begining of the game ?

Ty

Once you know a tech you know it forever. So they have to choose a tech that NO player knows currently and that NO other player also researched at the same time you did to be able to retain trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejan Vlahović
Croatia
Varaždin
flag msg tools
Ok, ty all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koey Foo
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all.

Hmm I'd think the "or" would mean either has to qualify for it to work? I mean, it didn't state "and"

Meaning if:

Everyone else has Pottery already
Everyone else turned out to be researching say Currency this turn
Greece is researching Pottery this turn
Greece retains all trade this turn

If I'm wrong can someone please explain to me why? Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
molepunch wrote:
Hi all.

Hmm I'd think the "or" would mean either has to qualify for it to work? I mean, it didn't state "and"

Meaning if:

Everyone else has Pottery already
Everyone else turned out to be researching say Currency this turn
Greece is researching Pottery this turn
Greece retains all trade this turn

If I'm wrong can someone please explain to me why? Thanks in advance!

Quote:
the Greeks research a tech that no other player knows

From the original post. Does another civilization know Pottery? Yes, so no.

Further explained: You either are researching tech X, already know tech X or don't know tech X (during the research phase).

IF tech X you are researching is not known by any other player in the game AND no other player is researching tech X this turn you keep the trade
OR
IF no other player knows OR is currently researching tech X that you are researching then you retain your trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:
IF tech X you are researching is not known by any other player in the game AND no other player is researching tech X this turn you keep the trade
OR
IF no other player knows OR is currently researching tech X that you are researching then you retain your trade.

Agreed. Let me make it somewhat clearer here, but steal dlhammond's excellent phraseology, and reduce another step toward a quasi-mathematical expression:

IF ((tech NOT known by other player) AND (tech NOT researched this turn)) == IF NOT (tech known by person OR tech researched this turn)

In boolean logic, when you pull out a NOT, you also switch the AND to OR.

In written English of a rulebook, it is confusing to the non-techie to write parentheses, but this is essentially what happened. Their phraseology, I believe (from a previous post) is:

Quote:
After the Greeks research a tech that no other player knows or is researching that turn...

Clearly the negative ("no") is applied not just to "other player knows", but also to "is researching that turn", so this is the English equivalent of wrapping parentheses around the whole expression, meaning the expression is: IF NOT (tech known by person OR tech researched this turn). I think we can agree it would be ludicrous to interpret the ability as: IF (NOT tech known by person) OR (tech researched this turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koey Foo
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all I understand perfectly now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.