BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Midwest

Subject: Any couples in the Toledo, Ohio area? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rusty Shackelford
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
My wife and I have for a few years now really been hoping to find another couple that plays board games to hang out with. We have meet one or two and gotten along with both of them, but it got way too hard to get together with them between their kids and the distance(both couples lived about an hour away). The couple we still hang out with will actually be opening their own hobby lobby sometime soon and I am afraid that will be the end of us ever being able to hang out. I hope we still we stay friends, but with both of them working two jobs in addition to the store and with a second baby on the way....I just cant see us getting together as often as we would want to.

So with that we are hoping to find some more friends that play board games! We really would love if we found another married couple, but I guess two brothers or a few friends that get together regularly would probably work. We just prefer to keep things to a small setting of 3-5 people and dont enjoy playing in huge groups. There is really nothing specific we are looking for in a couple, age, race, sex or sexual preference really does not matter since we are looking to play games with you not wife swap...well less your a lesbian couple and I can talk my wife in to that trade

Just a little about us. We are in our late 20s and are both really big geeks. When not playing games we usually are reading, playing video games, taking our dogs to the park or being foodies trying to hit every restaurant in the area. Our favorite games tend to be on the lower to mid end, stuff like Ticket to Ride, Summoner Wars, Small World and Qwirkle but we do have some lower high end stuff like Agricola and Legend of Drizzt we will play with the right people.

Only other thing to really add is you must be ok with dogs since it gets really old only going to the other persons house(plus I hate leaving my dogs kenneled for 4-8 hours at a time regularly) ;(

Hope there is a couple or two in the area that stumble upon this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This isnt a gaming couple, but you should try attending one of the sages meetups. I am sure you can find a couple of people there that will happily meet up with you on a regular basis.

Happy hunting!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/800
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys know you are always welcome to either:
- Come to our game days for some awesome gaming, every month. Where you will meet more couples.
- Come hang out with us. I know we are one of those busy couples you mentioned, but we miss hanging out with you guys. My work is busier than ever, we always try to make time for our friends.

The group at Sages is excellent. There are several couples that show up there besides ourselves. The group up in MI, (Ann Arbor, where you guys go quite a bit IIRC) that Fograsher belongs to is excellent. Plus, who wouldn't want the opportunity to game with the Legendary Jeremiah Lee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Shackelford
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
fograsher wrote:
This isnt a gaming couple, but you should try attending one of the sages meetups. I am sure you can find a couple of people there that will happily meet up with you on a regular basis.

Happy hunting!

We went to sages one night but my wife felt kind of eh on it. There was only one girl other then her that night and it was the girl we came with Most of the games that hit the table were also being played with huge groups where she prefers more intimate 2-5 player games.

I really appreciate the suggestion and we may even stop by some time again, but while I was ok with it my wife just didnt feel it was the place for her.

@John. Thanks. Ill send a PM in a sec.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
Plus, who wouldn't want the opportunity to game with the Legendary Jeremiah Lee.
Ha! I'm a tourist attraction. Although, I don't think I've made it to Legendary status yet. I'm more of the 'not completely a sucker' variety.

I will vouch for Jon's game days. Lots of people there that might fit your desires. It's about 25% ladies, with anywhere from 10-40 or so people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
MSIMagus wrote:
fograsher wrote:

Happy hunting!

We went to sages one night but my wife felt kind of eh on it. There was only one girl other then her that night and it was the girl we came with Most of the games that hit the table were also being played with huge groups where she prefers more intimate 2-5 player games.

I really appreciate the suggestion and we may even stop by some time again, but while I was ok with it my wife just didnt feel it was the place for her.

@John. Thanks. Ill send a PM in a sec.

There are several wives and girlfriends that show up on a semi-regular basis. My wife comes out with me usually once a week or so.

Also, there are usually more women there for the sagefests on the first Saturday of every month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JL, you are a hero to me, my friend!

I've gamed with Barry a few times now, and there are at least 4-5 other couples I see at Sages on a regular basis. Plus, you may meet someone whos wife games, but doesn't go to sages.

I will boast though, that J&J's game days does boast a very low sausage/taco ratio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Shackelford
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
So we got together last night with Barry and his lovely wife Jenna. I am sure many of you know them from Sages. Definitely glad we posted the topic as we had a very nice evening! He also convinced us that we should try to come to Sages again sometime soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.