Subject: Episode 101: The Family of Blood rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt D
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just discovered this fantastic game the other day and I'm totally hooked, so I just have to stat posting some gameplay sessions. My plan is to start from the First Doctor and make my way up to the present, with any Doctor having access to any of the applicable locations that are available up until now. Hopefully by the time I get to the Eighth Doctor that set will have been released.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The First Doctor: Brains 13, Brawn 4, Bravery 9; Luck 6
Traits: Aware, Bureaucrat, Engineering, Gloating, History (2), Science, Thief
Abilities: Irritable, Poor TARDIS Pilot, TARDIS Crew

Susan Foreman: Brains 8, Brawn 4, Bravery 6
Traits: Aware, History, Science, Running, Screamer
Personality: Loyal, Protective (The Doctor)

Notes:
The TARDIS has a -2 penalty when attempting to set controls (e001a).
You may heal wounds within the TARDIS as if you had Medicine.
If you land on an Earth adventure < 1950 and encounter a Character that can become a Minion of an Enemy before you encounter an Enemy, then that Character becomes the Enemy instead. See ce02.

Scaling: 1

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Prologue (CA00)
Potential Intruders Roll: 6 (No Event)

With his TARDIS finally repaired, The Doctor and his granddaughter Susan are able to depart mid-20th century Earth and begin their travels anew.

Destination Dice Rolling: 4, 2, 2, 2 (using cmocmoc's Excel spreadsheet)
Result: A426

Vortex Event Roll: 9
Result: E010 (TARDIS Locker)

Rummaging Roll: 6
Result: In his rummaging, the Doctor manages to find a medical kit which he stuffs into his coat pocket. Satisfied that it will be useful in a potentially hostile environment, the Doctor leads Susan outside on what is certain to be one of their many adventures together.

Turn #1 (A426)
The Doctor is quick to discover that the TARDIS appears to not have wanted to leave quite so soon, having deposited the pair in practically the same temporal spot: a rural English village in 1962, a mere year earlier than when they left; and on the same planet, no less! Still, its quiet nature seem to make it ideal for a brief holiday prior to getting started on their journeys.

Action Options: Relax, Explore, Explore History, Meddle
Explore History Roll: 4 + 3 for History = 7

The Doctor and Susan decide to take some time to explore the history of their locale, but what with it being a rural village in 1962, they predictably find nothing.

Encounter Roll: 6 (No Event)

Turn #2
Action Options: Relax, Explore, Explore History, Meddle

The Doctor, already bored of the era from their time spent stuck while the TARDIS was being repaired, decides to have a bit of fun before they leave and sees what meddling he can get up to.

Meddling Roll: 9 + 3 for Aware/History = 12

The Doctor’s meddling goes a bit too far (+1 DM) as they stumble upon the Family of Blood (V524, -1 DM) scheming away in a secluded area.

Enemy Encounter Check: 4 - 1 for being Turn 1-4 = 3
Which Family Members Check: 5, 2 = Mother of Mine, Son of Mine
# of Scarecrows Rolls: 2 - 3 = 0; 2 - 3 = 0
Mother of Mine Effect: -1 DM, 1D6 Roll = 4 (No Event)

The Doctor breathes a sigh of relief when they notice there are only two of the four Family present, and with none of their scarecrow minions. He takes his granddaughter’s hand and squeezes it comfortingly as he addresses Son of Mine to talk.

Brains Roll: 13 - 2 for Son of Mine’s presence - 2 for Mother of Mine’s presence = 9, Roll = 5 (Brains Check Successful)

The Doctor manages to verbally trick the Family and the pair escape (+1 DM).

Encounter Check: 9
Encounter Roll: 6 (Plot Event; becomes Goal)
Goal Roll: 2

Via some subtle questioning of the locals, along with his own awareness of the Family, the Doctor deduces that they are likely there for him, on a Time Lord hunt (E156, +1 DM). Despite his somewhat curmudgeonly exterior, he knows that if he does nothing that the Family will kill the residents of the village in their quest for him, and resolves to stop them before it can happen.

