Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading this great strategy article:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/686906/strategy-the-art-of-f...

I realized that I had played very few battles from Exp#4 (I'm in a chronological series that has not reached AD yet, and the Spartans won't help!). So I set up one of the battles discussed, Abrittus:

Basically, the Romans are pursuing the Goths through marshes and, while coming out, they find them waiting formed in a well supported line. To make their situation more desperate, they have a limited command of 4...

I tried to think of a strategy from the start (I played solo as Roman trying to do my best with the Goths), but the Romans had little time to think because the Goths fell upon them from the start! The two pictures bellow show the starting positions, the lines of move, and the armies at the end of the battle, from two view points:

The Goths advanced in all sections, but more strongly on their center/right. The Romans reacted along two lines: first tried to fire on the Warriors, getting several of them down to 3 blocks, which softened the impact of their charge. And a few turns later, with two well suited cards, tried to take some trong possitions close to the Goth baseline: Move Fire Move lead one Auxilia to the hill on the Roman right, and Double Time lead the heavies with leader to the hill on the Roman left!

The Auxilia on the right was doomed, but it slowed down the Goth advance on this section, in which the Romans had no cards, and took several blocks before dying, with their 3-dice power from the hill. The heavies on the left were surrounded, and though they killed quite a lot of blocks too, and disrupted the Goth advance in this section, were down to 1 block and close to offer two VB... when Rally appeared:

The best use of this card I remember! It recovered 2 blocks, and killed the last 2 VB needed for an "easy" 6-2 win!!! The right section had resisted well with the firing of the WM thanks to the heroic Auxilia, and the center/left was supported with a flank attack with some cavalry from the center.

A very good battle, I'll try to play some of these besides my chronological series!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a great report of one of my favourite scenarios, Miguel.

Great use of Rally. I'm sure most players would agree that Rally is usually a disappointing card to draw and seems to fail more often than succeed, but as with every single card in the deck, there are games where its time comes, it's the most valuable card you could possibly hold and it wins the battle. Rally was the perfect card for this scenario at this time.

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The other Euro guy
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. An interesting report with some great pictures.

I notice that you have pimped your game with some miniature leaders, Miguel. What are they? Do you have different figures for different civilisations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Steve!

Yes, these minis are my 3rd or 4th temptative to make "deluxe" leaders, and the definitive one (I think!):

They are from a Greek chess set, I use the pawns as normal leaders, the knights as special leader, and the bishops have a female look for Boudica, Zenobia, etc...

They are the right size, and are heavy enough. Next time I go to Greece I'll look for more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.