Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric M
Canada
Aurora
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had friends and family over for games before. But that usually consists of many kids running around, a full dinner being served, and games played near the end of the evening, after things have started to wind down.

What I'm planning for next week is a kid-less game day/night that starts in the afternoon and goes into the evening. So far all guests have confirmed that they are coming. With my wife and I, that makes eight people.

There will be four of us who are experienced gamers, three that are inexperienced but willing gamers, and one who is a somewhat reluctant gamer.

I think that with eight players, it may be necessary to break up into two groups at some point, because I don't have many games that play with eight... Dixit Odyssey, The Resistance and Time's Up Title Recall come to mind. And I would like to get in some (lighter) strategy games, and that usually has an upper limit of no more than six players. Maybe I'm kidding myself and we won't get through nearly as many games as I think. I have to keep telling myself: just go with the flow man. cool

The question is, should I invite more people? It would either be two or four more. I would like to, but I'm worried about how it would work out with even more people.

I know that this is obviously my decision to make, but does anyone have any suggestions about an ideal group size for something like this?

Maybe since this is my first try at a game night, I should stick with eight people?

Thanks,
Eric.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say 8 is a great number of players. Very little normal games don't play with at least 4 people. Since this is your first night in this fashion I suggest you keep it at that number and see how it goes.

Generally speaking the most difficult number of players is 5-6. Very few games play with 6 and splitting up into two 3's can feel awkward. But once you reach or pass 7 players it gets pretty easy to split off into groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
badge
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't help with your question, but it has other good advice:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/10/30/cardboard-childre...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric M
Canada
Aurora
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AsthmaticZero wrote:
1.) I have one game that I really want to play, and this game is the main reason we are getting together. For my group, this is usually something like Battlestar Galactica, Twilight Imperium, Cyclades, or Power Grid. In cases like these, I will invite only up to the max number of players that the game can handle.

Interestingly I recently received Risk Legacy for Christmas, and I was hoping that I could play it soon with 5 players. I believe that two or three of the players will be occupied for a portion of the night, as someone is asking for help with family wedding preparations. So if it works out that there is an hour or more that it's only five of us available, I might get my wish!

I went through my collection and found more that might work when all eight players are available:
Citadels
Saboteur
The Resistance
Unnamed Object
Shadows over Camelot: Merlin's Company
Dixit: Odyssey
Telestrations
Time's Up! Title Recall!
Ghost Blitz

So I guess I have quite a few options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric M
Canada
Aurora
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kempeth wrote:
I'd say 8 is a great number of players. Very little normal games don't play with at least 4 people. Since this is your first night in this fashion I suggest you keep it at that number and see how it goes.

Generally speaking the most difficult number of players is 5-6. Very few games play with 6 and splitting up into two 3's can feel awkward. But once you reach or pass 7 players it gets pretty easy to split off into groups.

Good advice, I think I will stick with eight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric M
Canada
Aurora
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Juleske wrote:
It doesn't help with your question, but it has other good advice:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/10/30/cardboard-childre...

Excellent article, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon W
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I've had a few game nights this year, I'm blessed with plenty of friends and family who are usually up for a gaming evening.

One thing I found is that people can get burnt out if you try to give them too many rule heavy games in one night, especially if they haven't played them before. Perhaps try a medium rule heavy game out first and see how they get on.

I tend now to start with a longer game (Mansions of Madness is popular with the whole group, or something similar in time duration) then get lighter as the evening goes on

Cheers

Simon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
If you want to play a few games for the whole group, play them at the start of the evening. It is difficult to do it later, bringing together a group that has split up already, because then two games have to finish at the same time or one group has to wait for the other to finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd stay stick with 8, as it's a size that naturally splits into two fours and you have quite a few inexperienced gamers in the mix. Maybe start with a short 8 player, but rapidly split into two fours, so everyone gets to play the style of game they like, but make sure you have at least one experienced gamer per table. Try to break up the groups and change tables at least once over the course of the evening - maybe at dinner break. And then finish with something everyone all together, light and silly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Invite more too play : Civilization,1830: Railways & Robber Barons or Advanced Civilization, maybe Die Macher ... keep it simple take your time .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.