Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your like me, then you know how annoying it is to always having to calculate the block values every turn because you forget what they were from the previous calculation. This really slowed down the game for my group. The "high value/low value" tokens only help a bit in this regard but I would like to be able to know at a glance what the values are.

I had an idea of using d30's on the corner of each block to keep track of their value but this is too cluttered and apparently d30's are not the cheapest dice.
What I think would work best is to have a small matching board on the side that can be updated as the game progresses and changes. I guess I could just use a pencil and eraser to keep it updated but I was hoping that the more artistic and clever folks on BGG could lend a hand and come up with a more appealing look. I lack the talent for this type of mod :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
The irony in all of these suggestions to have some way to mark these blocks is that they probably end up taking just as long or longer to update than just doing some simple math and checking when you need to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah setting up a bunch of dice or writing down and constantly updating all the values sounds like it would take a whole lot longer than just doing simple math (adding 2-4 numbers) whenever is needed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't feel any need to keep the value of every block on the board, but I would definitely like to have it very clear where the most valuable buildings of each type are. I'm not very clever or aesthetic, so the best I've come up with is trying to find some wooden cylinders in the colors of the four building types, and placing those in the center of the blocks containing the most valuable building of that type (color). You'd need multiple of each color, as different blocks can be of the same value and contain the same building type, but this would give you an immediate visual of the most valuable building landscape. Your idea of a d30 turned to the current value is a good one as well - one more piece of information at a glance - though I fear it may be too big to work effectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The values don't change all that often so for me it really doesn't seem like a big deal to update 2 rows every now and again when it does change. This happen maybe 10 times a game. Recounting every turn multiple blocks to figure out your best move definitely takes longer.
I never said I have a problem adding the values, it's more of a problem remembering them and being able to analyze the board efficiently.

I've got a few markers I use for identifying the most valuable of each type of building, but they don't indicate cost. This isn't so bad but sometimes you really want to know what all 4 buildings are going for so you can make your choice which to urban renewal :). I like games where I can do quick a analysis at a glance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
http://boardgametop10s.com/audio/bg10.xml
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the sort of thing that a digital version would excel at. It would be a simple thing to color-code the blocks and keep them constantly labeled with their prices. Alas, the analog way -- as usual -- is more difficult.

I may try out that "chart to one side" idea next time I play, though.

More dice-related ideas:

- Use a D20 rather than a D30. That should cover you in most situations; in the exceptions where it doesn't, toss in a D6 or D10.

- Use 2D10. That will certainly cover everything, but it has the disadvantage of being pretty dice-intensive toward the endgame when a lot of spaces will need 2 dice.

- Use a D4 or D6 and D10. Similar to the above, but using the 4/6 as the tens place. The D4, in particular, might be pretty nice with its tens place pointing up.

- Use 1D10, but have each color be a different tens place. Say black for 1-9, white for 10-19, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aweberman wrote:
This is the sort of thing that a digital version would excel at. It would be a simple thing to color-code the blocks and keep them constantly labeled with their prices. Alas, the analog way -- as usual -- is more difficult.

I may try out that "chart to one side" idea next time I play, though.

More dice-related ideas:

- Use a D20 rather than a D30. That should cover you in most situations; in the exceptions where it doesn't, toss in a D6 or D10.

- Use 2D10. That will certainly cover everything, but it has the disadvantage of being pretty dice-intensive toward the endgame when a lot of spaces will need 2 dice.

- Use a D4 or D6 and D10. Similar to the above, but using the 4/6 as the tens place. The D4, in particular, might be pretty nice with its tens place pointing up.

- Use 1D10, but have each color be a different tens place. Say black for 1-9, white for 10-19, etc.

Ya can't wait for the iPad app!

Thanks for the input. You did give me an idea. I've seem some pretty tiny D6's before, like the ones that Victory Point Games provides. 2 of those per block would barely take up any space on the streets. I'll see of I can get a bunch and try it out next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ice
United States
San Jose
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like stacking a second cube on the most valuable buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll make a small sheet with the board on it and get it laminated, then use dry erase marker to keep track of the values. There are many times in the game where a quick glance would be helpful, like when you only have 13 dollars to spend and you need to build somewhere. It's not just adding 2-4 numbers, it's adding 2-4 numbers possibly a dozen times in one turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
I think I'll make a small sheet with the board on it and get it laminated, then use dry erase marker to keep track of the values. There are many times in the game where a quick glance would be helpful, like when you only have 13 dollars to spend and you need to build somewhere. It's not just adding 2-4 numbers, it's adding 2-4 numbers possibly a dozen times in one turn.

Great idea Steve!

I'll be trying that one out for sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
The irony in all of these suggestions to have some way to mark these blocks is that they probably end up taking just as long or longer to update than just doing some simple math and checking when you need to.

You need to calculate almost every time it's your turn, since the value of the blocks is necessary to know for building purposes.

I would think some small chits with numbers from 2-32 would be appropriate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on a web tool for this. It's not pretty, but I think it's functional at this point.

http://www.neophi.com/home/bjoughin/urbansprawl/index.pl

Your feedback is welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrifically useful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hideous to look at, but pretty sweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United States
Neptune City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ktice wrote:
I like stacking a second cube on the most valuable buildings.

That's what I started doing after the 2nd payout came up. I started using the scoring cylinder for this purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.