United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

Poll: The 174th TGIF Poll
Will you play games this holiday weekend?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Absolutely
56.1% 176
Probably
21.7% 68
Maybe
11.5% 36
Doubtful
8.9% 28
Not a chance
1.9% 6
Voters 314
During which holiday are you more likely to play games?
New Years Eve/Day
28.1% 88
Christmas Eve/Day
21.7% 68
Both
39.3% 123
Neither
10.9% 34
Voters 313
Not counting the BGG Secret Santa, do you think you'll receive any games this holiday season?
Absolutely
38.5% 121
Probably
14.3% 45
Maybe
8.0% 25
Doubtful
21.0% 66
No Way
10.8% 34
I already have
7.3% 23
Voters 314
This poll is now closed.   314 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:00 am

4. How will you be celebrating the ringing in of the new year?

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Absolutely

2. Both

3. Absolutely

4. At home with the family. We will play games or watch a movie. If the kids make it to midnight, we will ring in the new year by watching the ball drop on TV then shoot a few fireworks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Second in a one horse race
Scotland
Bloxham
Oxon
flag msg tools
Cardboard rocks. It's just not the same on iOS.
badge
F&%K YOU, DODGEBALL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
4. I shall be celebrating the ringing in of the New Year by sleeping. I have a 6-month old daughter who's been a bit poorly (nothing serious, just back-to-back colds) so she's been up half the night for the last fortnight because her nose blocks up. We have both families round over Christmas, so New Year will be a chance for my wife and I to crash out... until the fireworks start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
pepper One way or another, games will get played this weekend. We already have several new ones to try out that have arrived in the past few days.

nutmegnutmeg Normally New Year's Eve/Day has a better chance of gaming simply because there will be less travelling involved, although this year we don't have any visitors planned so it won't be the marathon gaming session like in some past years.

pepperpepperpepper We've already received a game from a non-BGG/Secret Santa source (my brother-in-law sent us one), so this question is an automatic "absolutely".

nutmegnutmegnutmegnutmeg No idea yet, but I expect that we'll just hang out at home and keep things low-key. Most of our friends and relatives that live in the area will be out of town, so it'll probably be just our family this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. It's my family over for Christmas this year, and playing games has always been part of my Christmas with them, so I'm hopeful we'll get some games, especially as my son loves board games too now. Even if we don't, my husband and I will probably play games both evenings, and possibly even tomorrow during the day, if we get all our jobs done!

2. I'll probably play games on Christmas Day, but I always play games over New Year - for at least ten years now we've invited the same friends over for a few days over the New Year period, and had a few solid days of games - and having children hasn't stopped this, although it might have reduced the actual number of games.

3. I've asked my sister for Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game this Christmas, and my parents for Duplik, so I know I'll be getting at least two games this Christmas!

4. A solid evening of games with two gamer friends! The best and only way to spend New Year in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Noone dares to give me a game - chances are way too high that I already own it meeple

Wifey, me and some friends on the flat roof of my house, looking at the fireworks over Vienna, eating salmon and drinking sparkling wine.
According to the Maya calendar, it's the last time we can do this meeple

Edit: Stupid typo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
According to the Maya calendar, it's the last time we can do this meeple

A shortcoming of Mayan math, not the universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I insure and doubly indemnify for not receiving games by treating myself every year! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
My birthday is Dec 29 so I usually have a New Years Birthday Gamer party and we are set to game all night.

(My four year old wanted to add goodevilsoblue)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Absolutely (Lord willing---don't want to be presumptuous.) We have people coming over who like to play games.

2. In fact, we have planned game-playing both weekends.

3. Not sure whether I'll get games as a gift (but I'm giving games as a gift, so that's almost as good. Which one is a secret, however.)

4. Our church has a game evening planned for New Year's Eve, and we'll be selecting a bunch of games that are easy to learn and attractive to take with us (we already have a reputation as the game people at our church.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
:C.h.r.i.s. M.c.G.o.w.a.n:
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Absolutely. Game playing has been a holiday tradtion from way back - group party games, to family traditions like Dominoes ensures something get played this weekend.

