Popular Tags: [View All]
0,07 Geek Gold
Italy
flag msg tools
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
badge
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
mbmbmbmbmb
Last december the online M44 version was released. I bought a major pack and started playing, but then after 150 games I lost the appetite. Worse, I lost the appetite also for the real M44. Dont get me wrong I still like it but I've the impression the online version "killed" - this is my case - the joy I felt with the boardgame. If before my first choice was M44, now I just play it if my brother/friend asks specifically for it, otherwise I propose a long list of different titles. What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
"video killed the radio star"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
"video killed the radio star"

LOL!

Back to the topic: that happened to me too. After playing St. Petersburg and Race for the Galaxy on the computer, I lost the appetite for the real games. After 200+ games you see through them and they are no challenge anymore ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Second in a one horse race
Scotland
Bloxham
Oxon
flag msg tools
Cardboard rocks. It's just not the same on iOS.
badge
F&%K YOU, DODGEBALL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of player time per €, I think 150+ games is pretty good value whether you play online or table-top. I own games I've had far fewer plays of than this and I still feel I've had good value. I've not played Memoir nearly as much as this, but after 100 plays, I think I'd have gotten all the value out of it I'd ever expect to. It's fun, but just not that deep a game.

Maybe leave it aside for a year or two and you can return to it refreshed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have lost interest in the online version cos it only features single board games, which I don't even play on the miniatures game anymore. However I still adore playing Overlord format, both with miniatures and on vassal (live and pbem)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat. It's like the online version burned me out on the game altogether. That, and the fact that I'm now hopelessly addicted to the Combat Commander system.

I still keep my M44 stuff around. I still like Breakthrough and especially Overlord. It allows me to get some face time with friends from church who wouldn't give CC a second look. And it's a great gateway to wargaming, whether it's an actual wargame or not.

--
Edit: Tpyo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark A
New Zealand
Rolleston
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The online version has not diminished my enthusiasm for M44, in fact the opposite.

I have always had difficulty finding face-to-face opponents for M44. With the online version I can play people from around the world. There isn't any set up or pack up time. Rule interpretation isn't an issue. Awards and ranks add interest to the game.

That said the online version is overdue for an update, activate the next rank, new awards, new scenarios, fixes for expert mode terrain bugs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boddekker wrote:
I'm in the same boat. It's like the online version burned me out on the game altogether. That, and the fact that I'm now hopelessly addicted to the Combat Commander system.

Exactly my words!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main reason I never tried Mem online.

I don't want to mess with what I consider one of the best boardgames ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Garcia
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The on-line version burned me ... out of the on-line version.

I still love Mem44, be it vanilla, Overlord or Breakthrough.

Pushing toy soldiers and having fun with friends beats clicking and dragging and the occasional message, and that awful die randomiser!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
red_zebra_ve wrote:

Pushing toy soldiers and having fun with friends beats clicking and dragging and the occasional message, and that awful die randomiser!

So true,
I wish we had such rules when we played Pork Chop Hill when we were kids. Seriously, I couldn't imagine myself playing with army men in this day and age, but Mem'44 has become one of my best birthday presents.

It is quite amazing that still to this day, I swear computers do not know how to generate random dice numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had actually sold off all of my Memoir stuff a while back (including the Air Pack -- yes, I am a dumbass) since I have all of the C&C Ancients stuff and I generally prefer that game in this genre. The online game has rekindled my interest in Memoir so much that it has led me to reacquire the base set and a few expansions on Ebay for about the same price that I sold my stuff for a few years back. My son is now 8 years old and I think Memoir might have more appeal to him than Ancients (he currently likes Battlelore quite a bit) if we are in the mood for a light intro wargame with a little history behind it. I love being able to just jump on the computer and bang out two games in a half hour. Is it as fun as face to face play in the actual boardgame? No, but neither is playing games on Yucata or Spiel by Web and (so far) playing Euros on those sites hasn't burned me out yet. I think the key to avoiding burnout is variety of gaming whether face to face or online. Online play enables one to bang out so many games so easily though that it's much easier to burn out that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panzer 9000
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Phread wrote:
The online version has not diminished my enthusiasm for M44, in fact the opposite.

I have always had difficulty finding face-to-face opponents for M44. With the online version I can play people from around the world. There isn't any set up or pack up time. Rule interpretation isn't an issue. Awards and ranks add interest to the game.

That said the online version is overdue for an update, activate the next rank, new awards, new scenarios, fixes for expert mode terrain bugs.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
latindog wrote:
I had actually sold off all of my Memoir stuff a while back (including the Air Pack...

How much did you sell it for?
I'm thinking of selling my stuff too since I started playing Combat Commander: Europe which has a lot more depth in the game.
And I need cash for Black Cross / Blue Sky or [=101929][/] which are games that looks like worth diving into!!!

I got the start set, Eastern Front, Overlord Exp., Campaign book #1, Air Pack and Terrain Exp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.