Popular Tags: [View All]
Ernie Barrett
United States
Warren
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its hard to find a game my wife likes as Ive only recently gotten into obtaining games so my collection is rather small. Dominion was her favorite out of the limited games we have but only if we played with the attack cards. I recently introduced her to puerto rico and she loved it, its her new favorite. Only problem is its 3+player and my 11 yr old son doesnt enjoy playing it much ( even when he wins ). So Im hoping to find something that may appeal to her the way Puerto Rico did but can be played 2-player. The only req. is that it cant be too complex as she has a hard time grasping and remembering rules. ( She has MS and her cognative skills are diminishing )

Ive heard good things about The Road to Canterbury so was considering it. Any other suggestions or agreements with Canterbury?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite like the Puerto Rico 2 player variant. You should give it a whirl, you never know.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/1583/puerto-rico-varia...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm gonna go with the obvious suggestion - San Juan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second San Juan. You might want to look at Jaipur, which is easily learned and engaging. If you want something soothing and enjoyable, I've recently been taught this game with a regular deck of cards called Palace (or its also called shithead). With two players its engaging but you don't really have to think too hard. Just enjoy playing it. If her cognitive skills are diminishing it might be a good game for the future. Its easily googled for the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Quote:
So Im hoping to find something that may appeal to her the way Puerto Rico did but can be played 2-player.

Cuba.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Barrett
United States
Warren
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions, I was unaware of any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
I'm gonna go with the obvious suggestion - San Juan.

And it's a good suggestion as well! You can also think about Race for the Galaxy if you're interested in San Juan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
sunshiny wrote:
I quite like the Puerto Rico 2 player variant. You should give it a whirl, you never know.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/1583/puerto-rico-varia...

Persnally I prefer to play such that both players control two boards which act independently of each other. Either way works though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the idea of just playing PR 2P. I think its a fine game. I personally play that we draw 12 tiles from the bag so it creates a little randomness in the startup forcing a little variety in the mix.

I hate to jump in ahead of ken, but I think Eminent Domain almost perfectly fits the bill. It certainly works 2P and even though it is centered around a deck building mechanism, it has plantations (planets) and buildings (the tech tree) and role selections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play the 2-player Puerto Rico variant, and enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres F. Pabon L.
Colombia
Bogotá
DC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy has a very similar feel, and yet it plays very well with 2 players. Plus, it plays so fast, you can play several games in a row. I would definitely recommend that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some good suggestions in here.

Also Puerto Rico actually works very well for 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play San Juan a fair bit.

I've given up on Race for the Galaxy. A fine game to be sure, but it drove me batty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Incao
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Buy Stronghold Games
mbmbmbmbmb
ErnieB wrote:

Ive heard good things about The Road to Canterbury so was considering it. Any other suggestions or agreements with Canterbury?

Road to Canterbury is an excellent two player game and I think it is a great choice. Keep in mind that the mechanics are different than Puerto Rico as it is driven by set collection, hand management and area control rather than the Variable Phase Order.

If you like that mechanic I would go with Glory to Rome.

You may also like simultaneous action selection games. Fresco is a good example and something I would recommend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I love playing 2-player Puerto Rico. I believe the new Anniversary Edition of Puerto Rico actually is officially 2-5 players.

If it's the role selection aspect of Puerto Rico you enjoy, you might look at A Castle for All Seasons or maybe even Havana. [ EDIT: Just thought of another one: In the Year of the Dragon ]

However, if you like the producing and building aspects of Puerto Rico, Florenza comes to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:
I second the idea of just playing PR 2P. I think its a fine game. I personally play that we draw 12 tiles from the bag so it creates a little randomness in the startup forcing a little variety in the mix.

I hate to jump in ahead of ken, but I think Eminent Domain almost perfectly fits the bill. It certainly works 2P and even though it is centered around a deck building mechanism, it has plantations (planets) and buildings (the tech tree) and role selections.

I agree!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Barrett
United States
Warren
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for all the suggestions. My wife cant really figure out what she likes about Puerto Rico, she just likes it, lol. So Im not sure (yet) what similar mechanics I should shoot for in a different game that would scratch her itch.

I will be sure to check out all your suggestions. For now, I think we will try the 2-player variant since that seems like a no-brainer and is cheap, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mays
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think PR works best with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
GrrBlarg wrote:
I actually think PR works best with 2.

I think so too. I loved it the first I tried it using the official two-player variant. Brilliantly fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Patriss
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Eminent Domain. A great game even for people who don't care for Deck Builders

I don't like PR as a 2 player and I think Fresco is better with 3+ as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
aaarg_ink wrote:

I agree!

Throwing my hat in the ring here too. In many ways, I prefer PR 2 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
My wife and I play the 2-player Puerto Rico variant, and enjoy it!

Us too. It's one of her favourites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 player 7 wonders is a big hit with my wife. She also likes Race for the Galaxy and Dominion quite a bit 2 player. Good luck,

Happy Holidays,

Jacovis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith S.
United States
Dallas/Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan and Race For The Galaxy are two card-based games that have a similar role-selection/worker-placement feel to them. San Juan has the same theme and is a direct spinoff of PR, so it'll probably be the better choice for you.

I would also recommend Stone Age; it's a relatively light WP that's easy for casual gamers to understand, and plays well with 2 players. It does use dice, so it's more random in its basic gameplay than PR which you may not like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Havana - has role selection, not too complicated, great artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.