2. Both

3. Nothing for Xmas since i am trying to reduce or at least hold stable with the # of games I own. Although a friend gave me a card game for my Birthday (12/23).

4. A good gaming friend is hosting his annual New Year's Day Game Day at his house. I used to sit around and watch bowl games on NYD, now I spend time playing board games with people I enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing / teaching some lighter games to a group of non-gamers on Christmas eve and playing serious games on New Year's eve from around noon until 8:00 p.m. Unfortunately, I'll have to leave at that point but some of them are planning to continue on through to the new year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Menzel
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Missed it by that much ...
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 I put Probably, even though it is almost a certainty that games will be played, cuz you just never know ... I would put Definitely for New Year's Eve, because that is how we ring in the new year, usually slaying zombies, but it may be Survive! or King of Tokyo this year ...

d10-2 More likely to play on New Years, just because it has become a tradition. There is so much going on Christmas that sometimes we don't get to play those Christmas gift games until a couple of days later (or New Years)

d10-3 I have already received some games (and gifted some) from my gamer buddys (got the Lord of the Ring Card game - woot!) - for some reason, my family refuses to buy me games ... whistle

d10-4 We usually spend New Year's Eve playing games - depending on how "festive" things get, the complexity of the games tends to go down as the evening goes on ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mb

Watching TV, drinking, reading in bed by 10pm if I'm lucky, elsewise, watching TV till 11pm, playing Age of Empires or Nemo's War, count my lucky starts and asleep by 12am if there's no whooping going on outside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Blott wrote:

I'll likely be playing games New Year's Eve into the afternoon, and then spending a quiet evening at home with my family. I've never been much of one for making a big deal of the last digit of the year changing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As my sister-in-law and her family are visiting her in-laws in the Isle of Wight this Christmas/New Year (technically it was their turn to have the kids this New Year) I think I'll be having a Lord of the Rings movie marathon with beer on the side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be in Osaka for new year. I hate new year but maybe it'll be ok chilling out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Blott wrote:

With a few hundred Esperanto speakers at a gathering in Gdańsk. I expect some boardgames will played in addition to the more typical New Year's Eve party type festivities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Driving the five hours to Nashville to watch the guitar drop at midnight. I am really looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My family is heading up to Burlington VT for First Night. Lots of great Vermont muscians, Cirkus Smirkus, Dinoman, free Looney Tunes at the theater. Lots of fun!!

Gaming the day after christmas and New Years!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian MacDonald
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and son are gamers, so I'm reasonably sure there will be games given and played, perhaps not on the 25th exactly, but certainly over the coming week.

Now my extended family are not Eurogamers, but Christmas day is the one day they traditionally do play a game, usually a party game of some kind. And since they know I'm a gamer, they usually look to me to provide it. Last year was Wits & Wagers, which they enjoyed enough that they may request a return engagement, but I'm hoping to get them to try Time's Up, which I've wanted to get them to play for years now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How will you be celebrating the ringing in of the new year?

Falling asleep on the couch by 10:15 just like last year... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New Year's eve will probably be playing a couple games, finishing by 10 p.m. Hiking and/or games New Years day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4. I'll be working until 11:45pm, so I'll ring in the new year while driving home on the 405. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My sister-in-law is a gamer and in town from out of state, so we've already gotten a few games in. She said she wants to try Race for the Galaxy before they head back, so we'll definitely do that, at least.

The last few years, they've gotten a game for me, so it wouldn't surprise me if that happens again (and we'll probably try it - two Christmases ago we spent a lot of the day playing the Dominion they got me). I didn't directly get a game for her this year - instead, I got Gloom for her husband, as he's only an occasional gamer but will probably play that one because of the theme. I guess you could call it a dual gift

I'm more excited about New Year's Eve than I've been in several years because we'll be back visiting my family this year, and one of my friends from high school always hosts a party that's basically turned into a reunion of our group of friends, some of whom I haven't seen in years. Probably no games that evening, but I wouldn't trade it.

Merry Christmas, Ben! (And everyone else here who celebrates it!)

Edit: Oops, had to edit my answer to the poll. One of my gamer friends gave me The Ungame: Christian Version as a gag gift already, so I'm absolutely getting at least one "game" for Christmas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.