Malaysia
Kota Kinabalu
Sabah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have asked this question long time ago. How do I compress my pdf into smaller size. I save it directly from Adobe Photoshop (save as pdf) and I don't know which setting should I use to have a good quality printing at the same time smaller size file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meaker VI
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually print to PDF, since that'll dump all of Photoshop's layers and special stuff that really eat up space. As to settings, 300 dpi is pretty good quality. Embed the fonts if you've used anything fancy. If 300 dpi is too big, drop to 200 and see if that works, it's only marginally lower quality and most at-home printers probably won't notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flatten Layers first to eliminate the layers and make the file smaller. You can open the Photoshop pdf with Acrobat Pro and Reduce File Size as much as you want. An acceptable print setting is at 200dpi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robertson Sondoh Jr
Malaysia
Kota Kinabalu
Sabah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The flatten layers and the 200 dpi resolution really helps. Although where can I get print to pdf?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robertsonsondohjr wrote:
Although where can I get print to pdf?

The easiest (and most expensive) answer is "buy a Mac!" where it's a default option whenever you're printing and - in my experience - just works. Which I realise is a bit of Apple advertising, but it's often a lie; not in the case of printing to PDF.

There are numerous third-party options for Windows, ranging from Adobe products - the full version of Acrobat used to come with something like this, not sure if it still does - to freeware; do a search for 'print to pdf windows' on Google and you find dozens. I've used CutePDF before, IIRC, but I don't think it's the easiest-to-use option, so I won't recommend specifically. Often these take the form of a printer driver for a non-existent printer, which just write a PDF file out whenever you print anything through them.

If you're running Linux, then you probably know how to do it already can print to a postscript file instead of a printer, and then use the 'ps2pdf' utility which IIRC comes with Ghostscript. But it's been a couple of years, and my experience with ps2pdf wasn't the most favourable. I'm sure there are other options I'm unaware of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gadi Oron
Israel
Rehovot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

In Adobe's Photoshop and Illustrator you have many options available when you "Save As > PDF". When you find a good set, save it so you could re-use it as will.

My options in Photoshop are:
- The highest version of compatibility
- All options are unchecked
- In the compression tab: No down-sample, JPEG2000, High quality, convert to 8 bit.

That's it.

robertsonsondohjr wrote:
I should have asked this question long time ago. How do I compress my pdf into smaller size. I save it directly from Adobe Photoshop (save as pdf) and I don't know which setting should I use to have a good quality printing at the same time smaller size file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Print to PDF" is an option that appears after you have installed a PDF creation program such as the full version of Adobe Acrobat (not the Reader, which is free).

Essentially, it adds a "virtual pdf printer" to your list of printers, and you "Print to (the) PDF (device)" just as you would print to a laserjet or inkjet printer. In this case, after choosing the PDF device, you provide a name for the file, and it creates a PDF file.

There are free PDF creator programs out there, which vary in terms of their strengths. Any of these will suffice, but each will have its areas of expertise (in order of most features to fewest): Bullzip PDF Writer, PDFCreator, CutePDF, doPDF, and TinyPDF. This group is also among the least nagging, being free.

Good page here from earlier this year showing a comparison chart of 15 PDF creators... http://www.freewaregenius.com/2011/06/16/the-best-freeware-v....

Since you're working with Photoshop and can create PDFs through saving, the options regex mentions are a good place to start. Depending on your opinion of the output quality, I also suggest trying some of the options for down-sampling color or black+white images in the file. You can often lower image quality without a significant objectionable loss in the resulting file.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.