Turn #3
Action Options: Plan, Research, Conflict, Seek Help, Defeat Enemies
Research Roll: 10 + 2 for Science = 12
Successful Research Roll: 6 (+1 DM in lieu of Science bonus)

The Doctor and Susan hit a breakthrough in their research (E083), bringing them a step closer to taking down the Family. (Unable to use Science on future Research rolls)

Encounter Check: 9
Encounter Roll: 2 - 1 for knowing the Goal = 1 (Plot Event; becomes +1 DM for already knowing Goal)

Turn #4
Defeat Enemies Roll: 7 + 4 for DM - 1 for Turn 1-4 = 10

The Doctor and Susan attempt to defeat the Family, but an unknown factor (E111) comes to light, threatening the victory.

Unknown Factor Roll: 2 (E145; becomes E059 [because of no allies]; becomes E062a as per Goal)

Potential Enslavement Roll: 5 (Only the Doctor)

Before they can defeat the Family the Doctor and Susan are captured by an overwhelming group of the Family’s minions: the entire village! Despite the Doctor’s attempts to talk the Family into allowing Susan to go free they refuse, but simply restrain her rather while the Doctor becomes enslaved (E062a, -1 DM) to the Family as they prepare to use him for his time travel technology.

Turn #5
Susan Escape Roll: 7
Enslavement Roll: 7

Susan is unable to escape, while the Doctor forcibly does what the Family orders and reluctantly helps with their plan (-1 DM).

Turn #6
Susan Escape Roll: 3
Enslavement Roll: 6

Susan is caught trying to escape (-1 to future escape attempts) while the Doctor continues to do the work forced upon him (-1 DM).

Turn #7
Susan Escape Roll: 5 - 1 for being caught once = 4
Enslavement Roll: 11

Susan is caught once more trying to escape (-2 to future escape attempts), but the Doctor manages to break free of his captors.

Rescue Attempt Roll: 9 + 2 for the Doctor’s attempt - 2 for Susan being caught twice = 9

On his way out, he’s able to rescue his granddaughter and the pair retreat to figure out their next move.

Encounter Check: 7
Encounter Roll: 3 - 1 for knowing the Goal = 2 (Enemy Event)

The Doctor and Susan don’t breathe easily for very long, as the Family comes upon them quickly and are none to pleased at their escape.

Enemy Encounter Check: 4
Which Family Members Check: 5, 6 = Mother of Mine, Father of Mine
# of Scarecrows Roll: 5 - 3 = 2; 4 - 3 = 1 (3 scarecrows total)
Mother of Mine Effect Roll: 1 (No Effect)

Yet again the Doctor attempts to talk their way out of their predicament.

Brains Roll: 13 - 2 for Mother of Mine - 1 for Father of Mine - 1 for previous attempt = 9, Roll = 7 (Successful)

Once more the Doctor is able to trick the Family and escape with Susan (+1 DM).

Turn #8

Realizing that the Family is drawing ever closer to fulfilling their plan--and that he helped to speed them along towards it--the Doctor and Susan decide it makes the most sense to split their efforts and research individually.

Doctor Research Roll: 4 + 2 for History = 6
Susan Research Roll: 9 + 1 for History = 10

Though the Doctor’s research reaches an impasse, Susan makes progress (+1 DM).

Encounter Check: 5 (No Event)

Turn #9

Desperately attempting to figure out what they need to defeat the Family, the Doctor and Susan redouble their research efforts.

Doctor Research Roll: 11 + 2 for History = 13
Doctor Successful Research Roll: 1 (becomes 4 after Luck re-roll)
Susan Research Roll: 7 + 1 for History = 8 (becomes 10 + 2 for History = 12 after Luck re-roll)
Susan Successful Research Roll: 5

Both the Doctor and Susan achieve breakthroughs, with both requiring a little bit of luck (-2 Luck, +2 DM).

Susan Encounter Check: 10
Encounter Roll: 5 - 2 for being able to Oppose = 3
Enemy Encounter Check: 1 + 1 for Turn 9-12 = 2
# of Scarecrows Roll: 6 + 2 for turn 9+ = 8

Susan is set upon by over a half dozen scarecrows, and attempts to evade.

Running 7 Roll: 6 + 1 for Running = 7 (Successful)

Susan successfully escapes from the mindless straw men and prepares to reunite with her grandfather.

Doctor Encounter Check: 8
Encounter Roll: 1 - 2 for being able to Oppose = 1
Enemy Encounter Check: 4 + 1 for Turn 9-12 = 5
Which Family Members Check: 3, 1, 4 (duple, therefore re-roll to 6) = Daughter of Mine, Son of Mine, Father of Mine
# of Scarecrows Rolls: 3 - 3 = 0; 2 - 3 = 0; 2 - 3 = 0 (0 scarecrows total)
Mother of Mine Effect Roll: 4 (No Effect)

The Doctor attempts to talk them into submission.

