tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
hellz yeah!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Start here, then keep reading.
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20021104
9 years worth of comic should keep you occupied for a little while...

Did they stop hiring Phil, of did he stop submitting work to them?
I understand that doing art for magic cards was never very profitable and got significantly less so after Hasbro bought WotC.

Hell, here in KC we've got a local artist who does art for M:tG cards, she's been doing cards since Beta. She specializes in dragons and Faries. Anyway, she apparently makes far more money selling her paintings at Renaissance Festivals than she's ever made from the Magic Cards. She keeps doing cards because her friends play the game and she likes the name exposure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My initial reaction to the title is, "Does he want to?" As others have said, Phil doesn't need the exposure, and certainly has plenty of work getting three pages of Girl Genius up a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumb up my stuff.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I talked to him once at San Diego comic con and he told me that they just stopped giving him work. Perhaps his work is too "cartoony", still it would be awesome to let WOTC know that his work is wanted.

I also asked him if he wanted to and he said, "Yeah I'd love too. They have my number."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumb up my stuff.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens after every intense scene in nearly every movie ever? A joke; comic relief. If you ask me, MTG could use some humor. It has been taking its self WAY to serious for way too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I miss Richard Kane Ferguson.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumb up my stuff.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah RKF is great too. In fact he is probably tied for my 2nd favorite with Anson Maddox. both of them got brought back for time spiral block, Phil didn't. Which is why I made this thread, to discuss how we can get some new Foglio in some modern framed MTG cards (Cold snap theme deck reprints don't count... Browse and perhaps one other one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Smith
United States
Port Arthur
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

releasethedogs wrote:
What happens after every intense scene in nearly every movie ever? A joke; comic relief. If you ask me, MTG could use some humor. It has been taking its self WAY to serious for way too long.

Nearly every movie ever? Exaggerate much?

In my opinion a game only needs to be fun, not funny. Also, in my opinion, the wacky, unpredictable gameplay of Magic provides far more humor for the players than the corny humor displayed on some of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumb up my stuff.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artaxerxes wrote:

Nearly every movie ever? Exaggerate much?

In my opinion a game only needs to be fun, not funny. Also, in my opinion, the wacky, unpredictable gameplay of Magic provides far more humor for the players than the corny humor displayed on some of the cards.

Other than perhaps Horror movies, no I don't think it is exaggeration. Its part of film making. There are entire classes devoted to how to do comic relief properly.

Anyways, the purpose is to organize some Foglio fans and getting a letter/email writing campaign going. If you don't agree with my cause then why are you bothering to write in this thread?

But I digress, I am going to bed. Its 2am where I live. (the far east) Talk to every one tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
LordHellfury wrote:
But looking at the past decade of M:tG, his style doesnt fit the Michael Bay style of artwork that WotC has been emplying for quite sometime.
Exactly.
releasethedogs wrote:
If you ask me, MTG could use some humor. It has been taking its self WAY to serious for way too long.
Exactly.

One of the funniest/saddest parts of Magic is how violently serious the fanbase takes pretty much everything about the game, including the art. Just look up "Jace, Memory Adept" in The Gatherer and see people that rate it poorly not because of the card's abilities, but because "he has anime hair now."

Don't make me bust out some Stasis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Ege
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TiwazTyrsfist wrote:
Hell, here in KC we've got a local artist who does art for M:tG cards, she's been doing cards since Beta.

Melissa Benson? She'd have to have been doing the cards since Alpha, since Beta had no new artists in it. She's also the only one I can think of from Alpha through Revised that drew a dragon (Shivan Dragon).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss Richard Kane Ferguson as well. Phil Foglio, eh...not so much. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.