7 Posts

Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Incursion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rift and Trader rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philippe Marcil
Canada
flag msg tools
Many players ruled that the use of the Trader power should detonate the rift card. However, the rift rules clearly state the rift card have to be taken from your hand while the trader actually take your entire hand, no specific card is taken out of your hand per say. This clearly does not meet the rule requirement to detonate the rift card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Philature wrote:
Many players ruled that the use of the Trader power should detonate the rift card. However, the rift rules clearly state the rift card have to be taken from your hand while the trader actually take your entire hand, no specific card is taken out of your hand per say. This clearly does not meet the rule requirement to detonate the rift card.

That would actually be a plausible argument were it not for the fact that you've misremembered what Rift actually says. It doesn't detonate when it's taken from your hand; it detonates when it's taken from you. And Trader absolutely takes cards from players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
Pixeling ain't easy, but someone's gotta do it...
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Philature wrote:

So if I cut down an entire forest can I legitimately say I didn't cut down a "tree"? Of course not, that is senseless, a forest is a collection of trees; a hand is a collection of cards. Case closed.

The fact of the matter is the Trader is TAKING his opponent's hand, the opponent is not giving it away, as is demonstrated by the binding force he is using via his power. He is also GIVING away his cards under compulsion, so any Rifts in the Traders hand will not explode on his enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Messianic wrote:
So if I cut down an entire forest can I legitimately say I didn't cut down a "tree"? Of course not, that is senseless, a forest is a collection of trees; a hand is a collection of cards. Case closed.

It would be an interesting question if Rifts were worded to say that they detonate when taken from "your hand", since Trader says that the players "trade hands", so one could argue that the Rift was never removed from the hand it was in, since Trader literally moves the hands themselves.

Fortunately, Rift is worded in a way that makes the answer unambiguous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Marcil
Canada
flag msg tools
Here I quote the rule:

"if a rift card is taken from a player's hand"

You can take or leave what you want from my interpretation.

And I disagree with the concept of card and hand being the same; each clearly have different uses in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
Pixeling ain't easy, but someone's gotta do it...
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
So by that logic what happens when you have one card left in your hand and it is a Rift then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Marvosh
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because my hand consists of only one card doesn't mean it isn't a hand anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.