BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: market value mechanic for financial card game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

I'm designing a financial card game where players buy/sell various kinds of assets: fixed / variable income, and capital growth / income types.

I'm looking for a method to allow for changing market value for aggressive growth / speculative assets without too much randomness (dice roll or card draw for price to go up/down) or introducing more components (tiles, in the case of Acquire, or railroads for 18xx).

I understand that player demand should play a part, but this requires more players for it to be effective. I would like something that can work with 2 players.

I'm thinking maybe multi-turn conditional event cards can work. For example: "For the next 5 turns, values of all Tech stocks increase by 25 per turn, unless die roll of 8 and up, in which case all stocks get -10 correction. If die roll value is 12, all tech stocks crash to 50% their value, and speculative tech stocks (risk factor of 9 and 10) crash down to 20%."

Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each player has a card, from 1 through 10 and colored red or black.

Each turn, both players may play a face-down card next to each commodity. Reveal them both at the same time.

If the black color is higher, the player who played that card may raise the value of that commodity by +2 (for an even card) or +3 (for an odd card). He may opt not to raise the value at all.

If the red color is higher, the player who played that card may lower the value of that commodity by -2 (for an even card) or -3 (for an odd card). He may opt not to lower the value at all.

Players do not replenish their hands until they run out of cards (after 3 turns for a 3-commodity game), so this part of gameplay will depend on seeing what the opponent has already played and guessing how valuable the commodity is to them this round. You don't want to use a card higher than you have to, because it will take awhile to replenish your hand. Hold on to the high cards too long, and you're giving your opponent free reign over the market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Rolling Stock
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.