Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Phillips
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire,
flag msg tools
mb
Wondering what reviews of Eruption are like and whether worth investing in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
See for yourself...Eruption
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Phillips
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire,
flag msg tools
mb
Has anyone played this game and can comment?

Looks interesting but not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading, I think I'll stick to Pompeii.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Phillips
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire,
flag msg tools
mb
Myoman wrote:

Which version have you got - several are listed.
In what ways do you think its better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Pompeii is a little more "Euro-ey" in that it's more of a worker placement game (in the first half) and then you have to move your people to safety while directing the lava to your opponents in the second half of the game. There's some luck involved, but there is some strategy in determining where you place your people and who you try to evacuate first in order to give you the best chance to win.

Eruption seems to be more luck dependent and fast moving. You're still trying to screw over your opponents and burn their village before yours gets toasted, but you're more at the mercy of card draws and die rolls than in Pompeii. That can be a good thing or bad thing, depending.

I think they're both pretty good -- I played Pompeii online and played the PnP version of Eruption -- but they serve different audiences. While neither is a serious, heavy game, I think eruption is the lighter of the two and the one that you might have the most luck getting everyone to play. Pompeii is easy to learn and play, but it can be intimidating to those not used to euros.

I will say if ease of acquisition is a factor, go with eruption. I just learned that Pompeii is OOP and I had the devil of a time tracking it down (my post about that is here). You might have a hard time finding Pompeii for a reasonable price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
Cannot get that anymore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
daveyleedsUK wrote:
Wondering what reviews of Eruption are like and whether worth investing in?

You can view the reviews on the Eruption page. Simply scroll down until you found the "Forum" bar. Click on "reviews" to view them (save your time instead of looking for one page-by-page).

Here's one that I recommend for a good read. Ender's Comprehensive Pictorial Overview: Does Any One Else Smell Burnt Toast?

IMO, eruption has a high "take that" element. That basically means, whatever you do to your opponent, is sort of like a direct attack. Or in other words, the "screw you" factor is high. It's understandable to attack an opponent who's leading, but may cause some uneasiness if you simply attack for no clear reason. Imagine playing this with 6 players.

If you or your friends are okay with the situation, that I'd say go for it. I think it's a good game for a laugh.

Meanwhile, I'd suggest for an alternative, Survive: Escape from Atlantis!. Get the Survive: Escape from Atlantis! 5-6 Player Mini Expansion if you want to upgrade to 6 players.

In this game, it's pretty much the same but in a more subtle way. I prefer the screw factor in this game. When you want to attack, you just see which survivor is the nearest to the sea creature. So there's a clear reason why do you want to eat that survivor. Sometimes, the victim even awed cause he knows he's going to be eaten.

I played this with my family, and they can handle this kind of cutthroat-ness.

Merry Christmas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Lauck
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eruption is like Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
I like both games, they can be played fast, you can be mean and it's very luck-heavy. I don't know if you need both games (Eruption +Survive) but I'd give both a try.
And to say sth. about the direct confrontation: Later in the game all villages are surrounded by lava and it doesn't matter who placed the tile there, it's just all about building walls, cooling and get the other villages hotter than yours ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Angrax wrote:

And to say sth. about the direct confrontation: Later in the game all villages are surrounded by lava and it doesn't matter who placed the tile there, it's just all about building walls, cooling and get the other villages hotter than yours

Thanks for pointing that out. I guess I've missed that part out. I actually haven't try Eruption so I basically commented based on what I think . I should probably leave it to those who have at least try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.