Clue Suspect» Forums » General

Subject: Which is better, Clue Suspect or Clue the Card Game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blank Francis
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clue Suspect or Clue: The Card Game? Has anyone played both and can give their insights as to which is the better game?

I like the idea of the deduction aspect of Clue (Cluedo where I'm from) minus the board and dice, but both of these games offer this and they look so similar I can't decide on one. Suspect does have the advantage of being newer and quite a bit cheaper, but is it better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Tan
Indonesia
Balikpapan
East Borneo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For sure, the card version is far greater than the board version.. Board version requires luck more than strategy, but the card version is all about strategy..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blank Francis
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, but there are actually two different card versions, which is what I'm asking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Alfredsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played clue:the cardgame and after reading the session report on this site I can see some clear differences and similarities.

1) the board movement is gone.
This is true for both games and it is a clear improvement over the roll and move luck-fest from the original.
However the cardgame has a "board" mad up of locations. Each person simply takes a location and places it in front of them to signify where they are. From what I gather the suspect game doesn't require a place to accuse from.

2) Deductions
This is very different. The cardgame has a notepad similar to the original, here you have cards that you remove. On the other hand, the cardgame separates male from female, vehicles come in groupings of blue or red background color as well as in air, on sea or on land. Also the 9 locations are grouped by compass directions.

3) how you ask questions
In this game you ask for a cars and you go all around the table until someone says they have it or no-one does.
In the cardgame you have action cards on hand that allow you to do very different things, cards can be snoop, all snoop, supersleuth or private tip.
Snoop just lets you take a random card to look at, all snoop allows everyone to do this.
Supersleuth lets you ask for a category within the 3 categories and the player has to show those cards. You may ask for blue vehicles or male suspects for instance.
The private tip is the same, but with a pre-printed grouping so you can hand the card over silently.

All in all, suspects is a shorter game than clue without any randomnes whatsoever. Whereas clue the cardgame is clue without roll-and-move and with a lot of random sneaky information trading.

Personally I feel the cardgame is a wastly improved clue but it isn't much shorter. [edit] I took a look and it says it plays in 30 min.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The poster above summarizes it really well.

I played and owned both, and this is how I feel about them.

The "card game" is more fun in the sense that it's more of a "game", it's less of an exercise in pure deduction. Some randomness and other ways to get information are included. Deduction takes different shapes, gameplay feels varied.
It takes the core of Clue and expands on it.

The "suspect" game takes the core gameplay of clue, and minimizes it even further. Less cards, and you can only suspect two "things" instead of three. Interestingly, I feel this makes the deduction aspect more accessible, and the change from notepad to cards (innocent pile vs unknown pile) drives this designaspect really home. Also, this versions caters to people wo played the "official" version with its graphics, and even includes cards just for flavour.

I prefer Suspect, because it really, really is clue. It also is shorter, and is less complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.