Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sven Kaiser
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I'm a huge fan of Bonaparte at Marengo and its great luckless system (that little luck used for setup doesn't count).
I own Napoleon's Triumph as well although I've never had the opportunity to play it yet.

I wanted to know if there are more wargames whith a system that uses no (or almost no) luck for their combat resolution.

Recently I've come across Strike of the Eagle which seems to rely on cards only to modify combat strengths.

Are there any other wargames with systems comparable to these 3 games?
If those games use fog of war and maybe secret unit deployemt, then I would be more than happy to read more about it.

Please do NOT post totally abstract games like chess and the likes which are not at all my cup of tea.

Many thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Diplomacy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Palmer
United States
Birmingham
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Engage isn't based on any specific theatre of battle, but uses no luck (no dice, no cards) in its battle resolution. And is quite enjoyable and a nice change of pace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Battle: The Game of Generals

Then there's War at Sea (second edition), which according to the cover description has 'no random luck elements'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Complete Brigadier is a tactical-level miniatures wargame that's notorious for its unusual "diceless" nature. I own a copy but haven't played it. Those who have always say good things about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3W's Ancients I & Ancients II have a dice-less optional rule where the combat results are fixed depending on the odds ratio, essentially assuming that a 3 or 4 (forgot which) is rolled on the CRT. For ranged shooting, it is assumed 1 in 6 shots will score a hit (assuming you needed to roll a 6) or 1 in 3 shots will score a hit (assuming you need to roll a 5 or 6), with the shooting player chooses which shot is successful.

Not sure if the VPG version (Ancient Battles Deluxe) kept the same rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
deadkenny wrote:

Then there's War at Sea (second edition), which according to the cover description has 'no random luck elements'.

gulp

I'm not convinced that a game without luck CAN be a wargame.

Simulations always include randomizing factors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan. And it works so well because not only do you have the uncertainty of the blocks, but the uncertainty of the cards each player has in their hands and how they will play them. This kind of card play I don't see as being more than "minimal" luck factor--other card-assisted games (like the Combat Commander Series) have the cards taking the place of dice which to me is just like having dice.

Of course, I like them all. But these kinds of games where luck is minimized sure makes for more interesting gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
ericmwalters wrote:
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan This kind of card play I don't see as being more than "minimal" luck factor--other card-assisted games (like the Combat Commander Series) have the cards taking the place of dice which to me is just like having dice

True up to a point. The range of results are limited by those on the cards which are determined by the designer. The roll of the dice is far more random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 de Mayo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whistling Death

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Clausewitz compared war to a game of cards. In other words, luck plays a role...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
D-Day at Omaha Beach uses diceless combat resolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

The range of results are limited by those on the cards which are determined by the designer. The roll of the dice is far more random.

Not true for any meaningful definition of "more random" I can think of. Depends on the game, not the type of randomizer used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This one:

Kriegspiel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Combat Commander: Europe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Clausewitz compared war to a game of cards. In other words, luck plays a role...

True, but I think the essence is that you don't know in advance how things will turn out. NT has no luck element, but its emphasis on fog of war has the same effect on the players. It doesn't really matter whether your uncertainty is based on a die or lack of knowledge about the opposing force; either way it takes nerve to launch the attack, and leads to the same elation / frustration upon resolution.

Why people worry so much about the source of that uncertainty fascinates me. There are games that do it with dice, games that do it with cards, and games that do it with unknown unit values. The fact that it happens is what is important. No boardgame is truly like real war, but so long as the uncertainty exists, it can model it satisfactorily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
Ashiefan wrote:

The range of results are limited by those on the cards which are determined by the designer. The roll of the dice is far more random.

Not true for any meaningful definition of "more random" I can think of. Depends on the game, not the type of randomizer used.

I agree; the range of results on dice or cards is determined by the designer. One difference I see is that dice have no memory, where a deck of cards (as usually employed) does. For example, if you draw a low card, the average card value of the deck increases. Many such games will use a reshuffle card to introduce more uncertainty.

Speaking of low-luck games, you might look into A Game of Thrones (first edition), which is more Ameritrash than true wargame. However, the combat is luckless. The main uncertainty is that each player secretly plays a card from his hand to modify his total combat value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this one ? Apocalypse has a random chit pull start, after that no RNG.

Not sure whether or not guessing an opponents number could be listed as lucky or not. If you're a bit of a Cal Lightman then its all science...

As far as I recall - the combat mechanics are guessing a number your attacker has chosen on a dice. If you guess wrong you lose an army. If you guess right the attacker loses the number of armies that he chose - he can only choose a number up to the number of armies he has attacking. If an attacker eliminates an area he gets to move in a number of armies equal to the dice - or if its a 6 as many as he likes. There are also rules for things like only being allowed to use the numbers 1 to 3 when attacking mountains, and when attacking from sea to land the defender gets two guesses.

Played lots of enjoyable games of this back in the day, and the number guessing starts to get very psychological - plus given the numbers are not all equal and have tactical implications, theres some bluff and counter bluff going on in choosing a number. I have seen some players lose their nerve entirely and just start rolling the dice to choose a random number for them, so they cant be out-psyched. Of course you could rule this is against the spirit of the guessing game and allow no dice rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
wifwendell wrote:

So does stacking the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
This one:

Kriegspiel

Yep, Kriegspiel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
Elcomandante wrote:
I'm a huge fan of Bonaparte at Marengo and its great luckless system (that little luck used for setup doesn't count).
I own Napoleon's Triumph as well although I've never had the opportunity to play it yet.

I wanted to know if there are more wargames whith a system that uses no (or almost no) luck for their combat resolution.

Can you say why you like this sort of wargame? I'm just curious.

Do you think it's more realistic somehow? Or do you just not like rolling dice? Or what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
wmd8tc wrote:

Seriously? No luck involved? You must play a very different version of the game than the one I am familiar with. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Patrick Carroll wrote:
The Complete Brigadier is a tactical-level miniatures wargame that's notorious for its unusual "diceless" nature. I own a copy but haven't played it. Those who have always say good things about it.

Complete Brigadier had some excellent ideas for representing marching troops around in formation, something a brigadier was supposed to be familiar with, but the combat system quickly became predictable to the point of making the game no fun. We house ruled it in fairly short order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Kaiser
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, big thanks to all for your posts! I really appreaciate your advice and will look into the games I don't know yet.
Concerning Kriegsspiel, I had the huge opportunity to play an Air Force Kriegspiel on a very large 10mx10m floor map of central Europe (modern-day forces) during my General Staff school a few years ago.

Patrick, what I like in Bonaparte at Marengo is the elegance of the system:
- it has fog of war
- it uses Kriegspiel-like red and blue unit markers
- the combat resolution system is just brilliant (no combat resolution table, damage when retreating, a single piece of artillery forces prioritising)
- the rules are really not intuitive on some points but once you have played a few turns, they become so logic and the key of the game (as far as I have identified, please correct me if there are other opinions) is movement! Basically you win through clever moves, especially of your cavalry and by using wisely the roads on the map.

I remember holding back the Austrians until the very last round when I oversaw a small road which my brother mercylessly used to flank me and win by that little difference of 1 point!

The only 2 things I regret is the absence of other maps or scenarii and the absence of a computer version (I've read about a similar game recently on Android and are following its discussion but I own no Android device yet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.