Art Murphy
United States
Saint James
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

My name is Art and I just moved to Smithtown Long Island. I am a Avid gamer and am wondering where I can go (NYC or Long Island) to continue purchasing good new and old boardgames.

I am also looking to see if there are any groups that play regularly that are looking for another player! I will travel as far as NYC.

If you would please reply to artpmurphy@gmail.com

Thanks in advance!!

Art

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In NYC you can go to The Compleat Strategist at 11 East 33rd Street (between Madison and Fifth Avenue), New York, NY 10016, 212-685-3880. Their website is: http://www.thecompleatstrategist.com/

or you can go to Neutral Ground at 122 West 26th Street. 4th fl. NY, NY 10001, Phone: (212) 633-1288. Their website is: http://neutralground.com/

Those are both great stores to browse in NYC, but not as good prices as online; I prefer to just order online from Thought Hammer or Fair Play Games.

P.S. If you find a regular gaming group let me know, hehe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Larkin
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Art.

Long Island game stores are few, far between, and not so great.

Monkey Head Games is on Middle Country Road in Selden.

Men at Arms is also on Middle Country Road, but in Middle Island.

I believe there is one out on Jericho Turnpike just east of Woodbury, but I forget what it is called.

Good luck!

-kl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Holmes
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Men at Arms as the place to get games on this part of the island. Jim, the owner, is super nice and will order anything if he doesn't have it. Monkey Head is good too, but the prices at Men at Arms tend to be better.

Drew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are all the game stores I know of on LI, with address, phone numbers and comments:

Men at Arms
134 Middle Country Rd
Middle Island, NY 11953
631-924-0583

Probably the best of the lot in terms of selection and price. As noted, the owner is very nice and willing to order anything. There are usually teens in the store playing miniature games and talking about obscure unit stats all the while. If you like CCG's, look elsewhere. The owner doesn't care for them.

Monkeyhead Games
1244 Middle Country Rd
Selden, NY 11784
631-451-7000

A bit of a hole in the wall, but sometimes it carries things that the other local shops don't, such as Blue Moon decks (in fact, this was the only store that even heard of Blue Moon when I was shopping for it.) Decent selection, but prices are pretty close to M.S.R.P. They have a website at www.monkeyheadgames.com .

Strategy Game Corner
1200 Jericho Turnpike
Huntington Station, NY 11746
631-271-5955

Probably the worst selection, but the owner loves to talk games and will happily sit down to play a game with you that you've never heard of. They have computers set up for computer gaming, and there's usually a group of teens there when school is out playing on them.

Grasshopper Comics
76 Hillside Ave
Williston Park, NY 11596
516-741-5724

Obviously primarily a comic store, but they do have a few shelves set up with games. The best kept store of the lot, but the staff really don't know much about the games they stock. It's about even with Monkeyhead in terms of selection.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Just to add, you should be aware that Stony Brook has a sci-fi event called ICON once a year (in March, I think), that draws a lot of gamers and dealers selling games. The last two years they had quite a few eurogames sold and played.

-Mike Mayer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Heintzelman
United States
Setauket
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Men at Arms is definitely the best of the lot. A pretty good selection of boardgames, ranging from party games through Euros to hardcore wargames. As noted above, CCGs aren't so big (though I think he will sell you Magic cards if you look for them). He's also got a pretty good, and broad-based selection of RPGs -- I picked up my copy of Nobilis there without a preorder, while at Monkey Head I have trouble finding anything that isn't d20, even White Wolf products seem to be slim pickings (not that I hate d20 -- I just like a little variety)! There's also quite a bit of miniatures stuff there though I'm not into that so I have trouble assessing it.

Plus, the owner is pretty knowledgeable and will cheerfully order you anything you want.

The shop is a little cramped (he lost a lease on half the store a couple years back and so now the miniatures playing has to happen in a much tighter space), but clean -- a department I think Monkey Head is rather lacking in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Ward
United States
Suffolk County
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Just moved from Nashville to LongIsland! Where are all t
Being in Suffolk County, you might be interested in the Suffolk Gaming Forum:

http://rpg.divnull.com/suffolk/

The "trading post" section deals with local stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.