Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Smith
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First ever session report on the geek, feedback is welcome.

I bought the game a couple of months ago and finally had the chance to break it out last night and we managed four games with five players (all first time players). A brief summary follows (probably fuzzy on a couple of details due to lack of sleep.)

The night started with a walk-over for the Resistance as the spies were in spots four and five relative to the starting Leader (Jason). Jason chose Lary and myself (spot 2 and 3) and the mission passed. The second mission Lary chose himself, me, and Brandon (spot 4). Brandon tried to be devious by passing the mission which we realized later was a tactical mistake as this allowed me as the next leader to choose myself and Lary (both had passed two missions) for the Resistance win. No real accusations flew in this game as I think people were still getting the feel and the one chance the spies had to fail a mission they didn’t take advantage of.

The next game started with the first mission passing (Jim/Jason) and the second failing (Jim/Jason/Lary) - much discussion ensued as to who the spy was. Jim then used a plot card to bring the leader back to himself and choose two new players (Brandon and myself) to try and alleviate suspicion on himself. The mission passed with suspicion then falling on Jason and Lary (who were the next two leaders). Lary had cast suspicion on himself by not using his plot card (look at a mission card) when he had a chance on the second mission. Their suggested missions included themselves and both failed with the leader card passing. The final mission of myself, Brandon, and Jim was approved and the mission passed for a Resistance victory.

The third game actually went the distance even though Brandon’s ESP correctly ID’d the two spies right off the bat. Brandon was the leader and picked myself and Jason to go first (the two spies). We both passed the mission and Brandon somehow picked up that there was at least one spy in that pairing, strongly suspecting Jason and even myself a little (bad acting on our part maybe?). The second mission failed as Jim picked Lary, myself, and himself. I didn’t think we could survive having two passed missions off the bat so I played a fail card. Unfortunately Jim had the plot card where you can look at a face down card. He looked at Lary’s and announced it was a pass. I tried to spin Jim as the spy and after the third mission passed (Brandon/Lary) I managed to convince Brandon to include me on the 4th mission rather than Jim. I promptly failed the mission but that pretty much solidified my role for everyone and the last mission succeeded with both spies sitting on the sidelines.

After a break for Ticket to Ride we played one last game of The Resistance before I had to leave (I somehow was the only one that had to work the next day – grrr!)

The last game ended quickly. Lary started as leader, giving a plot card to Brandon and then picking myself (not a spy) and Brandon for the first mission, which failed. I made the case that Brandon was a spy along with Lary based on giving him the plot card and then not choosing himself for the mission. I proposed myself, Jim, and Jason and the mission passed which solidified for those two that I was not the spy. The leader passed around a bit as we voted down Brandon and Lary’s suggested missions and Brandon snagged the leader card back with a plot card, but we managed the third and fourth missions with just Jason, Jim, and myself participating for a Resistance victory.

That is all a bit stream of consciousness, but hopefully you get the gist. The first game went in about three minutes but the others lasted quite a bit longer with much discussion, accusation, hypothesizing, and what not. Breaking down the games afterwards we pretty much agreed that everyone was making tactical mistakes when they were playing as the spies that cast suspicion in the correct (for the good guys) direction. Hopefully next time someone can pull of a spy victory!

We also felt it might be harder to ID spies with more people - has that been other's experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
5 is the easiest to nail the spies in my limited experience. 6 is harder just because there is an extra person that could be a spy. 7 is harder because there's an extra spy. But in 6, it's easier to randomly not pick the spies...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.