Power Grid» Forums » General

Subject: 3 network limit per city rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Stowe
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
is it true that you are limited to no more than 3 networks from a city? If so, in a two player game we were unable to get to 21 cities to end the game. We could only reach 19 cities. How does the game end in that case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
Only up to three players can add a city to their network and earn money for powering this city. An unlimited number of players can build their network through a city (without placing their token their) to some other city. In this case a player pays the money for the connection to this city, for the connection from this city to some other city and for the newly connected city at the end of this connection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure, but it sounds like you might be misunderstanding the term "network," which refers to all the cities connected by a single player. So in other words, only three players may ever put their markers in a single city. There is no limit to the number of connections that can be made. So I can connect to Las Vegas, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Pheonix, Santa Fe, Salt Lake City, and so on. So can you, assuming we're in step two or higher; and a third player, if we're in step three. But there's no way for a fourth player to build in a city.

In a two-player game, there should be 21 cities available (seven cities per area times three areas), and all of them are available to both of you once you enter step two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
stoweman wrote:
We could only reach 19 cities.

In a 2P game, you play in 3 regions, each region has 7 cities, so 21 cities is a house in each city on the map.

So how were you blocked from those last 2 cities?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Stowe
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
thanks for the responses, we misunderstood the rule on page 5. it states "a city may only be connected to a maximum of three different networks" so we were thinking that you could only "branch out" in three directions. I understand now that it means only three players can pass a network through a city. In 2P or 3P it doesn't come into play but for 4P - 6P it's a restriction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
stoweman wrote:
I understand now that it means only three players can pass a network through a city. In 2P or 3P it doesn't come into play but for 4P - 6P it's a restriction.

This is correct. Or even more simply, each city has spaces for only 3 houses. So once all three of those spaces is filled (this cannot happen until Phase 3,) no one else can place a house in that city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
stoweman wrote:
is it true that you are limited to no more than 3 networks from a city? If so, in a two player game we were unable to get to 21 cities to end the game. We could only reach 19 cities. How does the game end in that case?

I don't understand, and suspect you have a rule wrong. Why could you "only get to" 19 cities? You can get to any city on the board if you have enough money, and if you just keep playing you will get more money.

The limit of 3 networks in each city is completely irrelevant in a 2-player game; you must be misunderstanding something else. Each player can only place one house in a city, so the restriction that only 3 houses can be placed in a city total has no effect on a 2 or 3 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
stoweman wrote:
I understand now that it means only three players can pass a network through a city.
Note the rules says "a city may only be connected to a maximum of three different networks", so what that means is up to three different players can place houses in that city, but it by no means stops other players tracing a network route through that city without connecting it to their network. It may not be common, but there are certainly times when you want or have to 'skip' a city when building your network.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.