Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Buckel
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this the first time last night at a meetup. If I have a trapper down on the board early in the game and the surveyors move west, am I allowed to still place tiles (not meeples) around my trapper to increase animals in the scoring area?

Looking at the on line rules, I don't see any restriction to placing tiles after the surveyors have moved west as long as I don't place a meeple down. Robbers/Shopkeepers and Farms all get removed if incomplete but since trappers stay layed down on the board for the entire game, seems like it's ok to fill holes and expand areas so you can score more animals at the games end?

Sound right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
buck380 wrote:
Just played this the first time last night at a meetup. If I have a trapper down on the board early in the game and the surveyors move west, am I allowed to still place tiles (not meeples) around my trapper to increase animals in the scoring area?

Looking at the on line rules, I don't see any restriction to placing tiles after the surveyors have moved west as long as I don't place a meeple down. Robbers/Shopkeepers and Farms all get removed if incomplete but since trappers stay layed down on the board for the entire game, seems like it's ok to fill holes and expand areas so you can score more animals at the games end?

Sound right?
Two things wrong with your assumption. First, tiles are not affected by the movement of the Surveyors. So you may place them anywhere that is legal even "east" of the Surveyors.

Second, the Surveyors do not affect the placement of Meeples either. You are still allowed to place Meeple to the east. But it is dangerous because if the Surveyors move, they will again clear anything to the east of them. So it is not the position of the Surveyors that affect anything, it is their movement (no movement, no effect).

This means that if you place a tile to the east of the Surveyors, you can place Meeples, including trappers. If the Surveyors move, non-Trappers will be cleared but not any newly placed trappers.

As a note, you can prevent the movement of the Surveyors by not placing anymore tiles west of their position. Of course your opponents might not be so willing to allow this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
mbmbmbmbmb
we just played this for the first time last night. you explanation of the rules cleared up a few things, but also made me have a new one.

At the beginning we place the surveyors. they move west, do they have to stay in the same row? if there is not a tile in front of them they cannot move? if that is true that changes a lot? (we had to read the rules twice. a few of the explanations seemed odd)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't have to stay in the same row, no, but they'll never be more than 1 row apart. If there are no tiles to the west of them, then they don't move, as you say (after all: where would they move to?).

The idea of having *two* surveyors instead of one, as far as I can tell, is so that you have to have *two* scored-features before the westward movement forces removal of meeple (except the Trackers of course) from the east of the east-most surveyor to move. If there was only one surveyor, meeple would be being removed from the board a lot more often, and so it would be very hard to complete any towns or farms (I find it near impossible to complete farms as it is!) without doing the "jump in at the last minute" way we end up grabbing incomplete features east of surveyors.

Does that help at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
njshaw2 wrote:
They don't have to stay in the same row, no, but they'll never be more than 1 row apart. If there are no tiles to the west of them, then they don't move, as you say (after all: where would they move to?).

One correction: they will never be more than a column apart.

For the question before this, think of it as a spreadsheet with the surveyors in the headings of the column. The rows do not need to be continuous, but they will advance column by column until they run out of columns (ignoring rows as they go).

Quote:
The idea of having *two* surveyors instead of one, as far as I can tell, is so that you have to have *two* scored-features before the westward movement forces removal of meeple (except the Trackers of course) from the east of the east-most surveyor to move. If there was only one surveyor, meeple would be being removed from the board a lot more often, and so it would be very hard to complete any towns or farms (I find it near impossible to complete farms as it is!) without doing the "jump in at the last minute" way we end up grabbing incomplete features east of surveyors.

That is exactly it. Moving two surveyors cuts down the westward progress by half.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
One correction: they will never be more than a column apart.

Whoops, yes, got my rows/columns mixed up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.