Brains Roll: 13 - 2 for Son of Mine - 1 for Daughter of Mine - 1 for Father of Mine + 1 for Gloating = 9; Roll = 6 (Successful)

The Doctor’s elocution is able to successfully defeat the Family of Blood, and the day is saved.

Climax Check: 2 - 1 for Family of Blood DM = 1
Climax Roll: 3

However, a series of explosions (Climax #3) go off as the Doctor defeats the Family. He takes off running, praying he can escape the blasts.

Running 7 Roll: 10 + 1 for Running = 11 (Successful)

Luckily, the Doctor manages to break free of the blast radius. A short time later he meets Susan at the TARDIS, and they take off, both glad to be away from the sleepy little village.

Gained Luck: 4 for Goal minus -1 for Family of Blood’s DM = 5; 5 + 4 for remaining Luck = 9 total Luck

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Well, that was certainly thrilling, wasn't it? My first complete playthrough, and I think it went rather well. There were only a couple of instances of uncertainty, which I'll mention here in case anyone can clarify for me:

1) You'll notice on Turn 9 that I had to do a re-roll when I was figuring out which Family members were confronting the Doctor. As rolled originally, I rolled two Daughters of Mine. Was I right to re-roll to get a different Family member or was there some rule I didn't notice about situations like this?

2) To build on what I said in 1, since the Doctor and Susan were split up and both had Enemy encounters, there was a chance that they would both have had run-ins with Family members. How would that have been resolved, exactly? I can see a scenario like this being somewhat complicated since there is only a finite number of unique members of the faction. I suppose one could have simply substituted scarecrows in the second instance, but that just seems rather clunky to me.

Anyway, I'm really excited to keep this thing going, so if anyone has any comments or suggestions on the layout of the report, or perhaps pointing out any rules that I might have missed, please don't hesitate to say so!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the game.

What a great session report - it looks like you've got the game covered - I can't see any obvious errors.I see you're using all the Companion actions and ability rules too - wow, I'm impressed first time out,

Having said that if playing the Scaling rules, the first Enemy you have can't have a DM of less than 0!

And is your Luck total now 7....?

With questions like the ones you pose about the Family, the rules can't cover each issue in detail so go with an intuitive resolution like you did here.

Thanks for posting - I look forward to seeing more....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mackenzie
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report. Enjoyed your session.

It's great to see players, especially new ones, delving into the classic doctor expansions. Just wait til you get to Doc 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Simon: Thanks for the comments. It would make sense that the only thing I missed was something that should have been blatantly obvious, but since if anything not scaling the enemy to 0 made it more difficult for me it seems to me that I can probably let myself slide this once. XD

According to my character sheet, I currently have 9 Luck points immediately following the adventure (started with 6 being the First Doctor + 1 Luck for the Scaling - 2 Luck for Re-Rolls during the adventure + 4 for the Goal Level + 1 for the Family's DM = 10)...oh, it appears I miscounted how much luck I had remaining. In reality I appear to have 10 Luck points remaining at the end of the adventure (before character advancement, of course; it seems to make more sense to me from a narrative standpoint to reveal that at the beginning of the next adventure, as a sort of "what happened last time" stinger). Is this far more than I should have or did I do a bit of arithmagic to get that number?

@Steve: While I do enjoy Troughton quite a bit, my favourite classic Doctor has to be Davison. That having been said, the Big Finish audios have made me change my mind on Colin Baker and he now comes in right behind Davison as my second favourite classic Doctor. Funny how that can happen, eh? Still, I'm really looking forward to how the rules will change as I move from Doctor to Doctor. I've been able to keep my hands off of the other Classic expansions in order to keep it as a surprise, somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand corrected (forgot the 2 Luck points extra for 1st Doc and scaling)!

10 to play with....

(Thanks for the kind rating btw)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome, and it's more than deserved. I can't wait to see more content. 1 game in and I'm hooked already!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Cromer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
devil

Great game session. It only gets better. Simon has struck gold with this game. Welcome to the greatest game going in the universe. I`m already late for an important date. As a doctor, I still make house calls. My tardis is about to take off. See you somewhere in the Doctor Who universe. Good gaming.

Freebird out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.